Is anyone actually buying 4K Blu rays like this one?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

Here:

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/angels-and-demons-mastered-in-4k-edition-includes-ultraviolet-copy/10814510.html

Because they will play on Blu-Ray players right? And should be better than the Blu-Ray version, is that right?

:cheers:

D

Deleted member 2457

I know it's still only 1080p but it should still be a better version, right? :)

Paul.

You need xvYCC enabled on the player and tv to get the expanded gamut, I believe. They are also better transfers, for instance the mastered for 4k ghost busters is higher bitrate than the standard bluray, so should look better even without the colour gamut thing.

D

Deleted member 2457

Paul. said:
You need xvYCC enabled on the player and tv to get the expanded gamut, I believe.

:cheers: What about what this is saying:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Ghostbusters-Blu-ray/69723/#Review

It seems to be saying the 1080p version will be better, right?

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
gel said:

I had replied to you elsewhere about this last week or so.

And see also http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Angels-and-Demons-Blu-ray/69728/#Review .

D

Deleted member 2457

Paul. said:
Yep, but only because they did a rubbish job first time around!

Ah right, I'm reading it as though it's better than even good Blu-Ray transfers?

D

Deleted member 2457

7760 said:
gel said:

I had replied to you elsewhere about this last week or so.

And see also http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Angels-and-Demons-Blu-ray/69728/#Review .

Did you? Oops! :oops:

I am still reading that it's better, am I reading it wrong?

D

Deleted member 2457

Has the Da Vinci Code been released in 4K?

D

Deleted member 2457

I found these ones:

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/offers/4k-ultra-hd.list

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Don't be messing with your BD settings Gel or else you'll not get the benefits from your calibrated set. Changing the xy whatever it is will not show your blacks properly as this is what Vincent found was set in correctly from my previous calibration...

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
Don't be messing with your BD settings Gel or else you'll not get the benefits from your calibrated set. Changing the xy whatever it is will not show your blacks properly as this is what Vincent found was set in correctly from my previous calibration...

Ah right, I'm getting what you guys are saying now. Nope, they are not for me. :cheers:

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
gel said:
Did you? Oops! I am still reading that it's better, am I reading it wrong?

No, you're not. Yes, it's "better", partly due to higher bitrates involved (by omitting the extras), although the difference may be minimal (read the blu-ray.com reviews for details). However, it's also a marketing issue (by Sony), since not all discs which don't sport "mastered in 4K" are of less good quality, and not all discs that were mastered in 4K (or 8K) are given such huge labelling. There are many classics that were newly scanned at high resolution from the original negatives, and I bet that current films are (mostly?) being "mastered" just the same as those supposedly so special Sony ones.

Ultimately it's down to personal preference as to whether to try out those "4K" versions; if you don't care about extras and/or like that particular film a lot, why not.

D

Deleted member 2457

7760 said:
gel said:
Did you? Oops! I am still reading that it's better, am I reading it wrong?

No, you're not. Yes, it's "better", partly due to higher bitrates involved (by omitting the extras), although the difference may be minimal (read the blu-ray.com reviews for details). However, it's also a marketing issue (by Sony), since not all discs which don't sport "mastered in 4K" are of less good quality, and not all discs that were mastered in 4K (or 8K) are given such huge labelling. There are many classics that were newly scanned at high resolution from the original negatives, and I bet that current films are (mostly?) being "mastered" just the same as those supposedly so special Sony ones.

Ultimately it's down to personal preference as to whether to try out those "4K" versions; if you don't care about extras and/or like that particular film a lot, why not.

:cheers: That's excellent.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Not sure, I have Robocop 4K mastered and it looks as awful as the ordinary bluray, if not worse!

Mind you this is a ripped remuxed copy so I need the proper disc to spin and project using my 4k sony projector. I hear the real difference is when TV's and Projectors upscale it to 4k.

I will report back on that in around 4 weeks when my room is ready :)

D

Deleted member 2457

duaplex said:
Not sure, I have Robocop 4K mastered and it looks as awful as the ordinary bluray, if not worse!

Mind you this is a ripped remuxed copy so I need the proper disc to spin and project using my 4k sony projector. I hear the real difference is when TV's and Projectors upscale it to 4k.

I will report back on that in around 4 weeks when my room is ready :)

Nice one! :cheers:

T

theflyingwasp

Paul. said:
You need xvYCC enabled on the player and tv to get the expanded gamut, I believe. They are also better transfers, for instance the mastered for 4k ghost busters is higher bitrate than the standard bluray, so should look better even without the colour gamut thing.

+1

i have glory,angels & demons and Godzilla on the remastered 4k blu rays and they look stunning .not worth the double dip if you already own them on blu ray tho.

D

Deleted member 2457

theflyingwasp said:
Paul. said:

+1

i have glory,angels & demons and Godzilla on the remastered 4k blu rays and they look stunning .not worth the double dip if you already own them on blu ray tho.

:cheers:

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
As long as the compression/BD encoding has been done properly the features mastered in 4K will look better than any feature mastered in 2K for the very reason there is more information in the first place but of course that means more compression. 2K films look worse on DVD not just because the resolution is lower but because the video is more compressed. as the same HD content is used for Both DVD and BD just encoded differently.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts