Is all HD DVD multi region

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Basically the subject line covers it. I've read somewhere, can't remember where, that HD DVD is multi region, unlike Blu Ray which I presume is regioned like standard DVD. Is this true. A big plus for HD DVD if true. thanks

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
As far as our tests show, all current HD DVD players can play HD discs from anywhere in the world (though seem resolutely region-coded for DVD).

However, the fact that:

a) the studios are still producing different regional versions of HD DVD discs (which can vary in quality, BTW),

and

b) the specification allows for region-coding to be introduced at a later date (ie future players may be coded)

means it's far from being a set feature for the format.

A

Anonymous

As Clare quite correctly states, HD-DVD is not currently region coded but can be in the future if they wish. The players ARE coded for region 1 - 6 and , A, B and C for DVD and HD-DVD respectively but the HD-DVD discs are not.

With the current problems associated with Blu-Ray, I think this lack of regional coding, and the finalisation of the format is the biggest guns that the format has in the war with Blu-Ray and could be decisive.

The different regional versions of the same discs mentioned by Clare refers to content and I believe is pretty unavoidable due to nationally differing censorship regulations but there is no coding currently preventing an unrated US "A" disc playing on a UK "B" player.

Gerry.

A

Anonymous

I beg to differ on the subject of Blu-ray players and have purchased a Sony bd 300 which only plays region B and have just purchased (accidently) a region A product (Sony co.) which won't play. All my 4 other discs are all regions rather than region free (now I know what to look for)!

Of course there was no info on regional coding in their adverts and have only found this info on this forum! Seems we have been conned as I thought Blu-ray was region free but copy protected( which I am happy with).

Seems we are in the same boat as regular dvds and have to pay considerable more than our US counterparts.

This does mean if you are purchasing via the internet, you have to watch out for this and it isn't obvious as the sellers do not make it clear, maybe they don't know.

The ads for Blu-ray players do not state whether they are multi or any regon for that matter, which doesn't help to alert you!

regards

A

Anonymous

Is the PS3 multi-region or easily capable of being turned into a multiregion BD player?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts