Is the Denon ceol N8 too bassy or boomy, or is it fine ?

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the denon dm37 which is noticably too bassy and boomy, is the denon ceol like this at all, its just I am on the verge of buying one as I believe it should sound very similar to the marantz mcr603 or mcr610 from what I have read, just making absolutely sure before I buy, also the speakers I will be using are dali zensor 1 ?

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
davedotco, I have got rid of the system today after owning it for just over 4 years and was using the denon speakers that came with it, but I would really like to know if the Denon Ceol N8 is too bassy as well as it is made by Denon or is it very much like the marantz as they are now owned by the same company I believe, and that others have said that it is basically the same unit as the marantz under the covers, again just making sure before I buy ?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Snooker said:
davedotco, I have got rid of the system today after owning it for just over 4 years and was using the denon speakers that came with it, but I would really like to know if the Denon Ceol N8 is too bassy as well as it is made by Denon or is it very much like the marantz as they are now owned by the same company I believe ?

It was the speakers that came with the original unit that was causing the issues. The Ceol 8 and Zensor 1 will be fine.

Assuming of course that you position and set up the system correctly and use it within it's capabilities.

matthewpiano

Agreed - those Denon speakers are a bit like that! Also, did you ever experiment with the Bass Enhance setting on the DM-39DAB? It is slightly hidden in the menus but as a default it is switched on....

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I think the Ceol 5 has more guts that the dm9 , the 8 has i think just the cd deck added , I dont think you'd find anyone here to call the merantz 6xx , but thats 500 quid , I see you sold the speakers aswell , I went with the denon 5 and some speakers i had . If had to buy speakers aswell I'd do the merantz and sbetter speakers , but I'd listen long and hard

James

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
matthewpiano, yes I tried with the bass response which made it a little better but still too much bass I would say, also mathew you answered my last thread the other day, so just to put my mind at rest the ceol N8 should be excellent as you said, no bass issues ?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Snooker said:
matthewpiano, yes I tried with the bass response which made it a little better but still too much bass I would say, also mathew you answered my last thread the other day, so just to put my mind at rest the ceol N8 should be excellent as you said, no bass issues ?

Read my post above, specifically the bit......

"Assuming of course that you position and set up the system correctly and use it within it's capabilities"

matthewpiano

Snooker said:

I very much doubt you will have any bass issues with the N8, particularly partnered with the Zensor 1s. Those speakers are very hard to get boom out of unless you position them really badly. When I heard the N7 (predecessor of the N8) with Boston Acoustics A26s it sounded very clean and clear. Then again, when I had a DM39 here, coupled with Q Acoustics 2020i, I never had any issues with the bass and I really dislike boom and overhang.

HOWEVER, you really would be best to take a bit of time to audition the system before you buy it. We all hear things differently and you need to have the confidence that you are making the right purchase. You also need to be very open to the fact that neither the Marantz MCR610 or the Denon CEOL RCD-N8 are as nicely finished as your departed Denon unit.

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies above, and it just gives me even more confidence that the Denon ceol N8 is the right choice and this is based on "everything" I have read about it on this site and on the internet in general, and am willing to take the chance that it will be a very good buy, and that I will put up my own review for others to read soon :)

Cynic-al

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi Snooker, been using my Denon Ceol with CM8's for best part of 2 years, it's the first mini system I've ever owned(always had separates before).

I auditioned it against a Naim and Rega amp and couldn't here enough of a difference to justify the extra spend. The system is used every day and is

really musical with no bass boom or fatiguing treble.

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Cynic-al thanks for posting, interesting that it sounded around the same as a naim etc, just goes to show how good these systems are currently priced around the £500 mark with speakers, thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts