IPL Acoustic M1tl Speaker Kit, PMC 24 killer?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
That's why I asked.

Perhaps my hearing is less sensitive than the average person. As I don't find the RS6s bright with the Leema, this may hold a smidgeon of truth.

Personally, I don't think this is down to hearing, but taste ie. An understanding of how you like your system to sound (in your room) and how to achieve it...based on the brands that you have heard.

FWIW. I have heard Kef Refs sound so hard/harsh that I couldn't sit in the room for more than a few minutes; I also found Linn amps cold and unemotional sounding (including Klimax), until I heard them paired with Blade/R Series....so generalizations are often wrong.

michael hoy

In case anyone is interested theses guys have some kits as well.

There used to be a program called John's workshop and he built a pair from this company, if you can find a video of it any where it might help you build your own.

boggit said:
As i said PP you are more than welcome to come over and have a listen, just turned them off to repair a couple of bubbles in the side only 7-8 more to do!! As a side at the same time of building my speakers i decided to re do my Aquascape tank as it had become overgrown and neglected since 2010! I also decided to experiment with Shrimps and took over my daughters mermaid tank to experiment before getting a proper ADA all glass tank. So tryed Crystal and Cherry Shrimp. It a technical nightmare of balance between growing plants and keeping fish healthy and is pretty complicated. Some the proffesional guys do look like landscapes. Here are some pics, well in a minute after switching to chrome.

I would love to take up your offer but as you live in the west country and I in the SE... unless I make a surprise visit to family in Bristol (very unlikely)...

There's no doubt you love the sound and equally no question of your talent for constructing kits.

As for your aquascape this might be worth a try... or perhaps not. *preved*

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
That's why I asked.

Perhaps my hearing is less sensitive than the average person. As I don't find the RS6s bright with the Leema, this may hold a smidgeon of truth.

Personally, I don't think this is down to hearing, but taste ie. An understanding of how you like your system to sound (in your room) and how to achieve it...based on the brands that you have heard.

FWIW. I have heard Kef Refs sound so hard/harsh that I couldn't sit in the room for more than a few minutes; I also found Linn amps cold and unemotional sounding (including Klimax), until I heard them paired with Blade/R Series....so generalizations are often wrong.

It's true, Cno, we all gravitate to a certain sound/presentation, which is a general opinion. What is not a general opinion is that all brands come with their own distinct strengths and weakenessess.

For my taste, as you well know, I don't particularly like warm or harsh presentations. The ideal sound has to fall between the two, with equal dollops of emotive sound, as well as something that breaths life into music without straying into the two extremes I've mentioned.

Those old RS6s I've had rigged up and they sounded painfully hard. The room acoustics, at this particular dealers, resembled a barn. But in the right room with a good amp they sound stunning. This is where the PMCs get it exactly right (TB2is): They take all the good bits of the RS6 and add to that, while eliminating most of the nasties from the RS6s.

Wish hi-fi had less grey areas, but if it was that 'black and white' none of us would probably like it as much (and we wouldn't be talking about it now). *crazy*

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I kind of wanted to draw a line on the thread, but I'm sat hear listening to £400 speakers that amaze me the tonal texture is amazing, soundstage that frightens me, so precise wide and accurate with layers of detail yet all so unfatiquing. Brilliant. The end

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
boggit said:
I kind of wanted to draw a line on the thread, but I'm sat hear listening to £400 speakers that amaze me the tonal texture is amazing, soundstage that frightens me, so precise wide and accurate with layers of detail yet all so unfatiquing. Brilliant. The end

That's Class A for you!! *diablo*

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Yep there's no flies on you!! Now just the Majik in black, silver one on eBay for £850 start price 2 years old. Just hope it doesn't ruin everything!

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
ifor said:
We are building with the Mark Audio Alpair 7.3 drivers as in the closer of the two speakers in the picture. I too like those speaker spike outriggers so have had some made of polished aluminium by classic components.co.uk. Stupidly I ordered a pair in stead of a pair of pairs!

Hi ifor how's the build going? I'm after some of those outriggers you bought can I check the web address classic components seem to be an electronics supplier for industry?

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
boggit said:
ifor said:
We are building with the Mark Audio Alpair 7.3 drivers as in the closer of the two speakers in the picture. I too like those speaker spike outriggers so have had some made of polished aluminium by classic components.co.uk. Stupidly I ordered a pair in stead of a pair of pairs!

Hi ifor how's the build going? I'm after some of those outriggers you bought can I check the web address classic components seem to be an electronics supplier for industry?

They are running in; apparently they need a couple of hundred hours. The drivers are not soldered yet (twisted wire connections) and we haven't glued the tops on so that we can play with the wadding a bit.

you can see them here: audio-forum.gspaudio.co.uk/proprius-high-efficiency-single-driver-speaker_topic2221_page11.html

Malcolm dot Duffield at classic dash components dot co dot uk

World Wide Web dot classic dash components dot com

if I knew how to contact you outside this forum I would send you the outrigger plan that I have. You might want to spec some different measurements for your speakers.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Ifor if you have no success with posting links and using internet explorer it does not work, works perfectly in Chrome. Looking now Cheers. So you had them made bespoke? Expensive? Ok looked do you have Rega speakers and a heron in your fireplace!!??

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I don't use IE. I posted from the iPad which is a nightmare with this forum! Yes, the Outriggers were bespoke and not cheap. The speakers are Spendor A5s not Regas and the heron is a goose.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Ye apart from that!! I did read they were Spendor's I did think it strange you would have Rega speakers! Looking good have you decided on finish yet?

The reason I asked is I'm going to build IPL kits as a little sideline or more accurately I have a cabinet maker doing them. I'm Building a website as we speak. I wanted an option to add some polished metal feet. Sorry about the goose would you like me to add some pictures for you?

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I've just added a picture of the outriggers here http://audio-forum.gspaudio.co.uk/proprius-and-high-efficiency-single-driver-speaker_topic2221_page16.html.

My son wants to decoupage them. I'm not sure what with, but it's likely to be images of album covers etc.

Good luck with your sideline enterprise. Please post a link when the website is done.

The watering can (aka 'The Goose') isn't easily offended, but I don't think it needs internet fame if that's what you're suggesting when you offer to post some pictures.