Internet Radio

StevenKay

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi All

Internet Radio

Are there many folks using an Internet Radio? Is it something useful to have when you already have so many internet radio stations freely available on your broadband enabled PC / Laptop?

Which are the decent ones available and what is the price range. Could you please share your experience of using one and about its utility.

Thanks

Steven Kay

John Duncan

Well I have a Uniti, which is perhaps not really what you're talking about, but I find it useful to have all of the BBC regional stations available as well as the ones normally only available locally (Sportsound on Radio Scotland is genius), and I also find it useful having podcasts lined up as well. Quality generally isn't always that great, but there are some exceptions, and they're nearly always better than the DAB equivalent :)

EDIT - oh and I do like having various podcasts and catchup programmes available to hand, though I don't know whether that's just a Uniti thing...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Pure Evoke Flow in kitchen, Marantz M-CR603 in living room.

Both are rock solid on all BBC streams (and many other UK and non-UK stations that I like to play around with).

Radio Paradise however is a bit flaky on both machines occasionally. I know this isn't a problem with our 10meg (Virgin cable) internet connection because that supports multiple, simultaneous, iPlayer (tv and radio) streaming without a glitch.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I listen to quite a lot of radio via the internet on the M-CR603. I haven't even bothered with the DAB, FM or AM radio, everything I need is on the internet. We have a large 50 Mb Virgin broadband connection and I've got an ethernet cable running from the router into the Marantz and the quality is excellent. I listen to radio Paradise most of all and that's been rock solid for me so far.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
We have a large 50 Mb Virgin broadband connection and I've got an ethernet cable running from the router into the Marantz and the quality is excellent. I listen to radio Paradise most of all and that's been rock solid for me so far.

Like I say, far denser TV streaming from BBC iplayer (often on the TV and a computer at the same time when two of us are watching different things) is supported without a problem, and without slowing any other internet activity, but the 128k Radio Paradise stream will glitch now and then. It will glitch even when it is virtually the only thing active on the internet connection, so it is not a capacity issue (we don't need 50mbps to get a 128k radio stream to work without errors) and our M-CR603 is also connected via ethernet.

It is not frequent - sometimes a couple of occurances in four or five hours and sometimes none at all - but a little annoying when it happens and a mystery why it doesn't happen to other internet 'stations'.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts