Isolation Platforms

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello I would like some views on Isolation Platforms please. I've read that they can enhance the performance of your equipment, i.e. C.D's e.t.c. They seem to come in a variety of materials ,i.e. Granite, Acrylic and Torlyte to name a few. Any feedback would be appreciated .Thanks.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I will let you know. I bought two granite chopping boards which I will have some (I forget the material) rubber like pods between. These are going under my amp. Two reasons I have planned to do this. First my Creek Evo will sit next to my AV receiver which is double the height - I wanted to balance them better so that they don't look odd! And also, because I've heard it can make the sound slightly better. The boards were £9.99 from Tesco (it's Finest range as well) which I thought was excellent value and the pods were £8 from Ebay. Not an expensive experiment and it will at least make my stand look more symmetrical.

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi,
In my experience isolation platforms/ equipment racks can make a big difference to a system's performance. However, there are significant differences in performance between those available on the market. As a rule platforms made from heavier materals (Marble, etc) tend to empasise sonic stability and bass power (often at the expense of agility and sparkle) and thise made from lighter materials, such as Torlyte - tend to go the opposite way. Depending on design some isolation platforms will also emphasise certain frequencies so sounding punchier or more exciting.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]I will let you know. I bought two granite chopping boards which I will have some (I forget the material) rubber like pods between. These are going under my amp. Two reasons I have planned to do this. First my Creek Evo will sit next to my AV receiver which is double the height - I wanted to balance them better so that they don't look odd! And also, because I've heard it can make the sound slightly better. The boards were £9.99 from Tesco (it's Finest range as well) which I thought was excellent value and the pods were £8 from Ebay. Not an expensive experiment and it will at least make my stand look more symmetrical.[/quote]

This is exactly what i use for my isolation platforms (the isolations pods being the Flatfeet range i found on ebay). It is an inexpensive method but extremely effective and the difference is audible!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
That's great to hear ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit, I got mine from the same person on Ebay I reckon.

As I've mentioned on other posts, I am having my new walnut rack being delivered on Saturday (hifiracks.co.uk) and I have held back from trying anything until it gets to me. I have my RS6s set up on granite platforms too (they look good!). Once in place I will send some pics. I hope I am happy with the isolation platforms like you.

A

Anonymous

Good luck with it all! I also have my speakers on top of the Flatfeet Ultra's - they made a huge differnce with the bass being much more focused and also helped with not annoying the neighbours!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]I will let you know. I bought two granite chopping boards which I will have some (I forget the material) rubber like pods between. These are going under my amp. Two reasons I have planned to do this. First my Creek Evo will sit next to my AV receiver which is double the height - I wanted to balance them better so that they don't look odd! And also, because I've heard it can make the sound slightly better. The boards were £9.99 from Tesco (it's Finest range as well) which I thought was excellent value and the pods were £8 from Ebay. Not an expensive experiment and it will at least make my stand look more symmetrical.[/quote]

That sounds like damn good value.... What size are they? and how much do they weigh?

A

Anonymous

Hi everyone. I use the very same chopping boards under my speaker stands and I also have one on top of my cd player. Was going to use one under my cd player and amp too but managed to get hold of a slate slab off a pub pool table. Cut them up to size and sanded and polished them . On the whole a big difference in sound quality for little money. Another cheap way is ti place squash balls cut in half under the chopping boards.

A

Anonymous

Hi Gerrardasnails

I have a granite chopping board under my cd player (£9.99 from Morrisons / Tesco / Sainsburys).

You say you have granite boards under your MA RS6s. Do you have a carpet down or directly onto floorboards? And do you use the speaker spikes on top of the granite boards?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Granite under electronics can cause "case ringing" , I would recommend Wooden choping board for cd player and Granite under speakers if you like to play the tweaking game :)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I have better quality granite slabs under the speakers a little bit thicker and more rounded than the chopping boards - they look great. The are on carpeted floor and I took the spikes off the feet. The rubber feels more stable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts