Iotavx SA3 Audiolab 6000a and speakers decisions

bwcasnap

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
I'm looking to spend around 1000 euro for amp and speakers and have it short listed to two main combinations.

Audiolab 6000a with elac debut 6.2 or similar 300 euro speaker
Or
Iotavx sa3 with Focal aria 906, which I can get here in France for 500 euro on sale now

The Iota has a sub out, tone controls (which might be needed in my square living room). Audiolab has the better DAC, but I have a ifi Zen, so that isn't a big concern for now. So, it comes down to cheaper amp with better speakers, or cheaper speaker with more expensive amp. Not sure if the audiolab has enough over the iotavx to make it worth the extra money.

Thoughts? It's driving me mad.

Unfortunately Iotavx are pretty much an unknown commodity in the UK so cannot really comment on these.
I think you may be disappointed in the future if you didn't get the best speakers you can afford now.
This is always assuming they work well in your listening room, you might actually find the cheaper speakers work better, who knows. You have to get this bit sorted first.

rainsoothe

I'm looking to spend around 1000 euro for amp and speakers and have it short listed to two main combinations.

Audiolab 6000a with elac debut 6.2 or similar 300 euro speaker
Or
Iotavx sa3 with Focal aria 906, which I can get here in France for 500 euro on sale now

The Iota has a sub out, tone controls (which might be needed in my square living room). Audiolab has the better DAC, but I have a ifi Zen, so that isn't a big concern for now. So, it comes down to cheaper amp with better speakers, or cheaper speaker with more expensive amp. Not sure if the audiolab has enough over the iotavx to make it worth the extra money.

Thoughts? It's driving me mad.
Wait, you can get Focal Aria for 500 E? Get them right now, it's a no-brainer. Normally I'm all about "source and amplification first", but this is too god of a deal, and the Arias are so unfussy with partnering equipment, positioning etc - and they also sound great.

As for the amp, they do benefit from better amplification - a Naim Nait 5si would be my amplifier of choice, if you can find and afford a used one, but if you're strapped for cash, the Iotavx has the benefit of being able to have it's matching power amp added at a later date. The Rotel A11 Tribute and Marantz PM6007 are also worth consideration.

bwcasnap

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
Wait, you can get Focal Aria for 500 E? Get them right now, it's a no-brainer. Normally I'm all about "source and amplification first", but this is too god of a deal, and the Arias are so unfussy with partnering equipment, positioning etc - and they also sound great.

As for the amp, they do benefit from better amplification - a Naim Nait 5si would be my amplifier of choice, if you can find and afford a used one, but if you're strapped for cash, the Iotavx has the benefit of being able to have it's matching power amp added at a later date. The Rotel A11 Tribute and Marantz PM6007 are also worth consideration.

Thanks, that's what I'm leaning towards. I figure I can use the sa3 as a pre at a later date if I want more power, or replace it with a stronger integrated. Plus the sa3 has a few more options for tone/bass if my room forces some adjustments.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts