Problems with Rega Apollo-R CD player

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a Rega Apollo-R CD player. The SQ is better than any CD player I've owned before, but from the day I bought it it's been far more temperamental than any other CD player I've owned. By temperamental, I mean more likely to stick or skip, grind to a halt or simply refuse to play a disc. I assumed that perhaps Rega had decided to use less error-correction in order to get better SQ (I think I read years ago that things such as error-correction tended to reduce SQ, but that might be nonsense). So I lived with its quirks.

A year ago, however, it suddenly refused to play any disc beyond about 40–45 minutes. At that point, the sound will stop and it starts that 'grinding' noise of trying to find the correct bit of the disc to read. This is with every disc, not just some. So it's effectively become unusable.

Has anyone else encountered this? Do you know what might be causing it, and what I can do about it? I'd be grateful for any advice.

I have and have used an Allsop Pro-Lens Cleaner disc, so that's not the answer.

In case you're wondering why it's taken me a year to post about this, it's because of serious illness. I've been using a blu-ray player as my CD player until such time as I can deal with the fault.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

I’m not familiar with the Rega, but I’m aware that the laser can be realigned in some CD player models. I very much doubt you’re the first owner to have encountered this. As you probably know, the reason it’s more likely to skip towards the end is because those ‘grooves’ are nearer the outside edge of the disc, where any alignment problem is more apparent. Assuming you’re in the U.K., a call to a Rega dealer would be on my ‘to do’ list for Monday morning.

http://www.rega.co.uk/uk-dealers.html

PS. Hope you’re fully recovered now!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
I have a Rega Apollo-R CD player. The SQ is better than any CD player I've owned before, but from the day I bought it it's been far more temperamental than any other CD player I've owned. By temperamental, I mean more likely to stick or skip, grind to a halt or simply refuse to play a disc. I assumed that perhaps Rega had decided to use less error-correction in order to get better SQ (I think I read years ago that things such as error-correction tended to reduce SQ, but that might be nonsense). So I lived with its quirks.

A year ago, however, it suddenly refused to play any disc beyond about 40–45 minutes. At that point, the sound will stop and it starts that 'grinding' noise of trying to find the correct bit of the disc to read. This is with every disc, not just some. So it's effectively become unusable.

Has anyone else encountered this? Do you know what might be causing it, and what I can do about it? I'd be grateful for any advice.

I have and have used an Allsop Pro-Lens Cleaner disc, so that's not the answer.

In case you're wondering why it's taken me a year to post about this, it's because of serious illness. I've been using a blu-ray player as my CD player until such time as I can deal with the fault.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

I used to own a Saturn and whilst not as bad as what you've been putting up with, which souns terminal, it was slow at reading CD's and refused to play some, traded it in for a Naim after 3 months

Perhaps, try contacting Rega and explain your situation and they might take a lookat it.

Mac

ww.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, both. I appreciate the info. Yes, I'll probably have to get in touch with the dealer, although it's likely to be some time before I can do that.

I was also hoping to catch the attention of Paul Darwin, as he's always really good at replying to any threads about Rega problems in the turntables section. Does he participate in this part of the forum, do you know?

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Thanks, both. I appreciate the info. Yes, I'll probably have to get in touch with the dealer, although it's likely to be some time before I can do that.

I was also hoping to catch the attention of Paul Darwin, as he's always really good at replying to any threads about Rega problems in the turntables section. Does he participate in this part of the forum, do you know?

He does (Paul that is) so bumping this up to catch his attention, but he may well ask you to take it to your nearest Rega dealer in any case.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts