Is Dolby Atmos failing or just slow starting?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I've heard the upfiring onkyo sky 410s at Sevenoaks in Sheffield, and they sounded just as good as the down firing speakers( don't know the make of these).

i agree with elisdj though re speaker placement to which I am limited in my front room, but at only £129 for the pair, it's worth a punt in my opinion..

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Sliced Bread said:
From what I've been reading it does sound impressive, though rain drops and leaves are high (ish) frequencies (i.e. reflect well when using the R50's). Did you hear any *fuller* effects from the ceiling speakers and were they convincing?
There were no ceiling speakers... :)

Sliced Bread

David@FrankHarvey said:
Sliced Bread said:
From what I've been reading it does sound impressive, though rain drops and leaves are high (ish) frequencies (i.e. reflect well when using the R50's). Did you hear any *fuller* effects from the ceiling speakers and were they convincing?
There were no ceiling speakers... :)

Good point...I mean't from the Atmos speakers :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I was standing at the back (I gave up what would be my space so that members of the public could hear it) so it was a little hard to tell that, but even at the back, you could hear the height difference in the soundfield.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
imho, it's just too much for most people to take on board. It might filter through eventually, but most people have enough problems setting up a standard surround sound system in their house, in fact, most people I know had one, ended up removing it, or just getting something cheap to watch movies. Only those with the cash lucky enough to have a cinema room or similar still have them set up.

Either that or they are single and have been for quite some time ;)

I suspose I'm lucky to have a dedicated room, but I agree with cheeseboy in that there are too many ducks to get in a row for most people.

In comparison with some on here, I have a modest home cinema system which I enjoy a lot, but I can accomodate more speakers - especially ceiling ones if I wanted. So my present system is fine, but to go to atmos, I would need to get an atmos receiver, fit ceiling speakers (not sure I would bother with upfiring ones) and more cables. That's say £1000 to watch only nine or so films at present.

Like many I think I'll wait till 1) I need a new receiver; and 2) There is a wide range of film titles available.

martimu

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Understandably so. In general, AV enthusiasts have been spending less money these last few years as it is, and the continuing "up in the air" situation with Atmos, DTS:X, and HDCP2.2 have only added to the frustration of customers and dealers (in my opinion). We could be selling Atmos speaker systems and receivers until the cows come home at the moment, but what happens in a year's time when pirchaser's of 4K TVs find out they can't watch 4K Netflix, or add DTS:X to their recently purchased AV receiver or processor? It is bad enough for the customer not knowing what is happening, but even worse that dealers can't recommend any "near futureproof" solutions. I will answer customer's queries about this sort of stuff the best I can, and completely honestly, but none of us can predict the future.

Exactly this.

Must be very difficult for dealers, especially as it is an exciting format that could be really tagged onto people going in to check out the 4k TV's

I'm in this very boat - I've ignored HDCP and stuck to a 1080p set - 55 inches so I can't see that it will make any difference to me. But I'm not buying the amp untill I hear what's happening with DTS X. The Atmos speakers are going in this week. But they may well be sat doing nothing for a few months if they work with DTS but I cannot upgrade any of the current amps on the market.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts