iOS7 on an iPhone 4

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

John Duncan

bigboss said:
Not sure if I like iOS 7 yet. No real speed improvements (not slow either). I think I prefer the older interface. How do I get google searchbar on Safari browser?

You don't - just type the search term in the browser bar and it does google search for you (like in chrome). You can change the search engine (if you must) in settings.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Not sure if I like iOS 7 yet. No real speed improvements (not slow either). I think I prefer the older interface. How do I get google searchbar on Safari browser?

Settings - Safari - General - Search Engine then touch the arrow and select Google. (Just as before.)

Mine had Google before and still had Google afterwards. All of my settings were preserved after update.

John Duncan

chebby said:
bigboss said:

Settings - Safari - General - Search Engine then touch the arrow and select Google. (Just as before.)

Mine had Google before and still had Google afterwards. All of my settings were preserved after update.

Yes, but the address box and the search box used to be separate, now there's just the one box that does both, which I'm presuming was BB's question?

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Watch out - iOS 7 will have switched off Do Not Track in Safari's settings.

It's definitely faster and has many useful tweaks. But I'm miffed it's re-assigned my defalult email account from, ironically, iCloud to Yahoo, and battery-life is now poor.

How long before we get 7.1? :roll:

John Duncan said:
bigboss said:

You don't - just type the search term in the browser bar and it does google search for you (like in chrome). You can change the search engine (if you must) in settings.

Aaaah.....

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
6th.replicant said:

oh good god, apple :wall:

There's also an issue for enterprise users - Under ios7, if you phone is tethered to your icloud account for the find my iphone/it's been stolen feature, unless that person removes the phone from their icloud account it becomes totally useless. So, businesses now need to make sure that any staff leaving have done this otherwise they'll end up with a pile of very expensive paperweights...

RoyD

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't like it at all. It improved after I'd completely wiped my iPad 2 and re-installed it but the design is woeful. Ilike design and have more than a passing interest in it but the appearance of IOS 7 on ipad 2 is terribe; the icon colours are gaudy and colourway in some of the features like calendar are rank. The homescreen for safari consists of shades of grey and the keyboards is indistinct.

I appreciate it is optimised for retina devices but there has been so much hype around IOS7 since it was announced in June (".....it will be like getting a completely new device.....") that I thought installing it was a no risk choice; it is of course, entirely my fault that i didn't back up m ipad before installin ios7! if it isn't optimised for non retina devices why not allow easy re-installation of IOS 6?

I have an iMac , ipod classic, Ipad 2 and really like the design and form factor of apple products but this has really annoyed me. I was actively looking for a new tablet and I'm afraid the new Samsung note 10.1 is looking more attractive than the expected iPad 5.

Should the imminenet arrival of Mavericks cause me some concern?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I too am just not getting on with the new colour-schemes and stripped-bare 'de-chroming'. The colours and icons are like those we had on 16-colour 8-bit computers in the 80s before 16-bit and 24-bit graphics exploded our visual experiences into a world of shades, shadows and subtle lifelike gradations. Simple things like how Notes had yellow lined paper and a less-formal font. Game-centre's green baize. The 3D speech-bubbles in Messages rather than solid green and grey. Sorry Jonny Ive it wasn't all unnecessary chrome and clutter. It was all about finesse and elegance. Now the graphics on my iPhone look like something from a cheap counterfeit clone.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I like the de-cluttering that's happened. Someone has come in and removed all the wood and faux leather and left it fresh and colourful. I can see a lot of Eames and Dieter Rams influence going on here (not suprising) except for for the calculator, which used to be Ives' homage to the BrAun calculator that Dieter Rams designed. (Should have left that as it was.)

It's like the Kinneir/Calvert designed motorway signage that came out in the late 1950s compared to the often picturesque (but useless at speed) hodge-podge that went before.

But that's only my opinion and that's as far as it count's.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Just shows how opinions can differ and be so polarised about such fundamental changes, What you see as a much-needed removal of wood and faux leather has imo made way for a colour-scheme which is gaudy, crude and lacks finesse.

John Duncan

I can more or less deal with the colour scheme (though contrast is not good enough), and the new ex-Android touches are good (more functionality from lock screen, security issues notwithstanding). But I think the iPhone 4S is the limit, hardware-wise...

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I can more or less deal with the colour scheme (though contrast is not good enough) ...

Dunno if it actually makes a difference, but ...

Settings > General > Accessibility > Increase Contrast > (default setting is off)

Meanwhile, just done 40-ish mins of general interwebbing - incl a couple of brief BBC news vids and two 3.5-minute music vids on YouTube - and the battery's plunged from 85 to 62%. Aww, c'mon! :wall:

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
6th.replicant said:
... I'm miffed it's re-assigned my default email account from, ironically, iCloud to Yahoo ...

Solved: go to Mail > main Mailboxes screen > tap Edit (top right) > Accounts (bottom of screen) > tap/hold the three-bar tab on your preferred/default account's bar and slide it to the top of the list > tap Done.

Overall I prefer 7's operability. But while I never liked skeuomorphism's wood/leather/baize, I'm not keen on the new icons' design - eg, Settings looks like a bathroom extractor fan and I assume they forgot to finish Safari's icon - or the bleak colour palette, especially Notes and Messages' insipid hues. And Messages now look plain dull - bring back the speech bubbles.

In an effort to be the antithesis of Google's corporate primary colours, iOS 7 is waaay too gloomy.

gloomy-smiley-emoticon.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
6th.replicant said:
Meanwhile, just done 40-ish mins of general interwebbing - incl a couple of brief BBC news vids and two 3.5-minute music vids on YouTube - and the battery's plunged from 85 to 62%. Aww, c'mon! :wall:

Weird.

I have been going around switching off 'Location Based iAds' and 'Popular Near Me' and switching on 'Limit Ad Tracking' and tidying up old messages (from my old provider and other old stuff).

Tidying up what is synced to iPad Mini and iPhone 5 respectively and playing with backgrouds.

I am not doing this because of any 'issues' in particular (and I have not noticed any difference in battery usage since IOS7), I just decided to have a bit of a clean up and check for any new settings (and any old ones that might have changed).

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Weird, indeed.

I've switched off all of the following:

- Location Based iAds

- Popular Near Me

- AirDrop

- Bluetooth

- Mail fetch/push (set to Manually)

- Spotlight

- Raise to Speak

- Background App Refresh

- Location Services limited to Camera, Compass, Maps, Safari and Siri

- Screen brightness is set to 50% and Auto

One of the geek sites recommends 'restoring the phone as a new device', which sounds like a major faff. Or can it be done via iTunes, with all settings restored via Restore Backup? :?

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
OK, now done. Let's see if that works.

Also, I wonder if the culprit is Vodafone's hidden gubbins, which also updated when iOS 7 was installed?

A YouTube geek suggests running the battery down to zero, recharging to 100% and then doing a hard reboot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8hIcei5yjg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts