Question Is LG NanoCell and Samsung QLED worth it over normal LCD?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

This Samsung gets stunning reviews:

Its only 55-inches again though and still over budget.
Cheaper here with £60 voucher and 5 year warranty:

D

Deleted member 2457

The difference in quality between low budget 65-inch models and high end top TVs for 55-inches is huge! You can get a top quality and the best TV ever made in the Samsung 55Q90R for £1139 at Hughes.

PM_121

Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
Where did you see the good reviews of the LG TVs? Can you link them?
I didn’t link, I just said looked good, looking further into TV as I ever have, seems local full dimming is good and the SM90 has this, whereas the SM80 is only edge so not sure

This Samsung gets stunning reviews:

Its only 55-inches again though and still over budget.
I definitely want a 65” as that is max I could ever have in living room without a complete rejig of room which we won’t be doing, and bigger is better!?!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2457

Strange though that other sites around rate the TV, maybe it was a faulty one? This is why it’s so hard to pick a TV....grrrr
I very sorry for you my friend it’s a hard decision to make. You have a good budget for a TV where was you thinking of buying from perhaps that will help?

PM_121

Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
It is, it wasn’t until I started to look into it more ha ha.

I like to have good warranty so will be Currys with the 5 yr on some, Richer Sounds or John Lewis. Prefer a well known brand to be honest

D

Deleted member 2457

Have you thought about Sony? Not sure if it does all the Apple things.

This Sony is very good though:

PM_121

Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
These are JL choices:

Curry’s choices:

Have you thought about Sony? Not sure if it does all the Apple things.

This Sony is very good though:

Which are recommended though. After online chat with LG it seems most of the LCDs are the same, very few differences, I’m sure they just mix models up to confuse us and show they have a big model spread.

Sony I’ve read that the OS is slow and not the best, and don’t think it has the Apple stuff either.

Looking at the LG 2020 SM8050 Nano, but not sure on HDR and contrast. Whereas the 2019 SM9010 looks like was a more higher spec, but last year model, but has Dolby HDR and sound etc.9010 is £50 more at £950

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2457

I have found one that’s good but slightly over budget but you get a free Soundbar:

It reviews well too.

D

Deleted member 2457

Do you have to buy it now? Or can you wait because this will drop.

SpursGator

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
I did a huge amount of research on this when I bought a TV 18 months ago. OLED is the best but it isn't practical, cost-wise, for really big screens. So the real race, if you aren't rich, is to find the alternative that comes closest. Based on what I saw, the Samsung QLED technology is the best available unless you can afford OLED (and even then the difference wasn't huge). The Samsung Q6 series is the least expensive TV with this type of screen. Most of the upgrades above that are either cosmetic (thinner, better looking) or give fairly minor improvements for the cost (filters, over-refresh, etc). Below the Q6 (the U6000-7000-8000 series) you lose the QLED so this seems to be the real jump in value for money.

I bought the 75" Q6 and have been hugely, hugely happy with it. It's a LOT cheaper that the top of the line Q9 that Gel linked, but the screen is basically the same.

PM_121

Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
The LG 65” SM9800 seems to be exactly the same as the 65” SM9010. I asked LG chat and they said the 9800 had “true colour pro” compared to no pro on the 9010, don’t think much difference really. I’m or 100% though how many dimming zones they each have, both have Full array dimming pro though.

So I thinkThe SM90 and SM98 are nigh on the same spec wise. However the review on here the SM9800 doesn’t get a good review, so presume means same for SM9010. Other sites however do rate the SM9800 so was it a “bad set” that WhatHiFi? got?

Anyone have an SM9010 or SM9800 please?
Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts