Is it easier to spend money on hifi than music

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I would imagine, like me, almost everyone who has an interest in hifi got there purely in the pursuit of enjoyment of their music. Ironically, I now find it much easier to find gear that I'd like to buy than music.

I use Spotify Connect to audition as much new stuff as I can and then buy anything that appeals. 30 years ago, an album was something I had to save for but now that I can afford to buy as many albums as I want, I struggle to find enough stuff that really hits me.

Does anyone else find this? Is it an age thing, has my brain shrunk to the point I'm not open minded enough? Or has it always been the same, but I just didn't notice because financial limits balanced my supply and demand?

Appreciate other perspectives.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
No, I have yo wrestle with myself to buy hardware especially if what I have works well.

Music I buy no problem - you have to buy music...

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
No, I have yo wrestle with myself to buy hardware especially if what I have works well.

i love buying music, it's finding music I want to buy that's the issue.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I think there is some truth in the argument that streaming spoils us, which can lead to apathy and ironically to disinterest. With so much music on tap the sense of occasion, anticipation, excitement that used to be associated with buying new records and CDs has gone. But that was an important part of the whole experience. In the haydays of records and CDs it's like you could only take one sweet out the tin so you chose wisely and savoured the taste. Now we live in Willy Wonka's chocolate factory and the novelty's worn off.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I think there is some truth in the argument that streaming spoils us, which can lead to apathy and ironically to disinterest. With so much music on tap the sense of occasion, anticipation, excitement that used to be associated with buying new records and CDs has gone. But that was an important part of the whole experience. In the haydays of records and CDs it's like you could only take one sweet out the tin so you chose wisely and savoured the taste. Now we live in Willy Wonka's chocolate factory and the novelty's worn off.

That's how it feels when we are old and technology has surpassed us. New generations who don't know of CDs, cassettes and LPs don't feel the nostalgia for physical media, or need anticipation of running to a B&M store and buying to enjoy music.

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I've also read that music that you listen to during the hormonal years cements a place in your heart that nothing that follows it can because of the way your brain is at that stage in your development (a bit mushy if my eldest lad's anything to go by).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
splasher said:
Thompsonuxb said:

i love buying music, it's finding music I want to buy that's the issue.
You need to check out the, "What have I been listening to" threads on here, along with the likes of Paradise Radio, which plays a very eclectic mix of stuff and gives its playlist and artists (with links to Amazon to buy them).

If you like Classical/Jazz, then Linn Radio is worth finding.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
That's how it feels when we are old and technology has surpassed us. New generations who don't know of CDs, cassettes and LPs don't feel the nostalgia for physical media, or need anticipation of running to a B&M store and buying to enjoy music.

But they share the same apathy, partly caused by how easy they can access and consume music, that's cheapened and trivialised the experience. When I was a teenager I knew exactly who all the contemporary artists were, I knew what was number one, and I sat in front of a cassette deck to record my favourite songs off the UK Top 40 on Sunday evenings, trying to time it right so I didn't get Simon Bates or Tommy Vance taking over the outro. We all did. Most kids these days can't tell you what's number one, and they don't even care.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Vladimir said:

But they share the same apathy, partly caused by how easy they can access and consume music, that's cheapened and trivialised the experience. When I was a teenager I knew exactly who all the contemporary artists were, I knew what was number one, and I sat in front of a cassette deck to record my favourite songs off the UK Top 40 on Sunday evenings, trying to time it right so I didn't get Simon Bates or Tommy Vance taking over the outro. We all did. Most kids these days can't tell you what's number one, and they don't even care.

I strongly disagree about today's kids not knowing who's #1, not enjoying music and not following trends. If anything social media and portable digital music has enhanced this compared to previous times. Everytime I open Tidal I'm bombarded with Jay-Z, Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus and Lorde. And I listen to none of it. The whole music industry caters to young people today.

EDIT: I should add that I completely understand your point. I saved money to buy CDs even if it meant not buying better clothes or sneakers or fancy bike etc. The hunter-gatherer in me enjoyed hoarding music. But I don't think people who are born into streaming and portable digital music enjoy music less than I did.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
MajorFubar said:

'Old up' yourselves and not me please. My main sources are streaming wirelessly via iPhone and iPad with AirPort Express/AirPlay and Bluetooth (and optical) connecting everything to an integrated amplifier/DAC. I only buy CDs in order to rip them.

I have very little nostalgia for the sources of yesteryear and I have even - finally - shed my attachment to FM radio in favour of iPlayer Radio. I am also a fully paid up user of Apple Music and Amazon Prime music.

Oh yeah, the equipment most 'youths' could afford back in rosie tinted times was garbage. Let's not pretend they all had Garrard transcriptors and Quad systems.

Nowadays you only need a half decent mp3 player/phone/tablet and some good earbuds to have a system capable of infinitely better quality than a wannabe Dansette with a worn ceramic stylus and a mono, portable cassette player.

T1mb0

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
splasher said:
I would imagine, like me, almost everyone who has an interest in hifi got there purely in the pursuit of enjoyment of their music. Ironically, I now find it much easier to find gear that I'd like to buy than music.

I use Spotify Connect to audition as much new stuff as I can and then buy anything that appeals. 30 years ago, an album was something I had to save for but now that I can afford to buy as many albums as I want, I struggle to find enough stuff that really hits me.

Does anyone else find this? Is it an age thing, has my brain shrunk to the point I'm not open minded enough? Or has it always been the same, but I just didn't notice because financial limits balanced my supply and demand?

Serious question, have you tried listening to the radio?

I'm a huge fan of streaming and have been for years but I find the best source of inspiration for finding new music comes from listening to the radio (normally Jazz FM and Classical FM online services) which I then look up the artist on Qobuz.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
T1mb0 said:
splasher said:

I'm a huge fan of streaming and have been for years but I find the best source of inspiration for finding new music comes from listening to the radio (normally Jazz FM and Classical FM online services) which I then look up the artist on Qobuz.

Jazz on 3 is quite good too. *good*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
Vladimir said:
MajorFubar said:

'Old up' yourselves and not me please. My main sources are streaming wirelessly via iPhone and iPad with AirPort Express/AirPlay and Bluetooth (and optical) connecting everything to an integrated amplifier/DAC. I only buy CDs in order to rip them.

I have very little nostalgia for the sources of yesteryear and I have even - finally - shed my attachment to FM radio in favour of iPlayer Radio. I am also a fully paid up user of Apple Music and Amazon Prime music.

Oh yeah, the equipment most 'youths' could afford back in rosie tinted times was garbage. Let's not pretend they all had Garrard transcriptors and Quad systems.

Nowadays you only need a half decent mp3 player/phone/tablet and some good earbuds to have a system capable of infinitely better quality than a wannabe Dansette with a worn ceramic stylus and a mono, portable cassette player.

MP3 has no soul!
oldman.gif

masterblaster

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
I guess it's about 50/50 with me, once in a few years some large upgrade in my system and in meantime building up a music collection. I like qobuz very much and their suggestions and catalogue stimulated me to buy more music.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Much easier to buy music than hifi. Hifi takes much longer to considerand you have to go and listen, compare, etc. Music I can buy from my armchair.

I don't buy much "pop" music nowadays, although I do buy reissues of 1960s / 1970s stuff. I'm still buying lots of classical as I explore both new repertoire and new versions of old repertoire.

Chris

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
T1mb0 said:

I do listen to radio, but mainly radio 2 and 6. I like a broad range of music but most would be found in the "rock and pop" section. I struggle with jazz and classical to be honest. Stuff I've bought in the last year that was the artists "latest release" includes Arctic Monkeys AM, Paulo Nutini Castic Love, Muse Drones, Foo Fighters Sonic Highways, Jake Bugg Shangrila, Kings of Leon Mechanical Bull, Gretchen Peters Blackbirds.

All good but probably only one album a month. I'm sat here listening to 2112.

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Much easier to buy music than hifi. Hifi takes much longer to considerand you have to go and listen, compare, etc. Music I can buy from my armchair.

*biggrin* when I said easy, I meant to find stuff you think you want, rather than the physical process of buying. That said, against all advice and common sense, I bought my speakers from my armchair with a single click.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
+1 for Radio Paradise. Streaming at 320 kbps AAC it's a very good quality and it's an amazing eclectic mix of music. I've found an unreal amount of new and old bands via their internet station.

Back in the olden days it was top of the pops and radio one with really only Joh Peel being the man to go off the beaten track.

But if you're asking why you're not getting excited like a little kid then it's probably because you're no longer a little kid.

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Jota180 said:
+1 for Radio Paradise. Streaming at 320 kbps AAC it's a very good quality and it's an amazing eclectic mix of music. I've found an unreal amount of new and old bands via their internet station.

I'll give it a go

Jota180 said:
But if you're asking why you're not getting excited like a little kid then it's probably because you're no longer a little kid.

nah, not really. More like "I'm sure I used to find lots of music I wanted to buy but I don't seem to so much now"

NS496

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
There was I time a lost a bit of interest because I felt all the stuff I liked, I already listened to, and the newest commonly-available music rarely appealed...

two things reinvigorated my love of recorded music...

1) Restoring the Rega TT and buying records again - classic rock as it is meant to sound!

2) Streaming media and online music purchases. While the quality of the streaming is not on par with the best lossless (or vinyl imho), the convenience is undeniable. I discovered some great new artists and music the last couple of months this way

Since most of the music I listen to happens in the car or at desktop, the 'electronic' convience using my phone or MacBook as source is unbeatable for me. FM is almost unlistenable where I live due to adds and repeat 'popular' playlist... Most of my recent CD purchases recently are actually audiobooks!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I find being young helps.

Most modern music is cr@p but luckily for me I can regularly descover 'new' music from the 60's and 70's which is totally new and fresh to my ears. Imagine being young enough to be able to discover classic old bands like Pink Floyd or the Rolling Stones for the first time. It's wonderful!

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Freddy58 said:
CnoEvil said:
Freddy58 said:
Yoda would say "Choice is the advocate of discontent" *cray2*
No he wouldn't. He would say, "Advocate of the discontent, choice is". *smile*

Yeah well, I ain't no Jedi *biggrin* The Force is strong with you *good*
With a little training, you could become a "Fredi"....in fact Fredi 58.

*yahoo*

TRENDING THREADS