Isolate it?

Fahad

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
I have been saving some money for an Ortfon Black for quite sometime, guess a pretty obvious upgrade from current blue (well there is actually nothing wrong with it, serving me well for a good 5 years).

Recently I visited a friend's house who had mounted his floor standers on IsoAcoustics GAIAs. I never actually thought much about the isolating solutions but was completely blown away when I heard his speakers. I mean I had heard them before but this time, it sounded like it something completely different (in a good way of course). So immediately, I ordered two sets of GAIA 3s for my floor standers which are yet to arrive and obviously, they took a big chunk out of my allocated fund for the cartridge.

Now I have my turntable just sitting on a marble slab on top of a wooden media console. If I dont buy the cartridge at all and add an isolation platform (IsoAcoustics, Pro-ject, there are some options out there), can I expect something a"big" improvement? or should I save up for a few more months and still go for Ortofon Black?

Fahad

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
Can't vouch for the effects with a turntable, but I use feet and platforms from this place, and find the effects significant - better, taughter bass in particular, but every aspect sounds better:

Hifi noise isolation magnetic levitation feet | Solid Air Audio
[/QUOT

Seems like there are a few "budget" options there...

Fahad

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
There may be an improvement, perhaps not big. If you can get one to try with possibility of returning then it might be worth a go. The biggest improvement will come with the cartridge upgrade though.

Yeah, I guess, probably not go for black and go for a different brand like Nagaoka MP150...I used to own a 110 around 8 years ago on a project debut turntable which was nice...I have heard good things about MP150 but never tried it.

Unfortunately, through international shipping and all, returning the isolation platform is probably not possible.

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
I have been saving some money for an Ortfon Black for quite sometime, guess a pretty obvious upgrade from current blue (well there is actually nothing wrong with it, serving me well for a good 5 years).

Recently I visited a friend's house who had mounted his floor standers on IsoAcoustics GAIAs. I never actually thought much about the isolating solutions but was completely blown away when I heard his speakers. I mean I had heard them before but this time, it sounded like it something completely different (in a good way of course). So immediately, I ordered two sets of GAIA 3s for my floor standers which are yet to arrive and obviously, they took a big chunk out of my allocated fund for the cartridge.

Now I have my turntable just sitting on a marble slab on top of a wooden media console. If I dont buy the cartridge at all and add an isolation platform (IsoAcoustics, Pro-ject, there are some options out there), can I expect something a"big" improvement? or should I save up for a few more months and still go for Ortofon Black?

I recently purchased a set of the Gaias for my speakers following a recommendation from a fellow member here.
I was very impressed with them, especially across the midrange.
I've never purchased any isolation products for my electronic components, but have rather invested in quality racks. My current rack does have an additional plinth for the turntable, but the whole unit is a spike and cup design.

Reactions: Fahad and Al ears

rainsoothe

If you want to isolate the turntable on a budget, use an IKEA apitilig bamboo chopping board on 4 Vibrapods (they vary in supported weight, so choose accordingly). That should let you budget for your Ortofon Black, or a Nagaoka mp200 or whatever :)

Fahad

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
Vibrapods sound like a great idea.

We have a dining table that is being replaced that has a 1.5 inch thick wooden table top. If I cut out pieces from that, I can actually create platforms for not only the TT, but also my CD player, tube preamp and power amp.

Guess that should work as well right?

Reactions: rainsoothe

abacus

It depends on you turntable, if it is a suspended sub chassis then no, isolation will not make a difference, (Just make sure you keep the lid closed when playing your vinyl to completely isolate it from the outside vibrations) if it is unsuspended then yes, isolation will help so long as you remember to remove the lid when you are playing your vinyl. (If you leave the lid attached you will probably get a worse performance)

Bill

It depends on you turntable, if it is a suspended sub chassis then no, isolation will not make a difference, (Just make sure you keep the lid closed when playing your vinyl to completely isolate it from the outside vibrations) if it is unsuspended then yes, isolation will help so long as you remember to remove the lid when you are playing your vinyl. (If you leave the lid attached you will probably get a worse performance)

Bill
Whichever type of turntable you own the best isolation is a wall-mounted platform, in my opinion. Granted this isn't an option for many.

Fahad

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
I tried vibrapods years ago - not up to much.
I actually have quite a different experience with Vibrapods. I used to own a pair of KEF R500s which was quite boomy in my listening room. With vibrapods under the spikes, the problem was completely gone.

The situation a bit different now, there is no problem. Its just that I was so impressed with the GAIAs for floor standers that I was wondering whether something similar can be achieved with isolating the TT.

Fahad

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site

Bill
Oh, my TT is a suspended sub chassis.

Reactions: rainsoothe
I actually have quite a different experience with Vibrapods. I used to own a pair of KEF R500s which was quite boomy in my listening room. With vibrapods under the spikes, the problem was completely gone.

The situation a bit different now, there is no problem. Its just that I was so impressed with the GAIAs for floor standers that I was wondering whether something similar can be achieved with isolating the TT.

I've tried lots of vibration-absorbing methods over a great many years, and the Solidair stuff is the most effective (and cost-effective) that I have found.

It's also my personal experience that keeping working on reducing vibration has always helped.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts