Question new TV with EArc or just the enhanced Arc cable

Slack941

Sep 27, 2022
Visit site
I've switched from a Yamaha Av system to a JBL 9.1 soundbar on an oldish TV with HDMI2.0 which has ARC so my question is do I need a new TV with EArc or just the enhanced Arc cable to get Dolby Atmos, so confusing?

abacus

The big advantage with Earc is lossless audio playback, however as no streaming or TV service uses this, it’s a moot point.
So long as you have a decent quality HDMI cable (Amazon Basics are all you need) then providing you just switch ARC on in both the TV and Sound bar you should be good to go. (Assuming both the TV and Sound Bar support the appropriate surround modes you want to use)
To be honest providing you have at least 1 input on the sound bar (As well as 1 output) you will be better off just getting something like an Amazon Firestick and plugging this into the sound bar.

Bill

Yongy

Aug 4, 2023
Visit site
Here is the problem I am having. Purchased new Sony XLR 77 TV with eARC and thought it would work with my old Denon X3400H AVR with ARC. It seems, I am told that the y are not compatible. Denon and Sony both say that they both should be eARC to eARC or ARC to ARC, eARC to eARC with all of the eARC (e is enhanced) enhancements of full DolbyTrueHD, etc. for the best quality sound of all the dolby stuff. and best picture you can get out of 4K or 8K, etc. If you HDMI from eARC TV to ARC AVR (as in my case) you do not get the e(enhancements)ARC (the best dolby, sound, pictures, etc) it is dumbed down a couple of levels. And has in my case it messes up lip sync, it will not give sound to TV from Cable, and other things, just a lot of set up problems. (did I just waste $3000 on a new tv because I did not know of the incapability of eARC TV to ARC AVR). H ow many people are making this mistake? A lot, look at Utube on this subject. I have had this New Sony eARC tv for 4 weeks and tried every setting I can find on the TV and my AVR. Nothing works. They told me to hook a Digital Optical cable from TV to AVR, it does not work. Even if it did work it still does not give me the optimum enhancements I was looking for with the new Sony XLR tv. Denon says the only way to achieve the full enhancement is with eARC tv to eARC avr. That would mean another (after research) $700.00 up to $xxx dollars by upgrading my Deonon to eARC level. I found a company that invented unit to interface between eARC TV and ARC AVR for about $500 so a lot of people already know about the eARC to ARC incapability problem and it seems not all people have the same setup issues depending on their equipment. So my question is does anyone know how to solve this problem without spending a lot of money to make eARC compatible with ARC? New TV buyers beware if you are trying to upgrade your sound system with a new tv. Help.

l

ARC and eARC are compatible, it's just you don't get additional benefits of eARC like wider audio codec support and lip sync. Have you checked lip sync setting on the Denon? This feature can be found in the unit's menu (GUI) under Audio -> Audio Delay -> Auto Lip Sync and is enabled by default usually. Try adjusting it manually.

Yongy

Aug 4, 2023
Visit site
Yes, they are compatible up to ARC and you can run AVR Arc to TV Earc with a standard HDMI high def cable (AVR Arc out to Sony XLR Earc) but you are losing the reason to have Earc in the first place. Again, the E in Arc stands for enhancement. The reason I bought a Sony Earc TV was to get those enhancements for my dolby atmos and surround sound system. Not only did I lose the enhancements in a Earc to Arc hook up but I have a lip sync problem (lost the last part lipsync adjust (in milliseconds manually, and also will not autoadjust) and cannot get TV audio to set up no matter (between my Denon X3400H and Sony) what I do including setting up an optical cable from TV to AVR. I have tried every setting there is and they will not work. I admit the video is improved but without E part of Earc it falls short of the desired Earc upgrades. Go to Utube and see how many people are having set up problems between Arc and Earc.
My warning is do not go out and buy a Earc Tv unless you have a Earc AVR so that they are completely compatible and you get the big E out of Earc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts