Is this speaker wire too thin?

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Hello everyone,

My friend has just bought an Onkyo TXNR3007 and 4x Bose Freespace DS100SE speakers wired with New Generation Belden 5300FE wire.

This has all been installed in his party room by the shop where he bought it here in KSA.

The issue he has is that at any thing over 50 on the volume knob seems not to have any increase in volume.

The wire is the thinest I have ever seen for an amp, I'm guessing about 0.75mm of copper. Would this have an effect on the ability of the amp to transfer volume?

I said I'd ask for him before the installers (clowns) come back tomorrow to continue pressing buttons in an effort to fix it!

Thanks

A

Anonymous

It could be a little thin for longer stretches, but I doubt it would just stop. Check the AV menu that you haven't got a "MAX VOL" set. I have the option on my receiever although it displays this on the screen when reached.

If you google "Recommended speaker guage (AWG) guidelines" you will find a page with some recommendations.

Yours is AWG 18.

Although I use quite thin wire on the rears and have had no problems.

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Thank you so much for the reply, did exactly as you said and googled. Very interesting reading. I am guessing his speaker wire runs must be over 10m, so it would seem thicker gauge is needed. I'll also check out whether or not his amp has a max volume setting too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts