IPAD vs Laptop

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Hello, I am thinking about replacing my laptop and I was wondering if an IPAD could also be considered as a replacement for a laptop. I am a bit concerned about connectivity, storage space and video/audio possibilities. Ex. is it possible to connect to camera/phone to download pics or, connect to projector/tv or install software, connect to external hard drive, or play all type of videos ex, xVID, avi, etc...

In summary... can this replace a laptop?

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
If you need to do all that extra stuff and access files/videos that aren't itunes friendly then I would say you're not the intended user.

It can't access an external harddrive, it wont natively play xvid etc videos, only itunes friendly unless you stream from a desktop that uses an app to convert on the fly. You can buy an adaptor to take an SD card...but it's fairly pricey. I think i'm right that you can connect to a projector with HDMI and mirror the ipad.

Paul.

iPad is not intended to replace your personal computer.

xvid etc, yes, with the VLC app.

Projector etc, yes, but you have to buy a hdmi dongle.

Phones, no, card reader yes

external hard disk, no. You can however setup a drop box or something similar.

I think iPad cant replace a laptop, but I found it significantly reduces laptop usage. I take my iPad to meeting, make notes, show my portfolio, browsing etc with it. Serious document editing needs a laptop for now.

When iOS 5 comes out shortly, you will be able to activate an iPad without the use of a computer, and instal updates without tethering. You could in theory go computerless and just back up to a time machine or the cloud, depending how meaty a task you demand of it.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks very much for all the info, it sounds like a "nice to have" but would still require a laptop in addition. It is really a pitty that it can not connect to hard drive via wi-fi or usb, that would at least solve the main problem which is the storage capacity. To be honest I do not use my laptop very much since I already spend 8 hours in the office looking to a laptop screen. I basically use it for my phone pics, phone maps, music, photos, some internet browsing, e-m, aim and some movies downloads xvid and avi mainly. Also planning to use in future to navigate in the sea for sailing. Therefore it sounds that unfortunatelly even though I like the IPAD very much, I will still need a laptop. Thanks again for all the information.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
A more serious (not summary) answer from me. In our house, it's a Sofa Surfer. It can't rip CDs, I can't edit a document on it, I can't (without buying extra kit) back-up my camera photos. What I can do though is surf the web, control my Sonos, listen to music, do my emails, carry all my photos with me, check the weather etc

My advice would be to try and borrow one. You'll find yourself using it for more than you ever thought.

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
rendu said:
Thanks very much for all the info, it sounds like a "nice to have" but would still require a laptop in addition. It is really a pitty that it can not connect to hard drive via wi-fi or usb, that would at least solve the main problem which is the storage capacity. To be honest I do not use my laptop very much since I already spend 8 hours in the office looking to a laptop screen. I basically use it for my phone pics, phone maps, music, photos, some internet browsing, e-m, aim and some movies downloads xvid and avi mainly. Also planning to use in future to navigate in the sea for sailing. Therefore it sounds that unfortunatelly even though I like the IPAD very much, I will still need a laptop. Thanks again for all the information.

You could consider a synology NAS (such as DS211j) ...the apps they have - DS photo, DS music and DSfile - allow you to access photos, music and video files directly from the NAS on an ipad, although I don't know, but I suspect, they would have to be in the right format for ipad to play them...so might be worth a bit more investigation...

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
I've tried searching "an SMB share" and I just simply didnt understand what it was from websites I found. Is there an idiots guide to networking/streaming somewhere for a keen novice?

Paul.

I'm not the best person to ask, I stuck with Airplay cos its simple. Do you have a NAS drive already? What make and model is it? You could try googling 'Samba share', its an open source version of SMB/CIFS and pretty common on NAS drives.

A NAS drive tends to be a low powered pc chip running a version of linux, so it can run on its own without being connected to a PC. Bit hard to advise without knowing whats in your setup.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Western Digital have just released a NAS drive ( WD Live Cloud ) with iphone and iPad apps so you can transfer files , though i'm not 100% on what the full files can be tranfered to your iPhone and iPad.

It does say photos , music and media if the device has itunes but i'm not sure if it works with iPad

A

Anonymous

When they make one with a keyboard, and HDMI and USB sockets and flash compatible, and with a bigger screen, then it may replace a laptop, oh wait...

Seriously though, I am using a 17" laptop on my lap, mouse on the sofa-arm. It's really comfy and I can browse any website, and touch-type. I'd like a tablet, but it would be a pure luxury item.

The closest I have seen to replacing a laptop is the Asus Transformer Prime. But the screen is still too small.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts