Is the Nad D3020 the answer?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
And that's why the common response is 'audition' whenever these types of threads appear not the blah blah blah misleading stuff you love to post......

That was a very simple-minded thing to say. Auditioning is a must, but auditioning everything is impractical. So often we refer to reviews, forums such as this, and yes, also specs, to narrow the stuff that interests us and we would like to audition. Some people don't even have the chance of auditioning because of where they live.

So again, even though specs don't tell the whole story, of course they matter. And whoever wrote the misleading marketing stuff of the Nad D series knows that well, or wouldn't have bothered.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't see what the issue is here... It's a 30W per Channel amplifier at either 4 ohm or 8 ohm loads.

Reading the views of people who have heard it, it would seem that it sounds good and retains clarity and purity when listening to music from any source.

It offers facilities other stereo integrated amplifiers do not. It seems to me that it does as it says on the tin.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
No such thing as clarity in purity in amplifiers. Those metaphores should be replaced with a simple phrase ' the amplifier plays music without audible distortion to my personal satisfactory levels.' And of course it will. It has the soft clipping circuitry. You may never know when it kicks in, especially not in large dynamic transient peaks.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
What?

Specs is one thing, what's we are seeing in recent threads is a joke.

Graphs that mean nothing, pictures of an amp with its innards exposed .....totally irrelevant.

But anyway......

unsleepable said:
Thompsonuxb said:
And that's why the common response is 'audition' whenever these types of threads appear not the blah blah blah misleading stuff you love to post......

That was a very simple-minded thing to say. Auditioning is a must, but auditioning everything is impractical. So often we refer to reviews, forums such as this, and yes, also specs, to narrow the stuff that interests us and we would like to audition. Some people don't even have the chance of auditioning because of where they live.

So again, even though specs don't tell the whole story, of course they matter. And whoever wrote the misleading marketing stuff of the Nad D series knows that well, or wouldn't have bothered. 

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:
No such thing as clarity in purity in amplifiers. Those metaphores should be replaced with a simple phrase ' the amplifier plays music without audible distortion to my personal satisfactory levels.' And of course it will. It has the soft clipping circuitry. You may never know when it kicks in, especially not in large dynamic transient peaks.

I'm sure there are many metaphors in audio which could be substituted for something else. If I said something produced a warm sound you wouldn't think I was talking about heat would you? ;)

Anyway surely a lack of distortion is purity of the signal is it not?

Besides, if it 'plays music without audible distortion to personal satisfactory levels' what's the problem? Isn't that the product performing as it was designed to do?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Distortion is an accurate term. Why use clarity as if we are shopping for jewelry? *biggrin*

Many times distortion is percieved as more excitement, richness, clarity, transparency. Therefore it is missleading term.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
No such thing as clarity in purity in amplifiers. Those metaphores should be replaced with a simple phrase ' the amplifier plays music without audible distortion to my personal satisfactory levels.'

I think that the words 'clarity' and 'distortion' are interchaneable.

Good clarity = low distortion and vice verca.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Added distortion is easily interpreted as more clarity, and so is lack of a fullrange sound, specifically bass (I can link audio files so you hear for yourself). To some a larger excitement in the upper midrange above flat FR is interpreted as more clarity. Metaphores are by their nature inaccurate depictions and this is why science uses its own terminology, to avoid this. Hi-fi astrology on the other hand heavily relies on them.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Added distortion is easily interpreted as more clarity, and so is lack of a fullrange sound, specifically bass (I can link audio files so you hear for yourself). To some a larger excitement in the upper midrange above flat FR is interpreted as more clarity. Metaphores are by their nature inaccurate depictions and this is why science uses its own terminology, to avoid this. Hi-fi astrology on the other hand heavily relies on them.

True.

A louder treble can often seem like it has more clarity even though it's not.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Clear, bright, warm, harsh, thin, muddy, soft, clinical etc... etc...

How else are we supposed to describe how the sound actually sounds?

When have you ever heard anybody say "I can hear you loud and without distortion" as opposed to "I can hear you loud and clear"? In fact the term 'crystal clear' is often said, but we aren't talking about crystal.

In the English language we can use many words and phrases for different meanings.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I know, we are stuck with those unfortunatly. I use them as well. Problem is they don't have the same meaning to everyone. Clinical to you can be detailed and transparent for me etc.

This is just a hobby so no big deal if it's irrational and disposable income goes on toys for grownups. However, imagine a doctor telling your cholesterol levels lack clarity. It's very likely the suggested treatment would involve leaches from the nearby pond.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MeanandGreen said:
Clear, bright, warm, harsh, thin, muddy, soft, clinical etc... etc...

How else are we supposed to describe how the sound actually sounds?

When have you ever heard anybody say "I can hear you loud and without distortion" as opposed to "I can hear you loud and clear"? In fact the term 'crystal clear' is often said, but we aren't talking about crystal.

In the English language we can use many words and phrases for different meanings.

It would appear that some concentrate on the music a system produces, while others concentrate on the distortion....C'est la vie! *scratch_one-s_head*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts