isolators for CD player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi I read that Vibrapod isolators or similar would improve the quality of my CD player ( a cheap Marantz CD 38). Meanwhile I've tried putting Styrofoam (polystyrene) - a thick solid section- under each of the CD player"s feet. I find it hard to tell the difference in sound. Does anyone have experience or knowledge about this? Is this styrofoam enough? I don't want to order vibrapods if they won't do any better than styrofoam. Thanks

A

Anonymous

Putting things under your CD player doesn't make a difference. It's all quackery.

A

Anonymous

I have aluminium cones and they make a difference. demo some.I did and there were some obvious improvements in clarity with some isolaters and not others.I heard a set of nordost ones made from titanium, costing £300,and they were superb.Big big difference to the sound.However they are rather expensive but good aluminium ones will help. I have even seen someone place an aluminium sheet on top of their cd player.Again, very noticeable difference.Try them out first if you can and see if you notice a difference.Try not to pay any heed to anything posted by keith mcalpine or nigel proctor.It's the same guy and he is a bit of a technological luddite.

A

Anonymous

What sort of aluminum sheet do you mean, a slice of foil? What's the theory behind this improvement, is it shielding or is it vibration damping through weight? I've been toying with the idea of making some isolation platforms from large pieces of slate with squash balls underneath. Will report whether it works once I've done it!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="igglebert"]What sort of aluminum sheet We talking a slice of foil here? What's the theory behind this improvement, is it shielding or is it vibration damping through weight? I've been toying with the idea of making some isolation platforms from large pieces of slate with squash balls underneath. Will report whether it works once I've done it![/quote]

A sheet of aluminium about 1cm thick and about a foot wide by 10 inches deep.The idea is it damps the casing.Worked very well if rather unattractive to look at.

A

Anonymous

Speaking of damping CD players with heavy metal, I had a listen to the Unison Research Unico P today. Weighs a ton so I think I should buy one to place on top of my CDP ;-) Sweet amp though, would take the edge off my speakers nicely...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Fraziel"]I have aluminium cones and they make a difference. demo some.i did and there were some obvious improvements in clarity with some isolaters and not others.I heard a set of nordost ones made from titanium, costing £300,and they were superb.Big big difference to the sound.However they are rather expensive but good aluminium ones will help. I have even seen someone place an aluminium sheet on top of their cd player.Again, very noticeable difference.Try them out first if you can and see if you notice a difference.Don'y pay any heed to anything posted by keith mcalpine or nigel proctor.It's the same guy and he is a technological luddite.[/quote]

Such devices are designed purely to part mugs from their money (see how well they work, just read the above!!!) and have not been properly tested by anyone. Save your money.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Keith McAlpine"]Such devices are designed purely to part mugs from their money (see how well they work, just read the above!!!) and have not been properly tested by anyone. Save your money.[/quote]

Keth McProctor Rumpo-Scuttle Oldphrt, earlier today...

A

Anonymous

I use a slate slab that sits on squash balls under my cd player. Managed to get my hands on an old pub pool table and got a builder mate of mine to cut it down for me. I also have a granite chopping board on top of the player.

A

Anonymous

Good to hear I'm not off my rocker with the slate idea then.......a granite chopping board, what a good idea, I'll have to try that. I'm very 50/50 on this topic so I'd better stay off the malt when I do the test. Wonder whether different malts will produce a different sound, I think I should test this now...

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Going off track here slightly, I just wondered whether 1/ as Keth McProctor Rumpo-Scuttle Oldphrt believes that isolation under CD players is all quackery- he believes the same to be true about Turntables.
2/ Exactly what Keth McProctor Rumpo-Scuttle Oldphrt's system is composed of ?-as he seems to be so willing to tell us what we should be doing with ours.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Keith McAlpine"][quote user="Fraziel"]I have aluminium cones and they make a difference. demo some.i did and there were some obvious improvements in clarity with some isolaters and not others.I heard a set of nordost ones made from titanium, costing £300,and they were superb.Big big difference to the sound.However they are rather expensive but good aluminium ones will help. I have even seen someone place an aluminium sheet on top of their cd player.Again, very noticeable difference.Try them out first if you can and see if you notice a difference.Don'y pay any heed to anything posted by keith mcalpine or nigel proctor.It's the same guy and he is a technological luddite.[/quote] Such devices are designed purely to part mugs from their money (see how well they work, just read the above!!!) and have not been properly tested by anyone. Save your money.[/quote]

Actually they have been properly tested.By me and a few friends not to mention all the other people at the hi fi exhibition who were astonished by the difference the isolators and the aluminium sheets made.Case proven.I bet you have not even demo'd the isolators or aluminium sheets.You just post cobblers based on your own arbitrary luddite attitudes.

A

Anonymous

Forgot to mention, the titanium and aluminium cones are available to buy from nordost and the aluminium sheets are available to buy ( i think) from custom design.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I have to say I disagree with most here....sorry guys!

I couldn't hear any improvement from any so call Isolation feets/platform! as long as the cdp is dead level....what's a problem? all imo

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]I have to say I disagree with most here....sorry guys!

I couldn't hear any improvement from any so call Isolation feets/platform! as long as the cdp is dead level....what's a problem? all imo
[/quote]

Even if it is dead level the casing still resonates.The sheet stops it, and can make a noticeable difference.

A

Anonymous

Actually, just checked custom design site and its no longer aluminium. the following is a description of what they now have

"The Non Magnetic Stainless Steel Inert Casework Matt is placed on top of your equipment and absorbs unwanted resonance which occurs in the case work of CD players, DVD players and Amps. The Matt is manufactured from the now famous Acoustic Polymer with stainless steel which Custom Design has pioneered. The system works on the principle of constrained layer dampening, which is two sheets of the same material of different thicknesses, a ratio of 3:1 we have found to be the most efficient, bonded together with the patented polymer. The polymers viscoelastic properties converts kinetic energy to heat, by preventing excessive resonance from effecting the performance of your equipment the Inert Casework Matt will enhance the sound by providing clarity, separation and adding an inky blackness to your base. It will also assist in producing sharper imaging and vocals for DVD players."

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Fraziel"][quote user="Thaiman"]I have to say I disagree with most here....sorry guys!

[/quote]

Even if it is dead level the casing still resonates.The aluminium sheet stops it, and can make a noticeable difference.[/quote]

Yes, maybe but can you actually "hear" any diference

A

Anonymous

[quote user="bluetorric"][quote user="Fraziel"][quote user="Thaiman"]I have to say I disagree with most here....sorry guys!

[/quote] Even if it is dead level the casing still resonates.The aluminium sheet stops it, and can make a noticeable difference.[/quote]

Yes, maybe but can you actually "hear" any diference
[/quote]

I was at a hi fi exhibition with a few friends about 4 years ago, and we all heard the difference.Definite improvement.It's expensive though.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I have no problem with my current electronics but my old 308cr use to ring a little so I put it on a wooden chopping board (£12)....job done.

A

Anonymous

I use an even cheaper solution. I use a soft and thick material (made of some kind of plastic I believe) which is actually intended to be used as a pad in kitchen. Hey, does it work! It is supposed to absorb vibrations in the casing and it does so neatly sitting underneath the player. I have nothing on the top, I don't feel the need of.
IMO, it is better to invest in a CDP with a better transport and pay a little attention on the stability of the rack, than spend hundreds of quid on damping.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
IMO CD players/ transports need isolation from vibration simply because of the fact there is a mechanical process in the signal chain (the spinning disc) and the very fine tolerances involved in reading a cd. The cheaper / lighter units need it more then the heavier players.

Since I have already been down this road, you might want to see : http://whathifi.com/forums/p/3649/19510.aspx#19510

I believe Fred Scuttle actually agreed with me!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Anton90125"]The cheaper / lighter units need it more then the heavier players.[/quote]

That says it all.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="ranjeetrain"]IMO, it is better to invest in a CDP with a better transport and pay a little
attention on the stability of the rack, than spend hundreds of quid on damping[/quote]

Spot on mate, in fact that cover all angles of Hifi. Invest in big three rather than the tweaking items such as oak feets, cables and racks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts