Issue with PS3 and Onkyo 606

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Morning all

I have a Panasonic 46PZ81, PS3 and Onkyo 606. The connectivity is as follows:

TV HDMI 1 In <<------>> Onkyo HMDI output via QED Qunex HDMI-P

PS3 HMDI <<------>>Onkyo HDMI input 1 via QED Qunex HDMI-P

The Onkyo is set to pick up the PS3 on HDMI 1 for audio and visual on the DVD function. It is set to pass-through HDMI in the settings menu too.

This all used to work fine and would go via the amp for sound/picture. One day - I couldnt get a picture on the screen but could hear the PS3 startup sounds coming through the amp. After numerous reboots of PS3 and turning amp off , the picture came up and the PS3 was at its setup menu prompting me to select whether I had an HDMI (initial setup). All was OK again, but now I have the same problem. I have even tried a different HMDI on the amp but to no avail.

I by-passed the amp and ran an HDMI straight from the TV to the PS3 and that worked fine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi there.

Okay, so basically if you hook the PS3 up straight to the TV via HDMI, it works fine, but if you connect it via the amp you don't get any picture until you reset it using the 5 second press of the power button? Is that right?

A

Anonymous

If you do the 5 second press that resets the graphics settings doesn't it? Maybe the amp is having problems with the PS3 changing resoultions or something.

A

Anonymous

Thanks both for your response. The 5 sec press doesn't do the job. At the moment via the amp, I cant get anything. I tried setting the hardware setup for HMDI to Auto last night but still no joy. The one thing I could try is swapping out the HDMI between the PS3 and amp even though it is a new cable.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
kevin_m:The one thing I could try is swapping out the HDMI between the PS3 and amp even though it is a new cable.

Yes, this is definitely the first thing to do. If the 5 sec reset doesn't work and the PS3 works okay straight into the TV, this suggests there's a fault in either that cable or the amp itself.

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I assume the following is the same as the 5 sec reset?

Turn on your PS3 as normal but keep your finger on the Power button. You'll
get the first beep, as normal, then about eight seconds later a second beep and
your PS3 will restart - this time defaulting to the most basic, lo-res, SCART
friendly TV output.

After resetting the PS3 to lo-res output, does it appear in lo-res on the TV (i.e. has the reset worked)?

I've just checked my PS3 and Onkyo. The PS3 is set to automatic output resolution, and HDMI on the Onkyo is set to Auto.

If it worked before, but doesn't now, that would suggest either the PS3 or Onkyo has reset something, or one or the other has a fault. Do you have anything else connected to the amp via HDMI, and if so I assume that's still working?

A

Anonymous

Hi guys

Sorry Prof and Alwatson, I thought the 5 sec step was how to turn it off without having it on screen, only twigged once Eletroman said its on boot up. Anyway I did this today and didnt work. I tested that process using the cable from the TV to the plamsma and that worked so I set the audio and video to HDMI auto. I also changed the cable between the PS3 and Amp to a brand new QED HDMI, so don't think the cable is the issue. I made sure the Hardware Setup is set to Auto for HDMI.

Electroman - I wanted to test my SKY HD via the amp but since Sky swapped my box out last week (bug) the box wont turn on so they coming out this weekend, can try that after then.

Looking more like the amp at the moment, difficult to prove and only less than a year old.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Have you tested both the cables i.e. plug both straight from the PS3 to the TV one after the other. If they're both working there, you can rule them out. Have you got any other HDMI devices you can test the amp with to see if they work okay when plugged into the same input?

Where did you purchase the Onkyo from? If it was from a dealer, you could look to taking it back to them to demo the problem.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

The cable that was in there originally did work between the PS3 and amp. However I will test that one again and the new one via the TV to be sure. I just spoke to Denserve? Onkyo support. They suggested what you and Electroman said about trying another HDMI source. Will have to wait for new Sky box. They then said try and factory reset on the amp. Purchased from Richer Sounds but Denserve said it has a two-year warranty and they would pick up box and test.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Hello,

On Friday night, I reset the amp with no joy. I had my SKY HD box swapped out on Sunday, heard there are many probs with the Thomson box they are giving. Anyway I tried the SKY into the amp and that didnt work. Will get onto Richer Sounds or Onkyo soon.
emotion-6.gif

A

Anonymous

Afternoon all,

Well I picked up the amp from Richers Sounds after it had been at the Onkyo repair centre. Plugged in all the speakers and the right front channel wasn't working. They replaced a PCB so maybe that could have caused it, but it shows it wasn't tested. Anway, went back to Richers Sounds in Watford and had a good chat with the deputy manager Jamie (very helpful). He agreed to give me a credit note for the full price so I could put towards another amp. I didn't want the same 606/607 range and they didnt have the 875/876. They had one 906 left which meant I had to pay a lot more to get - so I treated myself and bought it!!! Its a beast and all working nicely with the KEFs. Not sure I can notice the any improvement on SKY HD 1080i upscaling to 1080P.

Morale of the story - had an unlucky amp and Richer Sounds get my vote, and $$$ less in the bank.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
kevin_m:
Not sure I can notice the any improvement on SKY HD 1080i upscaling to 1080P.

Try setting the Sky+ HD box to auto and letting the big Onk do all the upscaling - you should notice more of a benefit then. Hope that helps!

A

Anonymous

Prof - you were correct with your RS advice! Thanks re 906.

Clare - Working from home so was able to try this now, only prob in setting SKY to auto is that it takes about 5 secs to change channels before the Panny shows the pic, whereas its instant when set to 1080i?

A

Anonymous

Just set the Panny aspect from Auto to 16:9 which is quicker. Still find the writing much more clear on the Sky planner (new EPG!) when set to 1080i.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
kevin_m:
Prof - you were correct with your RS advice! Thanks re 906.

Clare - Working from home so was able to try this now, only prob in setting SKY to auto is that it takes about 5 secs to change channels before the Panny shows the pic, whereas its instant when set to 1080i?

That's because thew TV is checking resolution every time you change channels, whereas in 1080i mode the Sky box is scaling everything to 1080i, sometimes not terribly well.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew. Will keep in Auto and test it out. Great forum BTW
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts