Interesting... Google just bought Motorola mobility

Paul.

Google just bought Motorola Mobility for $12.5 billion. Sucks to be HTC and Samsung right now...

http://9to5google.com/2011/08/15/google-acquires-motorola-mobility-for-12-5-billion/

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
Google just bought Motorola Mobility for $12.5 billion. Sucks to be HTC and Samsung right now...

http://9to5google.com/2011/08/15/google-acquires-motorola-mobility-for-12-5-billion/

HTC don't seem to think so, nor do LG or Sony Ericsson (funny you didn't mention those two or are they too insignificant to be a real worry to Apple? Presumably not as I can't recall Apple launching any spurious lawsuits against those two in an effort to prevent them trading recently). Your ability to spin absolutely anything to make it sound like an advantage to Apple is quite extraordinary. Are you SURE you're not a fanboy...?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Your ability to spin absolutely anything to make it sound like an advantage to Apple is quite extraordinary. Are you SURE you're not a fanboy...?

sit.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Very interesting move by Google.

And what a trajectory for Motorola - car radios in the 1930s, powering Neil Armstrong's words from the moon during the space race, becoming one of the defining brands in emerging mobile phone market....now the offshoot of an internet company. Wow :exmark:

Paul.

The_Lhc said:
Paul Hobbs said:

Your ability to spin absolutely anything to make it sound like an advantage to Apple is quite extraordinary. Are you SURE you're not a fanboy...?

I did not mention Apple, or even imply it. Your strting to sound like a broken record player, and your sucking the fun out of these conversations for me.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
The_Lhc said:
Paul Hobbs said:

I did not mention Apple, or even imply it.

Riiiiight...

Your strting to sound like a broken record player, and your sucking the fun out of these conversations for me.

Funny, I was going to say exactly the same thing...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
I think Nexus is a good example that Google has eyes on a virticaly integrated system, but we shall see.

Not to mention that Motorola Mobility is big in set-top boxes for TV, giving Google TV a potential platform...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
Very interesting move by Google.

And what a trajectory for Motorola - car radios in the 1930s, powering Neil Armstrong's words from the moon during the space race, becoming one of the defining brands in emerging mobile phone market....now the offshoot of an internet company. Wow :exmark:

Does Motorola Mobility = Motorola in totem, ie is there another part of the company that doesn't deal with mobile phones/tablets or is that all they do now?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Does Motorola Mobility = Motorola in totem, ie is there another part of the company that doesn't deal with mobile phones/tablets or is that all they do now?

Motorola Mobility was recently spun off from the main Motorola company. What's left is called Motorola Solutions, and it does stuff like wireless voice and data systems for industry, digital point-to-point radio, barcode systems and stuff like that.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
The_Lhc said:

Motorola Mobility was recently spun off from the main Motorola company. What's left is called Motorola Solutions, and it does stuff like wireless voice and data systems for industry, digital point-to-point radio, barcode systems and stuff like that.

Ah ok, interesting stuff, ta.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
Sucks to be HTC and Samsung right now...

UPDATE: This from Bloomberg - 'Taoyuan, Taiwan-based HTC Corp., one of the largest manufacturers of handsets based on Android, said a linkup of Mountain View, California-based Google with Motorola will strengthen “the whole Android ecosystem.”

“This is something that is important for Google to do and important for the whole Android ecosystem to do,” HTC Chief Financial Officer Winston Yung said in a phone interview. “We’re happy that Android is taking steps to strengthen its patent portfolio. It will be beneficial for the whole group, the whole camp.”'

Paul.

AnotherJoe said:
Hopefully this will stop Apple from trying to claim they invented the smartphone/touchscreen/black rectangular devices with buttons.

Its not just Apple that Android needs defending against. Can this defend them against Oracle (for all the borrowed Java Schmidt brought with him from Sun) and the fact that most versions of Android dont adhere to the Linux Ts + Cs? And dont forget that Apple were suing Moto Mobile anyway.

The next few years are going to get very messy for Android. Google have stepped on a lot of toes.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Star Tac was VERY popular back in the day. Sadly, there is pretty much no demand for flip phones anymore; at least not in all the focus groups I've sat through.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I've just heard on sky news that apple has more money in the bank, than the united states, although i don't dis-like apple i think it is time apple had some competition.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts