iTunes & Apple lossless vs. FB2000 & FLAC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
PJPro:pete321:
PJPro:Where do you live?

You're starting a rod for your own back there! Thanks, but I'm going to try and persevere with trying to get bit perfect with WMP/MCE. I'll be keeping an eye on the ReClock updates with my fingers crossed.

As I write, I'm listening bit perfect via FB2000 to a 24/96 WMA Lossless download from Linn of Highwire by Dawn Langstroth, sounds great.

Alternatively, you could try and follow my primer and I can give you a hand when you get stuck. It can be tweaked to provide this...

3317396022_50c8b1ed91.jpg

...which is what I think you are after.

TBH, I rarely use the chronoflow front end myself......it's just bling. I mainly use the one above.

PJ, any idea what the problem is when I install the ASIO plugin there is no issue. However, when I try to go into options in WMP to enable it, I get ASIOWmpPlg:SOFTWAREASIO registry access error; error code 2.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:PJ, any idea what the problem is when I install the ASIO plugin there is no issue. However, when I try to go into options in WMP to enable it, I get ASIOWmpPlg:SOFTWAREASIO registry access error; error code 2.

I just tried and got the same error. I'm using Windows 7 x64, but made sure I opened the 32bit version of WMP to configure the plugin. Actually it's not the same error, it appears OK in the WMP plugins, but when I try to play something it says that the ASIO plugin is not properly initialized. I followed the setup instructions, not sure what the problem is.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:
PJ, any idea what the problem is when I install the ASIO plugin there is no issue. However, when I try to go into options in WMP to enable it, I get ASIOWmpPlg:SOFTWAREASIO registry access error; error code 2.
Did you follow the configuration instructions to the letter?

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Mine installed into WMP OK, but I'm getting the popular error code 80004002.

To install it, did you run as administrator and use the 32 bit WMP if you're on a x64 version of Windows?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
PJPro:Gerrardasnails:
It's just that this line seems a bit odd.....

"In the Speaker Properties, choose any device that will NOT be used for playback"

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, I thought that. I had to go into the BIOS to reactivate the onboard sound so that I could select that. Either way, it wouldn't work with either. I'm trying to get it to work with FB now, just to see if it's the plugin not working with W7 or WMP.

It looks like it doesn't like Windows 7, see here, that's exactly what i'm getting. More here on Windows 7 use. As the last link says, I can get playback of CD's in WMP, although it's jerky, it won't play files, you get the error message. The playback is bit perfect though, the Windows audio output was set at 24bit/96kHz, but my DacMagic showed it was receiving a 44.1kHz signal from the CD replay. In FB2000, it doesn't appear to be bit perfect, i.e. the Windows output setting is still having effect.

Hopefully the issues with WMP (W7) and ASIO will be sorted out soon - thanks Gerrardasnails, bit perfect in WMP is looking a bit more promising now.

A

Anonymous

And ...

Anybody know how to increase the font size in FB2K?

I need 24 pt as I'm using my 26" TV as the monitor for my nettop.

Thanks and regards.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
If you are using Columns UI, do the following........

File | Preferences. Preferences dialog opens.

Expand nodes Display | Columns UI | Colours and Fonts

Select the Fonts tab

You'll see a change button. To enable this button you need to change the Mode setting from System to Custom.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
PJPro:Gerrardasnails:

I think so. I've just tried an earlier version (the first one) and it worked. Not sure if it's going to make any difference to my extender playback but at least it shows that WMP can offer bit perfect playback. Something for the future maybe for me.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:I've just tried an earlier version (the first one) and it worked. Not sure if it's going to make any difference to my extender playback but at least it shows that WMP can offer bit perfect playback. Something for the future maybe for me.

What version of Windows are you using? Thanks

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
pete321:
Gerrardasnails:I've just tried an earlier version (the first one) and it worked. Not sure if it's going to make any difference to my extender playback but at least it shows that WMP can offer bit perfect playback. Something for the future maybe for me.

What version of Windows are you using? Thanks

Vista 32bit. Is there a way of seeing in WMP if the playback is bit perfect?

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Click on the speaker in bottom right of the screen to get the volume slider up, if you can't control the volume using the slider, it's bypassed Windows interference. Also, if you connect your PC direct to your DacMagic, set Windows to output, say 24bit, 96kHz in the Playback properties, then play a file which you know was ripped at 44.1kHz, if your DacMagic shows 44.1 then you know it's being sent a bit perfect signal, otherwise if would read 96kHz.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
pete321:Click on the speaker in bottom right of the screen to get the volume slider up, if you can't control the volume using the slider, it's bypassed Windows interference.

I thought so, no sound from my pc speakers but it works downstairs streamed to the extender - just think that the extender messes it up though. Will double check in a bit.

Cheers.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I couldn't get ASIO 4.3 to work at all with WMP in Vista x64, only partialy (jerky CD playback) on Windows 7 x64, but it seems that is a known problem at the moment.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
pete321:I couldn't get ASIO 4.3 to work at all with WMP in Vista x64, only partialy (jerky CD playback) on Windows 7 x64, but it seems that is a known problem at the moment.

have you tried installing the first version on Vista?

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:have you tried installing the first version on Vista?

No I haven't, the PC I use for music has Windows 7 installed and I don't really want to back to Vista.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:Pete, have you checked out albumplayer.com?

That looks interesting, I think I'll give it a demo, cheers.

Just Installed the Demo and successfully activated the ASIO mode. On playback of the files that come with the demo, the Windows volume control is disabled, but my DacMagic is telling me it's receiving a 96kHz signal. The files on the demo appear to be low quality (not the best to demo your player that you want people to buy!) with an 8kHz sample rate, seems like I won't find out for sure unless I buy the retail version.

A

Anonymous

PJPro thanks for the help with the font size.

Getting there step-by-step!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts