IPad or Samsung 10-1 or Kindle?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I want to use a tablet for book reading (Kindle) but may like the added features of the Samsung or Ipad. Using it for email, Facebook etc and possibly to read mags such as this one, newspapers etc. Some discussion would be welcome.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

RobinKidderminster said:
I want to use a tablet for book reading (Kindle) but may like the added features of the Samsung or Ipad. Using it for email, Facebook etc and possibly to read mags such as this one, newspapers etc. Some discussion would be welcome.

Cheers

It really does depend on your priority. I have a Kindle and have never read so much!

Advantages of the Kindle...

1. Battery lasts 3 to 4 weeks on a charge

2. Easy to read in sunlight, in fact it gets clearer if anything

3. Perfect size and weight for a book

4. e-ink is much easier on the eyes than staring at a bright LCD panel

Disadvantages

1. Because it isn't lit, you need a light source. You can get a cover with one built in though.

2. It really is "only" a bok reader... internet browsing is at best awful.

By the way there are a few newspapers and magazines on Kindle already, although obviously not free

The other thing, it costs so little you could probably get both.

A

Anonymous

Not "best" of both. The Kindle is easily the best for "book reading". The iPad and other tablets are ok, but useless in the sun and more strain on the eyes if you're like me and read for hours on end.

Like I said though, I'd get both, although it would be android over Apple. But my phone is fine for the other stuff when I'm not at the laptop.

Going by the cost difference of Kindle 3G in UK & US, I think Kindle Fire will cost around £155-160.

I've got iPad 2 wifi only version, & I don't miss 3G at all. I simple convert my phone's 3G to a wifi hotspot to connect my iPad 2.

In case of Kindle ereader, I'll personally prefer a 3G version, as it's free for life.

Paul.

The only fault I can see is the lack of true multi touch (it can only handle two contact points) rulling out a lot of fun stuff iPad can do with apps. But purely for browsing and content veiwing, looks like a winner for the price.

A

Anonymous

If they do the pricing fairly (as in the original kindle), I can see Apple going out of business... but seriously, that would be like, erm, amazing. Good ould Amazon!

Apple will never go out of business. Yes, it's market share will be dented a bit. Amazon's 10-inch offering in 2012 will be the one to watch, if they price it right.

There's going to be one huge outcome from Amazon's announcement; suddenly Android Honeycomb has become attractive to app makers, & I predict an exponential growth in tablet specific Android apps, which will give a level playing field for Android tablets to compete with Apple.

The spanner in the works will come from Microsoft. If Windows tablet is anywhere close to iPad in terms of slickness, we may be in for a surprise. I think that's the dark horse, with MS Office up its sleeve. No wonder it hasn't released Office in the app store or android marketplace.

A

Anonymous

hehe. No, of course Apple will be around for a while yet!

but I am very tempted for the 1st time to invest in a tablet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts