Question Is there something wrong with my hearing???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Miguel Telles

Sep 2, 2021
Visit site
Sell the cable too... 😂 then you’ll have more to spend on a CD player

The cable is for my CA 851N streamer ;)... I just borrowed it to test the cd players...

Do you think it's a waste of money?... I know that cables are a sensitive topic ;)... Just curious about your opinion... I'm not trying to start a war hehehehe

If your picture shows how you listened to them then I suggest to try siting the CD players further away. I don’t think putting the new model on top of a BIG transformer in your amp will help the sound at all. Worth a try.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tinman1952

Florestander

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Could this be a case of the amp needing a while to 'burn in'? I am relatively new to this, so I am not sue whether this is actually a 'thing' but there are certainly people who consider it to be so....

The other matter of course is that we cannot beat nature, and as we age, our hearing facility becomes impaired. That is some of us may not be as sensitive to the higher and lower frequencies that we could once hear, in our youth. This may be a factor in not picking up the brightness that you like - or a combination of both factors. Of course this could not be the case if you could hear the brightness you seek in your old model immediately before replacing it. And if that is the case, I am not sure I can help at all....

Miguel Telles

Sep 2, 2021
Visit site
If your picture shows how you listened to them then I suggest to try siting the CD players further away. I don’t think putting the new model on top of a BIG transformer in your amp will help the sound at all. Worth a try.

Really? Do you think it would make difference?... Never thought about that :)

Tinman1952

Agreed. Plus it won’t help your amp to stay cool… There’s a reason people buy hifi racks 🙂

Miguel Telles

Sep 2, 2021
Visit site
Could this be a case of the amp needing a while to 'burn in'? I am relatively new to this, so I am not sue whether this is actually a 'thing' but there are certainly people who consider it to be so....

The other matter of course is that we cannot beat nature, and as we age, our hearing facility becomes impaired. That is some of us may not be as sensitive to the higher and lower frequencies that we could once hear, in our youth. This may be a factor in not picking up the brightness that you like - or a combination of both factors. Of course this could not be the case if you could hear the brightness you seek in your old model immediately before replacing it. And if that is the case, I am not sure I can help at all....

Thanks for your reply :)

Maybe I didn't explain myself properly... The Amp is not new, I have it for around 3 years... And the older cd player, beside the malfunction, with a little persistence it would play. So I was able to listen to the same CDs in bought players. Alternating between the two...

Oh... And by the way... I was listening through my Sennheiser 6xx, to make the differences more obvious.

Miguel Telles

Sep 2, 2021
Visit site
Agreed. Plus it won’t help your amp to stay cool… There’s a reason people buy hifi racks 🙂

Haahahah... You are right :)... This is not the definitive position, I place them like this just to test them... But I never thought that placing the cd player above the amplifier would make any difference in the sound...

shadders

Hi @Miguel Telles ,
There is no issue with stacking Hifi components, if they have metal enclosures. The metal enclosure acts as a significant barrier to radiated electrical and magnetic fields.

Most equipment implements toroidal transformers, and they specifically have a low external radiated magnetic field :

States :
"Although in the past, closed-core inductors and transformers often used cores with a square shape, the use of toroidal-shaped cores has increased greatly because of their superior electrical performance. The advantage of the toroidal shape is that, due to its symmetry, the amount of magnetic flux that escapes outside the core (leakage flux) is low, therefore it is more efficient and thus radiates less electromagnetic interference (EMI). "

Only issue you may need to consider is that enclosure vents in the top of the equipment must not be blocked and for those equipment types, optimal not to stack components on top of these if they utilise significant power.

Regards,
Shadders.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts