iPod app recommendations/favourites?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Being the very lucky recipient of an iPod Touch for my birthday (thanks to him-indoors), i'm now on the lookout for some interesting apps to try out, as well as loading it with my iTunes library....

Anyone got any favourites so far? (Or ones to avoid!)

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
My current free favourites are

Radio Paradise for wifi streaming into my system via a dock - decent quality sound too.

BBC Iplayer - not an application download as such but does a superb streaming job on tv and radio

Ifooty - football updates

John Duncan

Yeah the iPlayer and youtube implementations are brilliant - had my wife going "ooo and I thought it was just an iPod!" and watching eastenders on Christmas Day while her parents insisted on watching The Royle Familyzzzzzzzz.

Ditto Remote, obviously, but I also paid £1.19 for FrontRemote, which acts as a replacement for the little white Apple remote when you inevitably lose yours down the back of the printer. The Telegraph app is alright as well (I prefer my newspapers to disagree with me).

A

Anonymous

Shazam - for all those tunes you just can't place

Classics - ebook versions of all the old...Classics - regularly updated for free with new novels

TV Plus - for remote recording activation for your Sky+ box (presumably works with Sky+ HD too)

kjelly

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi Clare ....

It has to be shazam.

I have worked in IT for many years, and I have to say its probbaly the most impressive piece of publicaly available software I have ever come across.

It just shouldn't work because there are too many variables .. but somehow it does.
enjoy
Kev

progwardy

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Agree with 'Remote'. Can't understand the point of Airport Express without it!

Last.fm

Wolfgang's Vault for streaming concerts

Have tried 'orb' with mixed results.........

As an ex design and technology teacher was intrigued by the spirit level. Then decided to get a life.

Sliced Bread

Solitaire is a good one for the train journey (probably my most used non music/film app).
Labyrinth is also quite good fun.

EDIT:
Google Earth is quite a novelty! You change the angle you view the globe my tilting the ipod back and forth.

ukgthor

Sep 19, 2007
Visit site
I agree with the other posters in regard to Remote and Shazam, however some others to consider would be:

- TapDefense (highly addictive)

- Lightsabre (for a bit of star wars nostalgia)

- Last fm (good way to find out new music)

- Flixster (for movie goers)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Oh and get new headphones....

That, unsurprisingly, I already have covered
emotion-2.gif

Thanks for the all the suggestions so far. Keep 'em comin!

Che1

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately, despite the 10000000000 apps or however many there are, i've found only a handful of really useful ones, so I'm mainly just repeating some recommendations already made here:

Apple remote app

Inquisitor web search

Google Earth

ITN news

Wunder Radio - an astonishing number of radio stations to stream to your ipod

Wikipanion

Last.fm

In terms of games

TapDefense is free and insanely addictive

Flight Control is also ridiculously addictive and 59p last time i checked

Cro-mag rally ...excellent for a quick race

There's free solitaire, sudoku, labyrinth etc all out there too.

ukgthor

Sep 19, 2007
Visit site
A couple of posters have mentioned the BBC iPlayer application, however I can't find it listed anywhere in the Apple App Store.

Does this app actually exist ?

Che1

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
It's not an app as such. Just go to iplayer in the safari browser and you will get the ipod specific site. Click the + in the bottom middle and it will let you add an iplayer icon to your applications if you like.

bemahler1

Jan 30, 2009
Visit site
Just a quick one Clare. With some of the Apps you download you might have to turn the itouch of, that is keeping the top button pressed down until it restarts again, I am sure someone on the site will explane it better than I can, if you don't do this, the particular app you downloaded will crash and not work, it seems to be a very common thing to do according to one of the experts at the Southampton Apple shop, anyway it is a great piece of kit, I have had mine since christmas and have not stopped playing with it.

A

Anonymous

Stickies (post-it notes you can save as screensavers for things you really must remember!)

Things (good to-do list)

iThoughts (if you're in to mindmapping)

WiFinder (quite useful as a quick way of finding wireless networks around wherever you are)

iXpenselt (for budgetting and expenses - though still trying to work it out - only just got it!)

CroMag rally (if you like a fun racing game)

Avoid:

Night Stand (sounds good, but then you realise you have absolutely no use for it!)

A

Anonymous

Just wish apple would enable down conversion from lossless to 128 when I load up, rather than having to have a low bit library/playlists in iTunes.

Also;- TubeDeluxe

App Store(WiFi obviously!)

Pocket God

Flight Control

HoldEm

WeatherBug(WiFi)

manicm

JohnDuncan:Fill it with 128 - sounds the same.........
emotion-5.gif

Don't want to drudge this up again but on my iPod nano 3g 256k sounded markedly better than 128 through my Senn CX300s. To me 128k sounded atrocious - but horses for courses I suppose.

But then again I think the nano's had inferior DACs to the old Minis - I had one and it sounded better than the nano 3g.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Don't think anyone's mentioned Pocketpedia yet which I use to keep a track of Blu-Rays I own and who I've lent them to (after losing goodness knows how many DVDs in the past, I'm determined not to let the same happen to BDs!). Air Sharing / File Magnet are apps which let you transfer files on to your iPod - made good use of this with screen prints of maps to use when you're out and about with no wireless signal and PDFs which I can read on the train.

iFooty keeps you up to date on your team, Mocha VNC Lite and Remote Desktop Lite can allow you remote control of your PC / Mac (bit of a gimmick but could be useful) and Simplify Media lets you stream iTunes to your iPod - could be useful if you have an iPod Dock hooked into something which isn't connected up to Airport Express (I use it to stream music to my Pure Evoke Flow in the bathroom).

Of course there's always Bikini Blast...
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

Hello Clare, what Earphones are you planning to use with your new ipod?

TRENDING THREADS