Question Is there something wrong with my hearing???

Miguel Telles

Sep 2, 2021
Visit site
Hello :)

I'm new around here... And I have a lot of questions for the experts in this "audio world" LOL...

Ok, so long story short.

I have a Rotel RCD-930AX since the 90´s... Some time ago it started to have problems. Don't recognize de Cds and only plays them whenever it feels like it... I guess it needs a little maintenance.

So, I bought a new one. Nothing to fancy because lately I listen mostly to Tidal... Read some reviews and found a good deal on a Rotel CD11.

Placed the two players on top of my Rotel RA-1572 ( I will speak about this amp in a diferente post), so I could alternate music between them... And... You know what??? I think The old Rotel is much better! More crispy, more detailed, more opened!... Is this possible? I mean, this was my fist Hi Fi system, when I was in my 20´s and couldn't afford more... I remember it was the entry level option. I guess the CD 11 Is also entry level, but it's almost 30 years younger.

So, am I hearing right? Or does this actually makes sense?

Thanks in advance for your replies :))

Sorry for the bad English...

Attachments

• 20210902_144943.jpg
    20210902_144943.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 15

Miguel Telles

Sep 2, 2021
Visit site
Proof (if it was needed) that newer doesn't have to mean better.
It can take a while to fully appreciate a different sound - probably not gonna happen for you though Miguel.
I doubt there's anything wrong with your hearing.....I SAID I DOUBT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH YOUR HEARING!

hahahahhahahahahahahahahaha :)))))

That was Funny :) LOL...

I don't think that's a question of getting use to it. It just doesn't have that... ... "sparkle" ( for a lack of a better word) in the high end, that I appreciate so much.

It seems dark... Just a little bit, but it's enough for me to notice it...

You are going to laugh with my next post ;)... Just wait until I talk about the amplifier hehehehe... That's the amazing part ;)...

Oh... You can speak normally, I'm wearing my hearing aid :))))) lol

Reactions: Gray

Miguel Telles

Sep 2, 2021
Visit site
Different DACs generations apart will give a different presentation, plus you are obviously more used to the older one.
I get that, but I thought that a new dac would be much better. I mean, we are talking about digital technology right?

It´s not just a different sound, it's less detailed above all else...

Tinman1952

I get that, but I thought that a new dac would be much better. I mean, we are talking about digital technology right?
You would think so … but interestingly the latest R2R DACS that everyone is raving about (Denafrips etc) have gone back to the ‘old’ resistor ladder technology rather than delta sigma chips……food for thought?

Miguel Telles

Sep 2, 2021
Visit site
Hopefully could be just a dirty laser…you could try a cleaning disc. 👍

Yes, probably it's just that... But, even if its a more profound repair. I think it's worth it...

I'm thinking more and more that 90's where the golden age for Rotel... I have a similar experience with the amplifiers but I will leave that for a different post.

It sounds like you have made a mistake in buying this unit. If that is the case, then you need to sell it.
Maybe you would prefer the cd11 tribute model?
Or maybe try Cyrus CD Player instead. They may suit you better.
To tailor the sound to that which suits you most it is probably better to buy a transport only then you can mess around with various DACs

Reactions: Miguel Telles

Miguel Telles

Sep 2, 2021
Visit site
It sounds like you have made a mistake in buying this unit. If that is the case, then you need to sell it.
Maybe you would prefer the cd11 tribute model?
Or maybe try Cyrus CD Player instead. They may suit you better.

Probably... But I don't listen to a lot of cds lately... So, in all honesty, I didn't put a lot of energy in this purchase... Just read some reviews...

I'm hoping that using it as a transport would resolve the issue. If not... I guess it's going away... ;)

What would be, in your opinion a good cd player, in the entry level market? Or a cheap second hand option...

I'm done with Rotel... They're new stuff it's not for me...

That Cyrus, you talked about... is it expensive?

Thanks for your reply ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts