is bi-amping an upgrade?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

xtsili

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Bodfish:
Thanks, I will.

I don't think anyone has a problem with opinion, it's just the use of words like 'passive biamping cannot and does not give any benefit whatsoever' being presented a fact rather than an opinion or point of view. And what is 'Naim black magic' BTW?

So, FWIW, in my opinion and experience etc, bi-amping does make a difference. Lots of variables to take into account so go listen for yourself and make up your own mind yada yada yada.

Now, where did that Russ Andrews £16,000 speaker cable thread go?

Well the mere fact that more power will become available to control the speaker drivers as result of bi-amping , isn't it by its own beneficial?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
xtsili:Not even with this?
http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/product/1307

I haven't used that device myself, but can't help but think it will bring some compromises in quality, more than offsetting the benefits of using a better power amp.

I think you may be clutching at straws here: a much better solution would be to consider a higher-quality integrated amplifier, or a dedicated pre/power combination.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
xtsili:Well the mere fact that more power will become available to control the speaker drivers as result of bi-amping , isn't it by its own beneficial?

No: were you to biamp using another amplifier of the same power and gain as your original amplifier, the speaker drivers will still 'see' the same power.

If you want to deliver more power to your speakers without changing your current amplifier, you need to add on a pair of these if you can find a pair secondhand. A simple amplifier upgrade may be more cost-effective, however.

xtsili

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
xtsili:Well the mere fact that more power will become available to control the speaker drivers as result of bi-amping , isn't it by its own beneficial?

No: were you to biamp using another amplifier of the same power and gain as your original amplifier, the speaker drivers will still 'see' the same power.

To be honest I don't get it but I am sure it is the way you are putting it Andrew.

xtsili

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

If you want to deliver more power to your speakers without changing your current amplifier, you need to add on a pair of these if you can find a pair secondhand. A simple amplifier upgrade may be more cost-effective, however.

Yes Andrew I know about the MF superchargers but are prohibitively expensive - even 2nd hand

And I understand myself that the way to go is to simply buy a new better amp but I want to make the most out of the current setup, that's why the hassle

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
xtsili:And I understand myself that the way to go is to simply buy a new better amp but I want to make the most out of the current setup, that's why the hassle

Trouble is you already have made the most out of that amp, you can't take it any further, the amp is the limiting factor in your setup.

xtsili

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
the_lhc:xtsili:And I understand myself that the way to go is to simply buy a new better amp but I want to make the most out of the current setup, that's why the hassleTrouble is you already have made the most out of that amp, you can't take it any further, the amp is the limiting factor in your setup.

Necessity is the mother of invention :)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:
Trouble is you already have made the most out of that amp, you can't take it any further, the amp is the limiting factor in your setup.

Totally agree.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
xtsili:...Necessity is the mother of invention :)

SquarePegRoundHole.jpg

emotion-18.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
xtsili:
the_lhc:xtsili:And I understand myself that the way to go is to simply buy a new better amp but I want to make the most out of the current setup, that's why the hassleTrouble is you already have made the most out of that amp, you can't take it any further, the amp is the limiting factor in your setup.

Ah but try to knock a wall down with your head and all you end up with is a headache.

And a wall.

xtsili

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
the_lhc:xtsili:

Ah but try to knock a wall down with your head and all you end up with is a headache. And a wall.

That's why I posted here, to avoid what you are saying

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
This is very interesting to me as I was considering going for a Roksan M2 integrated and a M2 power (when it`s released) to upgrade my current bi-amp set up (see sig). Do you think then that say 2.5 K would better off spent on a next level up integrated/pre power combo?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
basshound:This is very interesting to me as I was considering going for a Roksan M2 integrated and a M2 power (when it`s released) to upgrade my current bi-amp set up (see sig). Do you think then that say 2.5 K would better off spent on a next level up integrated/pre power combo?

Few may say depending on your speakers but imo, £2.5K would better in an intergrated form (or even Pre-power but normally at higher price)

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
flakmonkey:

OK Ill put it in my own words:

Basically for a linear system, which applies to a high degree to amps and cables at audible frequencies, then bi-wiring and passive bi-amping cannot make a difference (superposition principle). If you want to get into the physics feel free :)

Passive biamping and biwiring fall into the same category.

Active biamping, using external crossovers can and will give some benefit but there may be more cost effective ways of getting a bigger leap in performance than doing this.

This is science, not hifi myth

There is a site online that has measured proof that bi-wiring does make a difference. This is fact. However, whether or not that difference can be heard or is indeed any 'better' is entirely subjective.

Personally speaking, ive found my system sounds better single wired (and ive tried both bi-wiring and bi-amping)

TRENDING THREADS