INTERS OR SPEAKER CABLES FIRST

stiffy

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I'm off to treat myself to new cables tomorrow and need to know if I should get speaker cables or interconnects first.

Which one is likely to make the biggest difference? I can't afford to buy both at the same time.

Thanks

John

A

Anonymous

I assume you're talking about analogue interconnects. In that case if I were you I would change whichever piece of your current kit has the lowest quality/performance etc. first.

Or find some good deals on internet en get both
emotion-2.gif

James

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
How have you chosen which cables your to buy? (as in manufacturer and code)

What do you use now?

First thing I look at is mains supply, then ill move onto interconnects and speaker cables last

idc

You may have reason to change the speaker cables, particularly if you have low impedance speakers or a very long cable run. Low impedance speakers benefit from lower resistance cables and long runs benefit from a lower AWG, or in other words a thicker cable. Braiding the cable also helps with rejection of interference as a speaker cable can act as an aerial.

A

Anonymous

not sure there is an easy answer - If you demo the cables you want to end up with, then buy the cables which make most difference now then the others.

T

the record spot

stiffy:
Hi Everyone,

I'm off to treat myself to new cables tomorrow and need to know if I should get speaker cables or interconnects first.

Which one is likely to make the biggest difference? I can't afford to buy both at the same time.

Thanks

John

You don't need to spend a lot if you don't want to. My cabling's cost me £32 all in. 322 strand 12 (I think) AWG speaker cable, single wired (£5.49), one pair of QED Qunex 2 interconnects (£20) and a pair of generic but good quality interconnects (£7). The system sounds great. You can, of course, choose to spend a lot of money, after all, it's your money(!), but keep an open mind about all of this.

stiffy

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I hadn't intended to spend a lot, maybe up to £40 on the interconnect and around the same on 7 - 8m of speaker cable. I'm just not sure that any noticeable improvement will be gained over my current 79 strand £1 per metre QED and cheapo £8 digital interconnect. I might be better keeping the cash and saving it towards a speaker upgrade in the new year.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
stiffy:
Yeah, I hadn't intended to spend a lot, maybe up to £40 on the interconnect and around the same on 7 - 8m of speaker cable. I'm just not sure that any noticeable improvement will be gained over my current 79 strand £1 per metre QED and cheapo £8 digital interconnect. I might be better keeping the cash and saving it towards a speaker upgrade in the new year.

Buying van damme UP LC-OFC interconnect and speaker cables will work out about 40 quid (a bit more for connectors) and I feel would be far better than what you use now

TRENDING THREADS