Interesting demo of some speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Bass is the hardest thing to get right

If you move speakers away from a boundary to combat a bass boom then you are more than likely making the rest of the bass worse or less powerful at the very least but your hands are tied because bass boom is horrible to listen to.

I think an av pre amp is likely not as good as a stereo pre amp of equivalent cost.
However as it's all a game of trade offs I think I would trade that % of sound quality for the benefits mentioned and the ability to watch films as well.

I don't blame anyone else for not doing that though.

Other speakers to consider - I will add my list to this shortly

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Remember that the New Refs have different length Port Tubes, which effects how the Bass sounds. If you have another demo, try it both ways.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I am not too fussed with the bass performance - I have stereo subs that I will use for predominant bass.

Knowing my room that is how it has to be - however with a different speaker design like the REF 3 which is a Driver Tweeter Driver array - they might give better performance into a lower range than I currently use with my MA PL100's

I crossover into stereo subs at 150hz which will seem high to a lot of people - however its necessary for a full range sound in this room. All the potential negatives of high crossovers I have overcome and nobody who hears the system says I hear bass coming from your subs. My bass is one of my systems strongest attributes actually - its gone from the worst to one of the best - took a lot of work and time though.

Other speakers to consider and listen to at least are -

· FOCAL

· MA PLAT MK2

· ATC

· PMC

· Neat - possibly not sure if they do HC speakers

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I think you touched on most things I experienced when doing hifi demo. I dn't get why most hifi systems sound thin. This is becoming more and more prominent.

I have always mentioned this from time to time. I am beginning to suspect it's done purposely to grab attention as suppose to sound like real instruments.

If a kick drum is recorded to sound boomy then the system should play it back boomy. I listened to the Arcam av850 with room correct on, and instruments sounded so real, was very impressed. Having said that, putting in the Arcam A49 2 channel just added more depth and control to the sound. Unless you have them side by side it's difficult to notice any difference between an av amp & 2 channel amp.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Your comparing a receiver there to a dedicated 2 channel amp.

I run a pre and power setup which is the same as running a pre and power for stereo - these are of differing qualities as always.

But having more going on in both boxes will always come at a cost - thats the %% I have to give up and try and make them up elsewhere.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
From your photos - how many of us can bring speakers that far into the room? Is it unfair to present an unrealistic listening room? Just a first thought!
That's something that bugs me everytime I see photos posted up of dealers demo rooms or demo days. It may well get the very best out of that system in that room, but virtually no one can bring a speaker out a metre or two into a room! I never put speakers any more than about a foot or two from our "walls" (inverted commas because they're not really solid walls as such).

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Cheers Electro - I might look at them they dont really go in with what I have done to date and spent a forune on - thats my only reservation with a change like that - it requires other investment on top of the investment but not ruling that out.

I have improved things quite considerably since you was here a few weeks ago - tightened things up even more, and changed the balance - less forward mid range - much wider stage and balanced better as well. I have got other stuff going on soon as well - I never stop

A goal for improvement would be getting actual true depth to the sound - by this I mean sound going beyond the speakers with actual authenticity that is all I would want to add to this presentation - so you can look right into the recording as Cno put it - thats the appeal presently of the Kef Ref's. I am pretty happy apart from that.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Your comparing a receiver there to a dedicated 2 channel amp.

I run a pre and power setup which is the same as running a pre and power for stereo - these are of differing qualities as always.

But having more going on in both boxes will always come at a cost - thats the %% I have to give up and try and make them up elsewhere.
I agree with you. The problem being most are trying to avoid having to deal with too many boxes. Very few av amps do music really well. It all boils dwn to what we are willing to sacrifice or gain. I dnt think its a do or die difference to be honest.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts