Is my CD player broken ?

vonchief

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

My Cd player has started jumping back to an earlier track whilst in the middle of playing.

It dosent skip as such,it all sounds fine apart from this occasional problem.

Ill be listening to track 10 then suddenly track 1,2 0r 3 for a while.

I don't mind a bit of variety , but would prefer to listen to what i have chosen.

I have tried a cleaning disc which made no difference and just taken the top off the player but everything looks really clean.

Any advice ?

Its a marantz CD17 KI

Thank you.

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Nope, your player just sounds as though it needs a good service. Typically the problem you are talking about is mechanical, and is caused by the tracking failing to advance, which is why it does the best it can and resets itself to an earlier track. At least, that’s my best guess without seeing it!

Phone around your local hi-fi dealers and ask if they know of anyone who does repair work. It won’t be a problem for someone who knows what they are doing, and shouldn’t be expensive to repair.

vonchief

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site
After reading this I have taken the lid off again, cleaned the lens carefully with a cotton bub and warm soapy water.

I have also cleaned and re-greased any parts that looked to be greased.

So far so good. I have managed to listen to a complete CD without any issues.

I hope this is all that was needed as that is about all I can do.

I appreciate you replying to my question and will take your advice if problems persist.

Fingers crossed.

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
vonchief said:
I have also cleaned and re-greased any parts that looked to be greased.

So far so good. I have managed to listen to a complete CD without any issues.

I hope this is all that was needed as that is about all I can do.

Pretty much, there is no way that it was anything to do with the lens, as this would cause skipping all over the place. What usually happens is that after a period of time the old grease dries out and becomes tacky causing dry spots on the laser travel mech. This in turn causes the laser carriage to stick and blocks the advance of the laser.

Congratulations on what sounds like a simple service that most players need at some point in their life. I tend to find bike grease (Campagnolo) works the best, as a lot of the alternatives dry out too quickly. One last thing you might like to try is running an 80 minute CD through its full length a few times at normal play speed. This spreads the grease out evenly, and is worth doing once every few months just to keep the travel free.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts