Integrated wireless DAC and amplifier?

jas0_0

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi there,

I currently have an Arcam Alpha 7 amplifier, an Arcam rDac wireless, Arcam rWave wireless transmitter, a Macbook Air and Mission 773e speakers.

I am looking to upgrade the amp.

My budget is up to £600 and so far I like the look of the Arcam A19, the Rega Brio-R, Naim Nait 5i and Cambridge CXA60.

However, I was wondering if it's possible to use my home wifi network and just have three hifi units - laptop, integrated amp/DAC and speakers - and do away with the effective, but slightly clumsy, rWave dongle protruding from the Macbook.

I guess what I'm looking for is an integrated DAC/amp that can receive wirelessly the signal from laptop without the need for a dongle, allowing me to play anything (itunes/youtube/Spotify etc) on my laptop, through my speakers. Is this possible or is there a workaround? Any suggestions gratefully received,

Thanks,

James

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I'd look for an amp with AirPlay. Either that or use an airport express or Apple TV feeding a DAC, which could be tucked away out of sight rather than having a dongle sticking out of your computer.

D

Deleted member 116933

Hi there

I thought you Rdac did that already(sorry if not to lazy to google it) There are amps in your price range that will do that for example the NAD d3020 and its bigger brother. Also the rotel ra 11/12 would be good, again well within budget.

The older NADs i feel worked well with Mission. I had a 320bbe (or is it Bee) with m74i (arguably missions last great buget speaker range) and it gave a very forceful and potent sound that was way above its price point but how mission sound with the newer NAD's i dont know same goes Rotel, you would need to try and get a demo on your speakers to find out.

I think the Rega and Naim on your list are brilliant and a massive step up from what you currently have. However if your looking to go digital with Naim you need to looking further up the range at there V1 Dac and Nap 100 power amp. Its a very good system but all together more money. Though you could off set the cost slightly by trading in your components no longer need though i think it would be smashing your budget completly.

Digital is the future and i think you would get great joy from any of the above. But I think the NAD and Rotel are really your best bet if its digital you wanted.

D

Deleted member 116933

Having just said the above another option would be to look the Naim unitiqute for which there is one currently on ebay for 700 buy it now. Its everything your asking for and then some

jas0_0

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for this - if I replaced my Arcam amp/rDAC/rWave combo with an Airport Express or Apple TV connected digitally to an integrated DAC/Amp, how would sound quality compare when playing lossless files on iTunes?

D

Deleted member 116933

Yes no other tech/boxes what so ever....Youtube you would need to hook up your tv/mac to one of the digital inputs to hear that content and you need to download a UPnP server for the mac so it can read your itunes libary (asset is good and free) but later you could get yourself a cheap NAS so your computer hasn't got to be on all the time. It can all be controlled from an ipad/phone as well. It also has Spotify built in so that can also be controlled from ipad/phone as well. With naim's own app.

And thats it. One box to rule them all

Its very comprihensive. I use its bigger brother the Uniti 2

D

Deleted member 116933

jas0_0 said:
Thanks for this - if I replaced my Arcam amp/rDAC/rWave combo with an Airport Express or Apple TV connected digitally to an integrated DAC/Amp, how would sound quality compare when playing lossless files on iTunes?

You can't play lossy audio through the apple tv i believe and airplay you defo can't it has a restricted bandwidth you really need a streamer like the unitiqute which will handle everything you throw at it. But will also handle legacy conections such as CD players. But also has the abiltity to be hooked up to blu ray players and tv's through it digital conections. Win Win you won't look back if you purchase one

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
AirPlay used lossless compression so can handle up to CD quality files as well as lower bitrates. Hi rez files get down sampled.

Personally I'd try it with your current DAC if the dongle is your main concern. The ATV and DAC can be tucked away out of sight.

the Naim is a neat solution too and can handle high resolution files. Combined with a NAS and controlled from a smart device it's pretty hard to beat for convenience and the way it bundles everything together neatly. In comparison the Apple setup is more cheap and cheerful. Don't underestimate the sound quality. It can also be controlled from an app.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts