iTunes playback on Macbook Pro. Snap, crackle and pop!

sensei_russ

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
I switched from a Windows laptop to a Macbook Pro earlier in the year, mainly (but don't tell work) for a better performance from iTunes. However playback is actually far worse through headphones or the speakers due to pops/clicks/stutters in playback. I don't seem to have the problem when streaming to an Airport Express or Apple TV though... I was working (it occasionally happens) using the Macbook earlier today and every track that played either popped, clicked or stuttered for a fraction of a second. It's very noticeable after a while and completely ruined the listening experience. I never had this problem on my old windows laptop, even though it ran far slower and had other problems. I've tried searching the web but have struggled to come up with much in way of a fix. Please help!

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Err, strange one that, I use a MacBook Pro too and have never encountered problems with iTunes playback. What type of headphones are you using?

sensei_russ

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
I'm using Sennheiser HD25's but I'm sure it's not the headphones or speakers as it's not an electrical/static kind of 'pop'.

I think it could be an extremely short stutter in the playback that makes it sound like a pop/crackle.

I noticed it early on, when I got the macbook but tend to stream the music to the Apple TV etc so haven't thought about it too much. Now however, it's really annoying that I just want to plug in and listen.

sensei_russ

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
Any ideas anyone...?

Just to clarify, the pop/click usually only happens once during the course of a track being played on itunes. It does seem to happen on virtually every song though when I listen via headphones or the macbook speakers

Thanks

sensei_russ

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
Here's an update in the hope someone can help.

I'm now listening to iTunes on my Macbook Pro as Time Machine runs in the background. Backing up...

The sound is like listening to vinyl - and not in a good way. Basically lots of pops/clicks throughout, maybe every twenty or thirty seconds if not more often.

When I used the Macbook at home on the weekend it sounded absolutely fine, no pops/clicks at all. Also on that occasion the battery wasn't charging - I'm not sure if this affects things.

It's seems the problem could be due to the processor being taxed. Although at other times when I notice this problem it is usually when I'm at work. At those times I still only have Mac Mail open along with Firefox. Surely this can't be working the processor too hard?

Any help appreciated!

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Clutching at straws here but have you ruled out the power supply? What happens when you run the laptop off batteries alone?

sensei_russ

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
Nope, tried with power plug in and out...

It seems much better this morning, I've only had one click in twenty minutes listening so far.

One thought that occurred is that there is sometimes a longer than would be expected delay in the audio being switched to the headphones when I plug them in. It also sometimes switches back (briefly) to speakers even when the headphones are plugged in.

Hmmmm....

TRENDING THREADS