Is heavy metal considered demanding for a TT cartridge?

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I am about to buy a new turntable since my old Beogram TX2 is nearly 25 years old and so is the mounted cartridge (MMC4).

The TT will probably be the new Pro-ject 1Xpression Carbon, but then there's the cartridge.

I listen to a lot of different genres from pop to extreme metal (Steely Dan to Carcass). I assume extreme metal would be the most demanding genre for the cartridge with lots of dynamic sound in the grooves. My guess is therefore, that I need a cartridge with great tracking abilities. Lesser demanding music genres should only benefit from it; am I right?

I know a lot of people would probably think 'why does he even bother with that type of music'. I won't go into that discussion :)

I do listen to Aja, The Nightfly and what ever album relased that sound great on almost every system, but I have always found that heavy metal is really difficult for many systems, as the music is so intense and constant. However I have reached a level of great detail and space in even the most brutal productions with my Rega DAC, and would like my vinyls to sound just as great. Especially since most metal albums released on vinyl has nearly double the dynamic range compared to the sadly almost always overcompressed CD's.

I have read many reviews stating that the Ortofon 2M Bronze is a great tracker, and that it's not so overly analytical as many state, once burned in.

So, does any of you guys and gals have any experience with demanding genres on vinyl and how to deal with it when it comes to cartridge. My pricerange stops with the Bronze.

Thanks.

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
My Ortofon 2M Black has had no problems with AC/DC; Motorhead; Accept, Maiden; Rammstein; Accept; Helloween etc etc so I wouldn't see why your Ortofon would have any issues

No, IMO heavy metal is not the most demanding in terms of dynamic ability of the Pro-ject. AFAIK, classical and big band swing/Jazz is more so than heavier stuff.

However, the Xpression Carbon will be limited because by definition it is a budget TT. This means that the deepest bass doesn't extend as well as say the more expensive TTs, regardless of make.

I have a ClearAudio cart fitted to mine and in terms of clarity, detail and low end punch it's very good, but it is limited (again) by the quality of the TT.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts