Integrated for Kudos C2?

jakja83

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I am in the search for a new amp to match my Kudos C2s. I have tried Naim, but feel the aren`t transparent enough and I want a bit smoother sound. I listen a lot to jazz and acoustic music, but also like to let them punch away with some decent bass lines.

I have been looking at stuff like marantz, arcam, the new musical fidelity m3i but not quite sure what to get.

I tried the Roksan K2, but it didn`t control the speakers properly, the bass sounded very hollow and boxy with the Roksan unit compared to the Nait 5i.

Any suggestions?

A

Anonymous

How about a Quad 909 with 99 pre? Plenty of power, very smooth and can cope with difficult loads.

A

Anonymous

jakja83:It is a fair bit above my price range. Either component costs more than a nait 5i...

Sure, and it's not an integrated either...

The Cambridge Audio 840 is nice and powerful, not very coloured, well built and well priced.

matthewpiano

A forum member who hasn't been about for a while (JoelSim) had a pair of C2s and seemed to have great success driving them with Audio Analogue amplification. I seem to recall he also enjoyed them on the end of his Arcam A85 prior to getting the AA amp. I can't remember which model of AA he has, but its worth investigating.

matthewpiano

Chebby, I agree with some of what you say but your insinuation that Arcam is all about smoothness is just wrong. My system has loads of bite and attack when it is needed. Not all Arcam gear sounds like the Solo Mini.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
It's not clear what your budget is, but can I suggest you consider a Primare i30? Should be able to pick up ex dem for not much more than £1000, available new (because of new model) for around £1500. It is very detailed and transparent, some would say it is on the 'smooth' side but is punchy when required and deals well with dynamics.

matthewpiano

chebby:
matthewpiano:Chebby, I agree with some of what you say but your insinuation that Arcam is all about smoothness is just wrong. My system has loads of bite and attack when it is needed. Not all Arcam gear sounds like the Solo Mini.

Actually my old Solo-Mini was the least smooth sounding Arcam I have heard. (The smoothest was the old A65 a friend used to own before his Primare i30.)

I auditioned the A18/CD17 once (just before I bought the Naim stuff) when exploring upgrades, and that just oozed into Audio-T's demo lounge carpet with a pair of Focal floorstanders on the end of them! The Solo-Mini actually showed them up.

Fair enough. All personal taste at the end of the day. I tried the Naim 5i again when I bought the Arcam and I thought the Arcam was a better all-rounder. I think synergy plays a big part in these things and that, in Dali, I have probably found the perfect loudspeaker manufacturer for Arcam electronics.

If we were all the same hi-fi would be boring...

jakja83:

I am in the search for a new amp to match my Kudos C2s. I have tried Naim, but feel the aren`t transparent enough and I want a bit smoother sound. I listen a lot to jazz and acoustic music, but also like to let them punch away with some decent bass lines.

I have been looking at stuff like marantz, arcam, the new musical fidelity m3i but not quite sure what to get.

I tried the Roksan K2, but it didn`t control the speakers properly, the bass sounded very hollow and boxy with the Roksan unit compared to the Nait 5i.

Any suggestions?

Not heard the Kudos speakers, but from recommendations on here and other reviews, it maybe worth trying Leema Pulse and Caspian M1 or 2. Although you weren't impressed with the Kandy, the Caspian has a more sophisticated [refined] bass and has lovely detail to match. Both the Pulse and Caspian is a league above the Kandy IM[humble]O.

chebby:

matthewpiano:Chebby, I agree with some of what you say but your insinuation that Arcam is all about smoothness is just wrong. My system has loads of bite and attack when it is needed. Not all Arcam gear sounds like the Solo Mini.

Actually my old Solo-Mini was the least smooth sounding Arcam I have heard. (The smoothest was the old A65 a friend used to own before his Primare i30.)

I auditioned the A18/CD17 once (just before I bought the Naim stuff) when exploring upgrades, and that just oozed into Audio-T's demo lounge carpet with a pair of Focal floorstanders on the end of them! The Solo-Mini actually showed them up.

From personal experience of the A65 Plus (with MAs), there are far smoother amps for around that sort of money - Marantz 7200 for example - but I believe the old tag of Arcam being "warm" and "smooth" doesn't relate to my experiences.

BTW, love the Avatar. The Handley-Page Victor was an amasing aircraft with the 'Nuke' bomber fleet.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:BTW, love the Avatar. The Handley-Page Victor was an amasing aircraft with the 'Nuke' bomber fleet.

Yep. It is time for the change to something that reflects my new 2011 mood.

jakja83

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Ok,what about:

Arcam A18? (Cheap alternative)

Creek Evo 5350 or Evo2?

Primare I30 (Can be had for 990 now with I32 being released)

A

Anonymous

I have a pair of Kudos C20 powered by an Arcam AVR600 sounds great. I was led to believe the A38 sounds simular to the AVR600 although i haven't had a listen to one. The C2 are great speakers i had a demo of them before i bought the C20. Hope this is of some help, Gary

TRENDING THREADS