Intermittent Distortion

elnorte

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
Hi

Just a quick query that I hope someone might be able to help with. I posted a few months back about an issue I was experiencing with hum from my speakers.

The problem was never really properly resolved but a more recent issue which has arisen is distortion or a buzzing-like sound emitting from one particular speaker. However, this is also a random fault and only occurs when playing certain records.

I don't believe it to be a problem with the vinyls themselves as at least one that it happens with is a new press while others while older are in very good condition.

I was just wondering if anyone else had any similar experiences at all and if by chance could advise on what may be causing the problem to occur?

elnorte

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
Hey

I did actually try this but forgot to mention it. The problem still seems to occur from the same speaker even after swapping the wires.

Gray

If the speaker is biwireable, with the links removed, try connecting to one pair of terminals at a time and listen carefully to each driver individually.

(It will help if you kill the sound from the good speaker while doing this)

Gray

BrodGasko said:
Hi...i am a new suer here. As per my knowledge if the speaker is biwireable, with the links removed, try connecting to one pair of terminals at a time and listen carefully to each driver individually. Try with this and i am sure this thing will work for you.
If the above ('new suer'?) poster hadn't read post #4 then his post is spooky.

If he had read it then the above post is strange. Either way, inexplicable.

elnorte said:
Gray said:
If the speaker is biwireable, with the links removed, try connecting to one pair of terminals at a time and listen carefully to each driver individually.

Hi Sorry for the delayed response. I've been a little busy! I tried removing the biwireable leads that connect the speakers to the amp one at a time and then plug them back into the opposing port(s). It stills seems to be same speaker causing the buzzing and distortion problem regardless of what port(s) it is plugged into. Not sure if this is exactly the test you intended me to do but hopefully that might shed a little more light on what the issue might be, Any further advice would be most welcome.

It is possible you have a fault in the crossover of that particular speaker. If yo know anyone else that has an amp etc. suggest you ask if you can plug your speakers into their system and see if problem persists.

elnorte

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
Gray said:

Hi

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been a little busy!

I tried removing the biwireable leads that connect the speakers to the amp one at a time and then plug them back into the opposing port(s).

It still seems to be the same speaker causing the buzzing and distortion problem regardless of what port(s) it is plugged into.

Not sure if this is exactly the test you intended me to do but hopefully that might shed a little more light on what the issue might be.

Any further advice would be most welcome.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts