is having wooden floor a complete no no for room with hi-fi in?

A

Anonymous

Nope, it suits some hifi's more than carpet... if not get a rug.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Have you played around with the F80's various sound settings? It's got different modes depending on the size of room/ location of system that can make a real difference to how it sounds.

Beyond that, add more furniture (bookshelves full of books are a particular help) or people!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Should be OK with a bit of care. Floor-standing speakers and speaker stands need to be resting on spikes and definitely not on any 'wobbly' bits of floor. I'll assume you mean suspended wooden floors (boards on joists) and assume they are completely sound.

Best to have your turntable (if you have one) wall mounted onto a load bearing masonry/brick wall if you don't have concrete floors.

The great thing about exposed suspended wooden floors is that you need never see speaker cable ever again (except the couple of feet behind the speaker.

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
to be honest ive been tinkering non stop since ive had it, absoulutely love the sound quality but i was getting colouring and other various little nasties when i plonked it on my cheap tv stand, then i plonked it on my atacama nexus 6 speaker stands and wow couldnt beleieve my ears, massive leap in sound quality, then placed it on my dads alphason tv stand which house a 43" pioneer and again further improvements in sound quality but the front room has wooden floors which i dont think suit the meridian. im thinking of buying the Custom Design Milan LCD3, good idea ?

A

Anonymous

Well like I said it's a nice stand but maybe overkill size wise if just the f80?

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
ive also got a 32 toshiba lcd and ps3 so it prob wont be waisted, the f80 really deserves to be on a proper equipment rack, looks like i'll be splashing out again. im starting to think what seperates kit i could have bought for the money. oh dear!

coolaboola

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
For anyone about to install a hard wood floor specify with your installer that he uses an acoustic underlay.They will only add a couple of quid per square yard to the cost and will be of benefit.It will cut down on noise pollution to other rooms and reduce that echo sound from your listening experience.It will also deaden the sound as you walk over it.

A

Anonymous

chebby:Should be OK with a bit of care. Floor-standing speakers and speaker stands need to be resting on spikes and definitely not on any 'wobbly' bits of floor. I'll assume you mean suspended wooden floors (boards on joists) and assume they are completely sound.

I don't think I agree with this comment. Spikes will likely transfer resonnances into the floor if it's of the construction you mention. I'd go for a damper between floor and speaker if resonance is an issue.

If it's "wood" over concrete and it's semi floating a decent acoustic underlay can work well as has been mentioned. Again it may help to use a damper between speaker and floor.

I think spikes are at their best when they are used where there is carpet over concrete.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts