Introduction into Projectors

robstar63

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
1. Decide LCD or DLP - DLP sometimes suffers from the 'Rainbow' effect - bright fringes of rainbow colours around bright objects. This is caused by the spinning colour wheel on DLP. Cheaper DLPs have only one chip and suffer more from this effect - more expensive DLPs may not Some people suffer more than others. I find it very distracting and have stayed with LCD ever since trying a DLP and seeing this problem. People with blue eyes(like mine are said to see (suffer) this more than others . Do not buy a DLP without viewing to check whther this is an issue for you or if not go with one that has unanimously been recommnended and qouted as not suffering from Rainbow effect

2. FULL HD or HD Ready - Full HD starts at about £1000.00 now - I have a Sanyo PLV Z700 £999 from Ivojo this is Full HD. Rated by most magazines

Full HD DLPs start at a similar price

If you require something cheaper - go for Panasonic PTAX200E - I had one of these and the colours are superb £700

3. Running noise - a good PJ will run at about 21 decibels (such as my Sanyo) reasonable level of noise is up to about 24 decibels. DLPs tend to make more noise 0- again due to the whirring colour wheel.

This more of an issue the closer your PJ is to your seating position. Mine sits above our heads so it was very important to get a very quiet model. I can genuienly describe teh Sany as running at a whisper on the reduced lamp brightness setting (recommended fror the picture quality and lamp life in any case) When you get up to around 30 decibels you are getting quite a lot of background noise

4. Cablingt - you need to consider how far away your sources (blu ray player etc ) are and how you are going to get your cables to the PJ - can you thread them through a partition wall or coving etc. How much are the cablkes going to cost - I have a 15 metre HDMI lead and another 15 meter component cable

5. There will be quite a lot of difference between a £1000.00 pj such as mine and a £2000.00 one such as Panasonic PTAE3000

The more you spend the better the picture so long as you go for recommended products that all of the magazines agree on such as the two above. The higher the price the better the lens and chips etc will be

6. Lamp life and cost - PJ lamps cost £100 upwards - Panasonic PTae300 is about £250 ish I believe. Some last longer than others my previous Panasonic PTAE750 went 1300 hours before i sold it still on original bulb. This gave me 4 years of regular use . Most are expected to last 2 - 3000 hours

7.Brightness - are you going to view only in a blacked out room - if not and you want to view in daylight with curtains closed for instance you will need quite a bright pj - PTAX200 e - particularly good 2000 ANSI lumens. 1200 is average (such as Sanyo PLVz700) The brighter the higher the |ANSI lumens rating and the brighter is the image which can affect the colour rendition (whites are better with brighter bulb

8. Contrast - the higher the rating the better the blacks - the better the vblacks the better are the coloures in general

9. How and where are you going to mout it - table top - are kids an issue - or ceiling - needs to be central to the screen to avoid distotion (some have keystone correction to adjust the affect of height of pj compared to screen) How much is the celing mount going to cost. PJs weigh quite a bit - are you able to mount 7 - 10 kgs on your ceiling safely ?

10. Screen - electic or manual - I have manual - not a problem takes only seconds to pull down - although an electric version would be preferable £100 upwards fordecent manual. £400 ? upwards for electric. What size are you going for - drop down or floor mounted or portable.

11. Throw ratio some PJs have a wider range of throw ratio. If you have a small room or a large screen compared to the size of the screen you will need a PJ that can shrink the image down small enough to fit onto your screen from the distance the pj is away from that particular sized screen. There are charts on the internet to help with this - fror each particular pj.

Being summoned by my wife now - this hould get you started - get back to you if i think of anything else - any particular queries - let me know

robstar63

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
1. Decide LCD or DLP - DLP sometimes suffers from the 'Rainbow' effect - bright fringes of rainbow colours around bright objects. This is caused by the spinning colour wheel on DLP. Cheaper DLPs have only one chip and suffer more from this effect - more expensive DLPs may not Some people suffer more than others. I find it very distracting and have stayed with LCD ever since trying a DLP and seeing this problem. People with blue eyes(like mine are said to see (suffer) this more than others . Do not buy a DLP without viewing to check whther this is an issue for you or if not go with one that has unanimously been recommnended and qouted as not suffering from Rainbow effect

2. FULL HD or HD Ready - Full HD starts at about £1000.00 now - I have a Sanyo PLV Z700 £999 from Ivojo this is Full HD. Rated by most magazines

Full HD DLPs start at a similar price

If you require something cheaper - go for Panasonic PTAX200E - I had one of these and the colours are superb £700

3. Running noise - a good PJ will run at about 21 decibels (such as my Sanyo) reasonable level of noise is up to about 24 decibels. DLPs tend to make more noise 0- again due to the whirring colour wheel.

This more of an issue the closer your PJ is to your seating position. Mine sits above our heads so it was very important to get a very quiet model. I can genuienly describe teh Sany as running at a whisper on the reduced lamp brightness setting (recommended fror the picture quality and lamp life in any case) When you get up to around 30 decibels you are getting quite a lot of background noise

4. Cablingt - you need to consider how far away your sources (blu ray player etc ) are and how you are going to get your cables to the PJ - can you thread them through a partition wall or coving etc. How much are the cablkes going to cost - I have a 15 metre HDMI lead and another 15 meter component cable

5. There will be quite a lot of difference between a £1000.00 pj such as mine and a £2000.00 one such as Panasonic PTAE3000

The more you spend the better the picture so long as you go for recommended products that all of the magazines agree on such as the two above. The higher the price the better the lens and chips etc will be

6. Lamp life and cost - PJ lamps cost £100 upwards - Panasonic PTae300 is about £250 ish I believe. Some last longer than others my previous Panasonic PTAE750 went 1300 hours before i sold it still on original bulb. This gave me 4 years of regular use . Most are expected to last 2 - 3000 hours

7.Brightness - are you going to view only in a blacked out room - if not and you want to view in daylight with curtains closed for instance you will need quite a bright pj - PTAX200 e - particularly good 2000 ANSI lumens. 1200 is average (such as Sanyo PLVz700) The brighter the higher the |ANSI lumens rating and the brighter is the image which can affect the colour rendition (whites are better with brighter bulb

8. Contrast - the higher the rating the better the blacks - the better the vblacks the better are the coloures in general

9. How and where are you going to mout it - table top - are kids an issue - or ceiling - needs to be central to the screen to avoid distotion (some have keystone correction to adjust the affect of height of pj compared to screen) How much is the celing mount going to cost. PJs weigh quite a bit - are you able to mount 7 - 10 kgs on your ceiling safely ?

10. Screen - electic or manual - I have manual - not a problem takes only seconds to pull down - although an electric version would be preferable £100 upwards fordecent manual. £400 ? upwards for electric. What size are you going for - drop down or floor mounted or portable.

11. Throw ratio some PJs have a wider range of throw ratio. If you have a small room or a large screen compared to the size of the screen you will need a PJ that can shrink the image down small enough to fit onto your screen from the distance the pj is away from that particular sized screen. There are charts on the internet to help with this - fror each particular pj.

Being summoned by my wife now - this hould get you started - get back to you if i think of anything else - any particular queries - let me know

A

Anonymous

Thanks, that helped alot. Sadly we changed plans here. We can't get the room dark enough for a projector plus our budget would not allow it. Still It is always nice to know what this option is. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS