iTunes Library file is locked - help??!!??

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I'm constantly getting this message, "the iTunes library file is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have write permission for this file".

I've tried a few things, gleaned from Mac boards, and restarted several times, and had some success. But once more this morning I'm back to this frustrating message. I've not knowingly (famous last words, yes) changed anything.

My music is stored externally on a 2TB drive, and has been fine for the best part of a decade.

Has anyone the patience and knowledge to explain a fix, please? The simpler the tech speak the better.

Yesterday, I took delivery of a new DAC (the NAD 51), surely this wouldn't effect optically linked iTunes to DAC music, would it?

Whatismore, I'm currently able to stream music via Decibel, which I presume mirrors my iTunes library.

Help!!'

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
My iTunes library is accessed by two different Macs and the only time I've had this is when one Mac hasn't quit iTunes fully. The reason the library gets locked in the first place is to stop two instances of iTunes updating it at once. If for some reason it doesn't get unlocked when iTunes quits, next time you open iTunes it thinks the library is still in use. If you do have multiple computers accessing your iTunes library, this error can sometimes be fixed by re-opening iTunes on the computer which last accessed the library without error, then quitting again. If not, you need to force iTunes to unlock the library.

One way to force iTunes to unlock the library is to get iTunes to make a new library, then delete the new library and replace it with the old one. To do this, make sure you're completely out of iTunes, then drag the iTunes Library file from your iTunes folder to your desktop. Next, re-open iTunes. It might now say it can't find the library file and do you wish to create another, or it might just go ahead and make one without prompting. After iTunes has made a new library file, quit the app completely and drag your old library file back from the desktop into the iTunes folder. You will be asked if you want to replace the current library file, keep both, or cancel. Click 'replace'. With a bit of luck, iTunes should now let you back in to your old library.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
My iTunes library is accessed by two different Macs and the only time I've had this is when one Mac hasn't quit iTunes fully. The reason the library gets locked in the first place is to stop two instances of iTunes updating it at once. If for some reason it doesn't get unlocked when iTunes quits, next time you open iTunes it thinks the library is still in use. If you do have multiple computers accessing your iTunes library, this error can sometimes be fixed by re-opening iTunes on the computer which last accessed the library without error, then quitting again. If not, you need to force iTunes to unlock the library. One way to force iTunes to unlock the library is to get iTunes to make a new library, then delete the new library and replace it with the old one. To do this, make sure you're completely out of iTunes, then drag the iTunes Library file from your iTunes folder to your desktop. Next, re-open iTunes. It might now say it can't find the library file and do you wish to create another, or it might just go ahead and make one without prompting. After iTunes has made a new library file, quit the app completely and drag your old library file back from the desktop into the iTunes folder. You will be asked if you want to replace the current library file, keep both, or cancel. Click 'replace'. With a bit of luck, iTunes should now let you back in to your old library.

Thanks for your in depth reply. Blimey, I'm daunted but will give it a go. I am a veritable Luddite in these matters.

I've only got one "computer" but use my iPad more often than not to access iTunes, so that fits your theory. It hasn't been a problem before but that's hardly an insurance policy against it ever happening, obviously.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I decided to shutdown and restart the whole loop - router, Mac, Apple TV and Airport Express - and fingers crossed it seems to have done the trick. That was 6pm last night, so here's hoping it's all back to normal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts