iOS7 on an iPhone 4

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Downloading now on my iPhone 4S. ETA four hours! :O Think I'm streaming it straight from Steve's HDD in heaven.

iTunes 11.1 turned up as well. No iTunes Radio though, I notice...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Got iPad Mini and iPhone 5 (and iTunes updates on 3 computers) done in just over an hour altogether.

Major, what speed is your internet connection? 4 hours is insane for just the download. (That bit only took about 7 minutes.)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
8Mb or thereabouts. The iTunes 11.1 update was finished in less than two minutes, this is apparently 1.19gb, and similar downloads don't usually take very long. Not sure what cacophony of servers I'm receiving it through.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
:cheer:

I quit it and started it again, now I seem to be receiving it at a more-acceptable 1 megabyte per sec, which is about the going-rate on my line.

God alone knows what spaghetti-junction of servers I was routed through last time lol. I just assumed it was high volume of traffic at Apple's end, considering this is 'the' day.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
... this is apparently 1.19gb, and similar downloads don't usually take very long. Not sure what cacophony of servers I'm receiving it through.

My iPhone 5 said the download was 752MB. (I didn't do the updates via a 'host' iTunes but direct from phone/tablet in settings - general - software update). l use Virgin Media cable 20Mbps 'L' and Wi-fi via AirPort Extreme.

Make sure your devices have their re-charging leads plugged in though.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
...after all that I get an error message: "Software Update Failed. An error occurred downloading iOS 7.0", and after half an hour downloading it too.

Maybe I'll wait a few days until the cretins have debugged their method of delivering it...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
...after all that I get an error message: "Software Update Failed. An error occurred downloading iOS 7.0", and after half an hour downloading it too.

Maybe I'll wait a few days until the cretins have debugged their method of delivering it...

Just hold down the control button and the power off button together for a few seconds until it powers off.

Power it back on. Plug in it's recharger lead (into USB on computer or mains adapter) and go to settings - general - software update.

That worked for me without problems on two devices.

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
MajorFubar said:
... this is apparently 1.19gb, and similar downloads don't usually take very long. Not sure what cacophony of servers I'm receiving it through.

My iPhone 5 said the download was 752MB. (I didn't do the updates via a 'host' iTunes but direct from phone/tablet in settings - general - software update). l use Virgin Media cable 20Mbps 'L' and Wi-fi via AirPort Extreme.

Make sure your devices have their re-charging leads plugged in though.
Yes I did the Same.Took around 35mins on Bt fttc 75 megs

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah just tried that, just after my last post. Got three quarters way through the download then gave me the same "Software Update Failed" message. I'm in no rush; I'll come back to it in a few days. One way or another, it has to be related to too many people trying to download it at once.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
On an i5 - using the phone, the 1st attempt's ETA was 5 hours, then it said: 'Software Update Failed.' Immediately tried again via my MBP and all done and dusted in approx 20 mins.

Ooo, it's like having a new phone, lots of useful goodies and seems a wee bit speedier all round, but Siri now sounds a bit muffled / gloomy compared to his chipper old self.

Generally very chuffed, unlike my 2.5-year spell with Android - when it was only 6 months old, the HTC handset was deemed 'obsolete / ineligible' for any full Android update. The only update it was ever sent was a mild tweak to fix the recalcitrant and erratic trackball |(

EDIT: not so keen on iOS 7's new Clock, all looks a bit bleak / cold, preferred the old tumbler thingy's design :(

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thought I'd give it one last go before I went to bed, so attempt number 5 (two via iTunes, two via phone itself, this 5th via iTunes again). Got half way through the download, now I get "There was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone. An unknown error occurred (9006)"

Jolly poor show, Apple. This most certainly is NOT the 'it just works' Apple we knew of old :shame: . Mr Jobs will be turning in his grave.

I'll try again tomorrow. If that fails I'll just give up!

Paul.

MajorFubar said:
Thought I'd give it one last go before I went to bed, so attempt number 5 (two via iTunes, two via phone itself, this 5th via iTunes again). Got half way through the download, now I get "There was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone. An unknown error occurred (9006)"

Jolly poor show, Apple. This most certainly is NOT the 'it just works' Apple we knew of old :shame: . Mr Jobs will be turning in his grave.

I'll try again tomorrow. If that fails I'll just give up!

Its like this every year, the activation server gets swamped. Last year, 15% of iOS devices were updated within 24 hours, that's something like 60 million devices if true. The networks at a couple of US university have been knocked out under the weight of iOS updates. I actually think its pretty impressive it works at all under that kind of load?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Paul. said:
Its like this every year, the activation server gets swamped.

True, what annoyed me the most was getting half way through or 3/4's way through before it failed with some random error. Would prefer it if it gave me a 'too busy, call back later' message considerably earlier in the process. Like at the start.

Anyhow I tried again first thing this morning while America was sleeping and it worked first time. My verdict: overall I like it but the icons imo look cheapened, glammed-up and posterized. No doubt I'll get used in time. Presumably this is also the sign of things to come on OS XI...

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Is it my imagination or is my i5's battery now taking longer to charge? :?

And why has iOS 7's Mail re-assigned my default email account - ie, when I go into Mail it goes straight to the 'wrong' account's inbox?
irked.gif

But I do like the new sounds/ringtones, new Safari has some useful tweaks, and the new swipeys are good, too :)

And iOS 7's Siri still sound like he needs some Vicks Sinex... :p

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Taking longer to charge might be a good thing. I've usually found that newer Apple products take quite a long time to charge, and as time goes by, they charge quicker, which I assume is down to the fact that the battery is holding less charge due to wear an tear. Maybe they've improved its efficiency and the battery now lasts longer?

TRENDING THREADS