Intermittently soundless LEFT speaker only when power on.

mrlawrencelam

Mar 25, 2022
Visit site
SIMPLE SETUP:
Marantz CD-5000 CD player + Marantz PM-47 amplifier + One pair JPW P1 speakers.

PROBLEM:
20% of the time when I power up the CD player and amplifier and start playing a CD, the LEFT speaker is soundless. I have to power off the player/amplifier and re-play the CD 1~3 times before the left speaker is fine.

And once the speaker sounds normally, it will work fine even if played for hours.

I have checked the RCA cable between speaker and amp. I have also checked the RCA cable between the amplifier and CD player. I have also cleaned all contact points and changed to banana plugs (before it was bare wire screw-on).

Very weird. Power on off a few times, the left speaker sounds again and won't give problem until the next time I power on/off. And because of this, I doubt the problem is due to poor contact.

Firs step of elimination - try powering off just the amp, and after a few times of that, just the amp. At least you'll know which is at fault - it's unlikely to be both. You may also need to try the CDP connected to different amp inputs.

After that, you'll need to swap one end of interconnects and see whether the problem moves from side to side, then swap back and do the same with the speaker cable.

Reactions: mrlawrencelam

mrlawrencelam

Mar 25, 2022
Visit site
Is it power consuming if I leave the amplifier and CD player power-on forever after stop playing music? I will see if the problem occurs if I do so.

shadders

@shadders Yes. With or without the sound from left speaker, the click (or tag-in) sound is always there 2 seconds after I turn on the Marantz amplifier.
Hi,
Just to confirm, when there is no sound from the left speaker when you play a CD, then if there is no white noise from the speaker, then it is likely a sticky relay.

It can be replaced, but i would get quotes, as the cost may be close to a new amplifier.

Regards,
Shadders.

shadders

Is it power consuming if I leave the amplifier and CD player power-on forever after stop playing music? I will see if the problem occurs if I do so.
Hi,
I would not leave equipment always on, as it does waste electricity - here in the UK the costs have increased 50% a few days ago.

When the amplifier or CD player is off, then the equipment will last longer. Some argue that turn on stresses the components, yet no definitive evidence that this means equipment fails quicker.

Regards,
Shadders.

mrlawrencelam

Mar 25, 2022
Visit site
There was a time when 6W was regarded as nothing.
No doubt it still is by many people (the type that pick things off the shelves in supermarkets without looking at the prices).

Check your unit price for electricity (measured in kWh)
You get about a continuous week of standby for the cost of a unit.
Checked. It is about US$0.25/month for standby power-on 24 hours/day.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts