Is musicality what you first thought?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Slothy

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
You know, I’ve really got to try one of these Atoms.
So many people are saying the same thing, that it’s got to be worth a home demo.
May I ask what speakers you’re using with it?
It’s paired with B&W CM8 s1 and a REL T5i. Did think about changing speakers to PMC twenty5 23 but after auditioning at Rayleigh HiFi couldn’t hear enough of an improvement to justify outlay. I’m very happy with system as it is. I use it more than anything previous.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Going back to op's query as to 'musicality', when I first got into music, many moons ago, it was all in the music or songs, my attention was 100% into music. There was Doris Day, Bing Crosby with White Christmas, then Elvis Presley, at the time when I was a very young boy and his voice was so warm and songs so melodious. Then came the Beatles, Wow they blew me away, what they introduced into music was a revolutionary tsunami. Then when I was knocking on the doors of early adolescence I wanted to know more about early Rock'n'Roll, I got a slight whiff of it and the energy of the music lured me for life. As my music discovery enlarged on the way there would be a song, which for me was so good that hairs stood on the back of my neck and I got goose pimples; I remember one of the songs was 'River Deep Mountain High' by Tina Turner. Then following the hobbies of my best friend I too got HiFi (amplifier, turntable and speakers), later Akai reel to reel was added. My music tastes expanded and I started to collect vinyl Lp's. Because of the HiFi I started to listen more closely to the music, maybe because the system bought out more aspects of the music than just listening to radio or cassettes. Now in the present day I try to compare what was more enjoyable, the discovery of music or trends back in the heady days of being a young boy with an impressionable mind or listening presently to all genres of music via a quality audio system? On both situations I find enjoyment, but the enjoyments are different. The present day situation I have a more mature ear and I listen out to more things in music then when I was a boy, when the system displays on the money timing, is dynamic and brings out lovely textures of instruments, I am happy. However when I was a boy without HiFi but confronted new music, trends and great melodies, it was a real physical experience, I was fascinated by the melodies, rhythms and the instant emotions bought out in me. I remember hearing Paint it Black by Rolling Stones for first time and if somebody said at the time, the sound is rubbish I would of replied 'Who the f&*k cares listen to the song...!'

As an example,
My current system cost me just over £6,000 before cables, rack etc
AVR - £2200
Stereo speaker - £1250
Centre - £500
Rear -£550
Subwoofer - £1500
Sonos Connect - £350

In my office I have a pair of Ruark Active Speakers at £330 connected via Bluetooth to my phone.

The HC system is awesome with films and has on paper all the ingredients for good music, but I honestly find the £330 Ruarks more engaging with music...no question.
Sell your system....

Sliced Bread

It’s paired with B&W CM8 s1 and a REL T5i. Did think about changing speakers to PMC twenty5 23 but after auditioning at Rayleigh HiFi couldn’t hear enough of an improvement to justify outlay. I’m very happy with system as it is. I use it more than anything previous.
Well that’s reassuring! I’m using CM8’s and Rel S3 SHO 👍

Reactions: Slothy

Sliced Bread

Going back to op's query as to 'musicality', when I first got into music, many moons ago, it was all in the music or songs, my attention was 100% into music. There was Doris Day, Bing Crosby with White Christmas, then Elvis Presley, at the time when I was a very young boy and his voice was so warm and songs so melodious. Then came the Beatles, Wow they blew me away, what they introduced into music was a revolutionary tsunami. Then when I was knocking on the doors of early adolescence I wanted to know more about early Rock'n'Roll, I got a slight whiff of it and the energy of the music lured me for life. As my music discovery enlarged on the way there would be a song, which for me was so good that hairs stood on the back of my neck and I got goose pimples; I remember one of the songs was 'River Deep Mountain High' by Tina Turner. Then following the hobbies of my best friend I too got HiFi (amplifier, turntable and speakers), later Akai reel to reel was added. My music tastes expanded and I started to collect vinyl Lp's. Because of the HiFi I started to listen more closely to the music, maybe because the system bought out more aspects of the music than just listening to radio or cassettes. Now in the present day I try to compare what was more enjoyable, the discovery of music or trends back in the heady days of being a young boy with an impressionable mind or listening presently to all genres of music via a quality audio system? On both situations I find enjoyment, but the enjoyments are different. The present day situation I have a more mature ear and I listen out to more things in music then when I was a boy, when the system displays on the money timing, is dynamic and brings out lovely textures of instruments, I am happy. However when I was a boy without HiFi but confronted new music, trends and great melodies, it was a real physical experience, I was fascinated by the melodies, rhythms and the instant emotions bought out in me. I remember hearing Paint it Black by Rolling Stones for first time and if somebody said at the time, the sound is rubbish I would of replied 'Who the f&*k cares listen to the song...!'
That’s very well put Romulus. I know exactly what you mean :)

TRENDING THREADS