is it possible I have damaged it?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
the unthinkinable has happened, I accidentally hit the tonearm whilst the cartridge was in the groove which caused the stylus to skip to a few lines down a record. how can I check if I've caused any permanent damage?

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
possible .in my dim and distant past after a drink or 5 I have done the same without any damage as tracking at 1.5 / 2.0 grams more likeley to have damaged lp unless of coarse you put a lot of wait on it but if you only nocked it it will most likely be ok

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Check the cantilever with a magnifying glass, it will be obvious if it's damaged, bent either left or right, if it's not it's probably ok, the diamond on the shank are fairly resilliant, tracking vibrations they have to be, if it looks ok play the same record, if it's screwed, it's screwed what have you got to lose, i'd rather replace a scratched record than a cartridge any day.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
I'll need to buy a magnifying glass. I've played some records and they sound the same and no noticeable difference just my mind is racing thinking I've done some kind of permanent damage.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Do you have a digital camera with a 'macro' mode? If so then you have saved yourself the expense of a magnifying glass. (Some digital compacts can focus from as close as a centimetre or two.)

Use the maximum image quality and photograph the stylus. Then crop and magnify the image on your screen. The quality won't be brilliant, but - so long as it's focused on the stylus tip - it will be good enough to see the stylus profile or any damage.

A

Anonymous

If you place the stylus onto the rotating record and look straight at it from the front the stytlus/cantilever should be in the centre and not to the left or right. Looking sideways on, the bottom of the cartridge should be about 1mm - 2mm above the record surface, depending on the tracking weight applied. If these check out and the sound is o.k. then no harm done.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
thanks for the handy tips. if the stylus was damaged wouldn't the sound be different or there would distortion of some kind?

TRENDING THREADS