Is a wired connection (ethernet/homeplugs) more reliable than wireless - dropouts

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
I own a squeezebox receiver and it's all wireless at the moment. I get dropouts on mysqueezebox.com sometimes and I don't like it. Would a wired connection solve this? Where is the best place to buy an extended ethernet cable?

What about homeplugs - are they better than wireless?

scene

In descending order of reliability and performance I'd say Ethernet cable - CAT5e or CAT6 for really long runs - home plugs and then wireless. If your devices are close enough together I'd go for Ethernet cables as they're pretty much 100% reliable and cheap - £8.50 from that cable for 15m. (not sure about squeezebox, bit you migt need to get a crossover cable if you are directly connecting by cable)
Homeplugs are better than wireless, but I've read reports that they can cause some interference with amps.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
You will get a faster, more reliable network using hardwired rather than wireless. Whether it would solve your problem, I can't say, but it should help. You can get 10m lengths of ethernet from Maplin's.

Homeplugs should be better (faster, more reliable) than wireless but not as good as ethernet. I've used homeplugs (Netgear) in the past to connect my PS3 to my network for online gaming and found them to be OK.

cwalduck

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I use zyxel home plugs with my setup, totally fixed re-buffering on squeeze box and I now stream 1080p HD mkv files over it. Single port zyxel connected to the router and 4 port connected to the bluray player, squeezebox, Humax and Amp. Stream music all lossless to the SB and listen to them in the second room while the kids watch movies streamed to the bluray all without a glitch, also improved 200% the response of the SB.

I would highly recommend them.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your comments. I am going to get an ethernet cable and have a wired connection. It's not convenient to do so but saying that it's not too much of an issue and hopefully it will cure my problem - if not then it's only cost me a few quid.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
mattjax05:Thank you everyone for your comments. I am going to get an ethernet cable and have a wired connection. It's not convenient to do so but saying that it's not too much of an issue and hopefully it will cure my problem - if not then it's only cost me a few quid.

I went from wireless to cat 6 into homeplugs. Works a treat.

A

Anonymous

I had problems with drop outs from my wireless squeezebox (particularly noticeable and irritating when sync'd with a second squeezebox) - I changed to home plugs for the majority of the connections (I have 3 squeezeboxes) and this solved the drop out problem. The main problem I had was when the microwave was on in the kitchen I would lose signal to the squeezebox in the dining room backing on to the kitchen. The homeplugs solved the problem completely.

I use Devolo AV homeplugs.

Andy.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:mattjax05:Thank you everyone for your comments. I am going to get an ethernet cable and have a wired connection. It's not convenient to do so but saying that it's not too much of an issue and hopefully it will cure my problem - if not then it's only cost me a few quid. I went from wireless to cat 6 into homeplugs. Works a treat.

Cat6
emotion-40.gif

Do you currently benefit from this enhanced cabling over cat5, or are you future proofing? My current wired network is rated 100mbps, I have a BT HomeHub - I don't think my network equipment will be upgraded anytime soon so should I just opt for cat5? Or are there other advantages based on my current setup?

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
mattjax05:

Gerrardasnails:mattjax05:Thank you everyone for your comments. I am going to get an ethernet cable and have a wired connection. It's not convenient to do so but saying that it's not too much of an issue and hopefully it will cure my problem - if not then it's only cost me a few quid. I went from wireless to cat 6 into homeplugs. Works a treat.

Cat6
emotion-40.gif

Do you currently benefit from this enhanced cabling over cat5, or are you future proofing? My current wired network is rated 100mbps, I have a BT HomeHub - I don't think my network equipment will be upgraded anytime soon so should I just opt for cat5? Or are there other advantages based on my current setup?

Also, I understand the Squeezebox Receiver is 100mbps too.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
mattjax05:

Cat6
emotion-40.gif

I'm no expert on this but I use the Linksys By Cisco PLK300-UK Powerline and they offer 200MBps, my Popcorn Hour A-200 offers up to gigabit ethernet, I needed longer lengths of CAT cables and the difference between CAT5 and CAT6 was about a £1.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Hardwired with ethernet is definitely the best option

Homeplugs are the next best bet, but they definitely add RFI to the mains (Which will in turn affect hifi etc). If you go for homeplugs then go for 200Mb or above. 85Mb can struggle with high bandwidth HD content

CAT5 ethernet is fine, but you can buy Cat 6 just as cheap on ebay etc

A

Anonymous

I had probelms with Squeezeboxes and wireless around house.

Wewere rewired top to bottom and I am lucky enough to have a vertical cat 6 back bone over 4 flooors of our house with ethernet plugs in most rooms. But I also use powerline Devolo 200s in many rooms because of proximity to the ethernet plugs. There is no discernable difference in performance or quality of streamed 1s and 0s between cat 6 and the powerline plugs (which all star link into one plug adjacent to the router and cable entry to house).

In one room I have two Squeezeboxes in two different areas, one cat linked to router and 1 via powerline, so it is easy to do back to back listening. I really can't tell difference in the copper route that my 1s and 0s take to my DACs and streamers...

Ergo powerline good enough in my book. Try them.

harveymt

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
I have a few questions about these and thought I might jump on here rather than start a new thread.

I have Sky broadband with the Sagem router. Router is up on the 2nd floor leaving wireless patchy on the ground floor. Sky appear to have problems with you using other routers than those supplied so I need an alternative.

If I get the home plugs does it matter if they are on the same circuit or will they work if one is one circuit and one in another?

I had thought to get something like <a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/HomePlug-Ethernet-Adapter-embedded-Wireless/dp/B000JP7A86/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1284328303&sr=8-2">this</a> to plug in downstairs and help solve the patchy wireless for my netbook. I would also then plug my airport express directly into this for a wired connection.

Upstairs by the router I'd need <a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solwise-Homeplug-Ethernet-Adapter-Single/dp/B000I7J85I/ref=pd_bxgy_ce_text_b">this</a> to hook up to the router.

As and when I'd need more wired connections, say Sky+HD box, I could buy extra plugs.

What's Solwise like as a brand? Anyone use them? They're cheaper than some of the more well known brands. Any other recommendations as to what to get?

Cheers.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I bought a 10m ethernet cable from amazon, last week for the princely sum of 99p. I'll see if they're still selling them.....

Nope, they've gone. you'll have to shell out a massive £1.93, instead!

CHEAPY CHEAP CABLE

EDIT: In the few minutes since I posted the link, they've dropped the price to 95p.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts