Is Linn really that good?

Ernie

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Today I set out and auditioned some (on paper) really nice set ups.

Marantz 6005 amp and cd with Dali Znsor 5 and q acoustic 2050i. Didn't like it at all, it hurt my ears and this is the 2nd time I have heard this combo with differen speakers and music.the electric guitar from rock bands sounded like a screech.

the same speakers with a Naim unitilite. Still didn't do it for me. Just didn't get the clarity I was looking for.

Then, in comes a Linn Sneaky DSM with Linn Majik 140 speaker. This put a smile on my face and drew me into the music as if I could listen to it for hours. I listened to music in both 16 bit and 24 bit on it, both lovely with superb clarity in the music, and I could hear every string on the guitar and sounds in tracks I hadn't previously heard. The speakers were bi amped.

My my question is, is the Linn system really that good? Or have I just not listened to a wide enough range of kit. The cost came in at £3600 by the time a nas drive was added and cables. Way over my budget. Is the quality coming from the sneaky itself or it's DAC?

I am now just considering a Pioneer A30 PD 30 combo to replace my newly broken Denon micro to get me through the next couple of years until I can afford such a system (if I save very hard)I could then add a quality external DAC to play music from my computer and ipad also.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I would say you have already found out the answer to your question.......

Yes the Linn is that good and if I was in the market for an all-in-one streamer/amp etc then it would be Linn.

Recently heard a Sneaky and to me it outclassed an Unitilite

matthewpiano

Ernie said:
Then, in comes a Linn Sneaky DSM with Linn Majik 140 speaker. This put a smile on my face and drew me into the music as if I could listen to it for hours. I listened to music in both 16 bit and 24 bit on it, both lovely with superb clarity in the music, and I could hear every string on the guitar and sounds in tracks I hadn't previously heard. The speakers were bi amped.

This (in bold) is the definition of a good system.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
- IME. Linn Streamers "are really that good".

- I have been going on about how surprisingly good the Sneaky is for some time, on here.....Linn have their own processing / filtering / upsampling, which is why it sounds like it does.

- Linn Amps are good, but certainly not head and shoulders above stuff like Sugden, Electrocompaniet and Pathos.

- Linn's more budget speakers are OK, but I think Kef Kef R Series / LS50s are considerably better.

- Linn's Sneaky and Majik DSM sound very good with the R Series.

Go with what your ears tell you is more enjoyable.

manicm

Ernie said:
My my question is, is the Linn system really that good? Or have I just not listened to a wide enough range of kit. The cost came in at £3600 by the time a nas drive was added and cables. Way over my budget. Is the quality coming from the sneaky itself or it's DAC.

Common wisdom seems to suggest a digital system lives or dies by its DAC alone. But streamers are not made equal in my opinion. if not necessarily better - one or the other. In contrast to 99% of other streamers, Linn has a push model instead of a traditional pull model. Their streamers command the control software to push the audio files from the server to the device. Which may also explain why their streamers have been notoriously difficult to set up by buyers themselves - in the early days at least.

Also note -if I'm correct Linn's top 2 streamers share the same DACs, if not in quantity.

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
If it drew you into your music, regardless of what anyone says, it is good for you! And Linn are known to make exceptionally good products...

I have heard the same kit that you mentioned above, and I would hands down go for Linn, even I feel that it is clearly better than the others you said you heard.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
stevebrock said:

You kept that quiet.

Was it as a source only, or using its own amp? What speakers were on the end of it? How would you describe the sound?

ESLee

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I heard a full Linn Klimax system and it was the nicest system I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. Mind you, the 6 Klimax amps powering the B&W 802 Diamonds may have helped to bring the best out of the Klimax DS. Superb!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
My system is all Rega with my TT being my main source - knowing what I know now I think I would of been tempted to go for a Linn Streamer from the start - and yes Linn have got there streamers working as they should.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
stevebrock said:
My system is all Rega with my TT being my main source - knowing what I know now I think I would of been tempted to go for a Linn Streamer from the start - and yes Linn have got there streamers working as they should.

:cheers:

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
stevebrock said:

You kept that quiet.

Was it as a source only, or using its own amp? What speakers were on the end of it? How would you describe the sound?

Cno, as you know Cymbiosi are Linn, Rega, Naim - if they are not busy they let me listen and swap boxes about - it was very brief on the end were some Kudos C20 - lovely lovely sound. It was the Sneaky using the amp. very smooth - non fatiguing

they also have the Klimax in the main shop area palying as background - sounds so unobtrusive

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Ernie, I think you should try to listen to a wider range of kit. You could host or a attend a bake-off or two. I'd be happy to bring a £415 system to any bake-off that you or your dealer might host.

Ernie said:

Marantz 6005 amp and cd with Dali Znsor 5 and q acoustic 2050i. Didn't like it at all, it hurt my ears and this is the 2nd time I have heard this combo with differen speakers and music.the electric guitar from rock bands sounded like a screech.

the same speakers with a Naim unitilite. Still didn't do it for me. Just didn't get the clarity I was looking for.

My my question is, is the Linn system really that good? Or have I just not listened to a wide enough range of kit. The cost came in at £3600 by the time a nas drive was added and cables. Way over my budget. Is the quality coming from the sneaky itself or it's DAC?

I am now just considering a Pioneer A30 PD 30 combo to replace my newly broken Denon micro to get me through the next couple of years until I can afford such a system (if I save very hard)I could then add a quality external DAC to play music from my computer and ipad also.

Well, if Linn is good enough for Prince Charles....

Ernie

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Ernie, I think you should try to listen to a wider range of kit. You could host or a attend a bake-off or two. I'd be happy to bring a £415 system to any bake-off that you or your dealer might host.

yes listening to to a wider variety of manufacturers kit sounds like a plan. I still can take away the sheer quality I heard from the Linn equipment today and beating it will be difficult.

What would your £415 selection be?

Ernie

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Ernie said:

Well, if Linn is good enough for Prince Charles....

i bet he didn't have to work a few extra shift to pay for his :-/

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Ernie I'm sure the Linn kit was that good but as you say £3600! Compared with £500 speakers and a entry leval amp. I'm sure you could find somthing in between to give you the sound you're after.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to be the black sheep in this thread, i've listen to Linn systems more then once, as i've the nacional (Portugal) dealer at 100mts from my home.

Listen to sneaky, Majik, Akurate connected to Linn Majik 109,140, Akurate 242 and Akubarik, didn't make my day!

Yes they are very musical, exelent timing, very precise( but Naim is very precise as well) but some how I find Linn dull... For the money I can buy a system that fill my needs in a very different way.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
I'm going to be the black sheep in this thread, i've listen to Linn systems more then once, as i've the nacional (Portugal) dealer at 100mts from my home.

Listen to sneaky, Majik, Akurate connected to Linn Majik 109,140, Akurate 242 and Akubarik, didn't make my day!

Yes they are very musical, exelent timing, very precise( but Naim is very precise as well) but some how I find Linn dull... For the money I can buy a system that fill my needs in a very different way.

That was probably down to the Linn Speakers.

I never rated the amps either, until I heard them with the R Series.........it's a funny game, this hifi lark.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Find a Rega dealer and demo a Brio R, Rega DAC and rega RS3 speakers, take with you your PC and connect it to rega DAC through is USB input and you will have a BIGGG surprise. Change speakers if you must, at the end you can buy your self a Synology NAS with 2 HD, ithing, set back and listen to your tunes like never before.

Just a thought...

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

That was probably down to the Linn Speakers.

I never rated the amps either, until I heard them with the R Series.........it's a funny game, this hifi lark.

I did it Cno, if you remember i've a home demo with my Dyns and still didn't like the Majik DSM...

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Find a Rega dealer and demo a Brio R, Rega DAC and rega RS3 speakers, take with you your PC and connect it to rega DAC through is USB input and you will have a BIGGG surprise. Change speakers if you must, at the end you can buy your self a Synology NAS with 2 HD, ithing, set back and listen to your tunes like never before.

Just a thought...

Sure they had that setup at the Bristol show last year - it sounded a shouty mess when I was in there - not what I was expecting at all

Will try again this year and hope for better things

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
I did it Cno, if you remember i've a home demo with my Dyns and still didn't like the Majik DSM...

I have heard the Linn with many speakers, and the only ones I really enjoyed it with, were the Kefs.

Saying that, I'd take a Pathos over a Linn amp, but would use the DS as a source. :shifty:

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

I have heard the Linn with many speakers, and the only ones I really enjoyed it with, were the Kefs.

Saying that, I'd take a Pathos over a Linn amp, but would use the DS as a source. :shifty:

After I submit my post i've thought of that, never eard a Linn as a source, but still Cno 2500€ (give or take) for a source, hell i'll be a whole year demoing digital sources with that kind of money...

I think i've find mine already but need to save up some €s first... Have ever heard this...?

http://www.lindemann-audio.de/en/products/musicbook-series/

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
After I submit my post i've thought of that, never eard a Linn as a source, but still Cno 2500€ (give or take) for a source, hell i'll be a hole year demoing digital sources with that kind of money...

I think i've find mine already but need to save up some €s first... Have ever heard this...?

The Sneaky is the best digital source I've heard at around £1k (less ex-dem).

CnoEvil said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
After I submit my post i've thought of that, never eard a Linn as a source, but still Cno 2500€ (give or take) for a source, hell i'll be a hole year demoing digital sources with that kind of money...

The Sneaky is the best digital source I've heard at around £1k (less ex-dem).

:? Last time it was the best source below 2k. Any more offers? ;)

TRENDING THREADS