iPod Dock : Zep vs Zep mini vs MM-1 vs Fatman iDock

uniquexme

Aug 25, 2008
Visit site
just got myself an iPod Classic 160GB after i broke the screen on my iPhone 2G... I have gone tru all the docks review here... but do u think docks if compared to speakers are really inferior? i got myself a JBL on stage abt a yr ago for my iphone, but sound is juz ok... and also a JBL Encounter for my laptop. so now i want a better sound quality since i will be starting to play with lossless, pardon me for that coz i just come to realize this... and i m bored with the sound from these 2 JBLs...

heaps of good reviews on Zep and zep mini... but would anyone feel that MM-1 be better off since its detachable speakers.. so i really need some advise on it.. Since there wouldn't be any remote, i think if i go for this setup i would have to get the apple universal dock..

And i from the looks of that Vita R2i, it seems pretty cool.

Or did anyone actually tried the Fatman iDock Valve + Tannoy F1 Custom (the said recommended)?

omg, which one should i choose. my main concern is simple, i want good sound quality out of lossless from my ipod.

A

Anonymous

Like you, I wasn't sure what Ipod dock to get, I was playing music through my Ipod Touch, it is 64gb so I was importing music with lossless format. In the end I auditioned many docks but settled on the B&W Zeppelin. What a decision!! It is the best looking and sounding dock I have ever heard. I even tested BOSE docks that were over £1000...the Zeppelin won hands down. It can be picked up for roughly £390 now, you won't be disapointed.

A

Anonymous

I compared zep agains the zep mini and thought for the extra money i was getting a lot better sound and quality.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
quite a lot to consider but would say straight away forget the mini - its good for what it does but not in same league as the others - i have owned the zep, and still have the fatman carbon and vita r4 - so quick review for you

zep is prob most stylish and works great if you want a unit in a box - i personally always found it a little bass dominent but could def fill a room with sound - lacks tone controls which is a shame as i think lossless files could sometimes do with a little treble lift to add a little excitement - build is great (has a bass control setting but no treble)

fatman carbon isn't quite as pretty but has its advantages - seperate sepakers bigger soundstage, i use monitor audio br1s with mine i like the valve sound and especially the bass and treble tone controls also has 2 rca inputs for other kit cdp ect

i bought the vita r4 to go on my bedside cabinet as wanted a simple one box solution - cdp, dab and ipod dock also had both an rca input for extra kit and an output which i really wanted as have a headphone amp connected to it - i love the vita built like a tank and great sound - the sub has a sep volume control to allow tweeking and a number of settings although the 3d sound button leaves a really thin sound so don't use it - i think its worth the extra £150 over the Zep for the cdp and dab tuner - also makes the biggest but best sounding alarm clock i have ever had!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have owned the Fatman iTube and MA BR1s and had a long demo of the B&W MM1s a couple of weeks ago.

For listening from a short distance at a desk with a PC or iPod then I would go with MM-1s (and will).

For longer distance listening go with the Fatman.

Not heard the Zeppelin.

uniquexme

Aug 25, 2008
Visit site
so it seems different ppl have different preference.. i think the best thing is to audit for myself and decide but juz limit to the few that are reviewed. keke.. thanks guys..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts