iPhone straight into DAC - does this work?

baldy38

Oct 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a couple of queries hopefully someone will be able to help me with.

If a DAC has a USB input (see Chord Chordette Gem, Chord Peach, forthcoming Rega, etc) can you play an iPhone straight into it using the phone's USB cable, rather than the more usual method of using as laptop?

And if you do, does the sound quality match that from the PC (assuming of course the files are of the same quality).

And if using one of the above DACs, how would the sound quality compare with my Rega Saturn. Would it be anywhere near, or to match it would I have to be looking at a Cyrus DAC-X+ (which, of course, doesn't have a USB input)?

Also, can you use an Apple Time Capsule to store your music on and wirelessly play it from there through the computer into the DAC? And, again, are there any issues with sound quality?

(You'll have realised by now that I'm just starting out on this computer-based music idea, really, and don't have a DAC).

Here's hoping someone can help.

(Rega Saturn, Leema Pulse, B&W 805S, Chord Odyssey, Van den Hul the intergration hybrid)

baldy38

Oct 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks, Andrew.

And do any of those devices have that authentication - it's not something that seems to be widely mentioned in reviews.

Any views on the sound quality questions, too?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Plug one of these Onkyo iPod transports into your DAC (it will charge the iPod too and has remote control.)

They cost about £130

(The forthcoming £500 Rega DAC is a stand-alone, and uprated, version of your Rega Saturn's internal DAC. So - in conjunction with the Onkyo transport - I would expect the performance to be comparable with lossless content playing.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts