iPlayer on PS3 much improved with new firmware.

fido87456

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
Downloaded the new PS3 firmware last night, and having read a post on the BBC iplayer forum about the iPlayer development team tweaking it to be better quality on the PS3. I was looking forward to testing the iPlayer to see if it had improved.

Previously when watching in full screen mode, there was a certain jerkiness to the picture, it looked like it was missing out every other frame. This could be avoided to a certain extent by zooming in using R2 instead of using the full screen button, but was still an irritation.

After watching a couple of shows last night I can report that this problem has now been fixed, and the streaming picture quality is now very satisfactory in full screen mode.
emotion-2.gif

All we need now is a download option and it will be perfect!

A

Anonymous

Got the new firmware, the pictures are poor in comparison to upscaled dvd, though watchable if pushed.

What does need a shot in the arm is the web browser, it's a pile of sh*t, can't google or firefox supply a suitable version for sonys next firmware.?

Ps, is anyone else always underwhelmed by these bi monthly firmware upgrades ? Surely better applications can be made available to such a powerful machine.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
bendip:Ps, is anyone else always underwhelmed by these bi monthly firmware upgrades ? Surely better applications can be made available to such a powerful machine.

What were you expecting?

(NB - this isn't meant in an offensive way, just genuinely asking what else you're looking for)

A

Anonymous

I'd like Sony to iron out glitches and some poor design features initially, such as

hdmi / optical out to pass audio simultaneously, fix the longstanding bluetooth issues, charge the controllers in standby, output bitstream and lpcm via hdmi, fix the videzone sign in / user agreement fault, offer a credible browser.

I'm not as technical as some members so perhaps some of my wish list wouldn't be possible by firmware upgrades alone, i accept that.

I agree Spotify and an internet radio app would be would be great and personally the bluray playback which was so lauded is now looking a little jaded compared to some of the newer bluray decks, a shot in the arm for that would be welcome too

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
bendip:hdmi / optical out to pass audio simultaneously

This one is now possible (my friend does it now to send audio to both his TV and his surround system). Agree with you on the charging controllers in standby feature as well.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the heads up regards the optical / hdmi audio now functioning together

Wightknight

Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
I was disappointed with the way iPlayer works on the PS3.

I think it is great that it appears on the XMB and that there is a clear commitment to make it work on the PS3, but I think it was let down in two major ways.

Firstly, I hate the Bigscreen Interface. This was clearly designed for people using Wiis and SD TVs. It looks horrible on a large screen in HD.

Secondly, where is the HD content? I can stream the BBC HD content beautifully on my PC, so I expect the same quality on my HD console connected to an HD TV. I agree with you that the picture quality is better than it was, but it still isn't great and could be so much better.

I think they have made a step in the right direction, but there is still much more to be done.

A

Anonymous

I know I'm being stupid but how do you get iplayer on the PS3 main menu?

A

Anonymous

Aah...but I have no TV icon! I did just realise that my personal details weren't up to date so wonder if that's the reason?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Have just read a couple of posts on another site where people didn't get the new icon and they did things like put in a game disc and then eject it and it then appeared, or download the Vidzone app etc.

I'm guessing it just hasn't updated your XMB for some reason and it just needs a little kick to do this, so try a few things out like the above.

A

Anonymous

Thanks professorhat but unfortunately still no icon. Never mind, think I'll sell it and put the money towards that oppo...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts