Integrated Amplifiers

wrayster

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi

I currently have a Dual 505-2 turntable connected via a Rega Fono Mini A2D to a Yamaha surround sound amp with Q Acoustic Concept 20 speakers. I also use airplay on the Amp to stream music from my Mac Mini.

I generally listen to Rock/Indie music, with some jazz and classical as well.

I'm looking to buy an integrated amplifier for stereo listening. I will be able to connected my computer to it via a Lindy DAC so dont think I need an inbuilt DAC in the amp.

My dilema is what amp to buy(LOL)? My budget is around £250. I'm thinking of getting something secondhand presuming this might get me a slightly better amp than if I bought brand new.

Options I'm considering are:

Cyrus 3, Roksan Kandy KA1 MKiii, Tag Mclaren P60, Audiolab 8000a, Pioneer A-400, Linn Intek Amplifier, Rotel RA-05.

I understand that the only really way to tell if I like the sound of any oif these amps is to hear them but obviously when buying secondhand this isnt always possible.

Any recommendations would be most apprecaited.

Many thanks

wrayster said:
Hi

I currently have a Dual 505-2 turntable connected via a Rega Fono Mini A2D to a Yamaha surround sound amp with Q Acoustic Concept 20 speakers. I also use airplay on the Amp to stream music from my Mac Mini.

I generally listen to Rock/Indie music, with some jazz and classical as well.

I'm looking to buy an integrated amplifier for stereo listening. I will be able to connected my computer to it via a Lindy DAC so dont think I need an inbuilt DAC in the amp.

My dilema is what amp to buy(LOL)? My budget is around £250. I'm thinking of getting something secondhand presuming this might get me a slightly better amp than if I bought brand new.

Options I'm considering are:

Cyrus 3, Roksan Kandy KA1 MKiii, Tag Mclaren P60, Audiolab 8000a, Pioneer A-400, Linn Intek Amplifier, Rotel RA-05.

I understand that the only really way to tell if I like the sound of any oif these amps is to hear them but obviously when buying secondhand this isnt always possible.

Any recommendations would be most apprecaited.

Many thanks

Can you explain why you want to go second-hand? Unless you know what you are looking at, and as you say you cannot often get to audition them, you could end up with something on it's last legs. Many of those you mention are quite old.

Why not buy a new amp with the benefits of warranty and audition potential? Something like the Onkyo 9010 for instance, it's certainly better than the A400 and a couple of others on your list, in my opinion.

wrayster

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

i was considering going second hand as I thought I might get something a bit more "up market" and better sounding for the budget I have.

I have read some good reviews about the onkyo but the reviews also say the Marantz PMs are even better for a bit more money. Also the Yamaha as500 seems to get some good reviews. However I just thought a second hand Cyrus or alternative might give a more refined detailed sound. Which amps on my list would you say might sound better than the onkyo?

thanks again.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Clicky on the ebay link in post #6 from this thread:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/dead-amp-wanted-hifi-junk

Buy an amp for £0.99 to £10.

Laugh if it ever breaks down and buy another amp for £0.99 to £10.

Wrayster, the battle-ground for improving the sound of your system is in the vinyl source and the speakers. Not the amplification.

insider9

I'd also recommend Onkyo A9010 which I owned. Even better that it has a decent phono stage and you'd be able to sell yours. I'd go as far as saying that too me it sounded better than a more pricy Marantz and more musical than Yamaha you are considering.

Arcam A85 can be definitely had in your budget. I sold mine on Monday for £250. If you're listening to rock it's possible that you will not enjoy Arcam A85 as a long term solution though. I'm not going to go into all the details why but feel free to look into my thread as I've explained it there in depth. It is a great amp though if you like the presentation.

Vector

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
There have been some great integrated amps over the years. If you fancy something less common bar also highly capable, you could look out for the Onix OA21, the Inca Tech Claymore, The Myst Tma3, the Alchemist Kraken or even the Ion Obelisk 3. All are fantastic amps and they are also built to a high standard.

wrayster

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
I'd also recommend Onkyo A9010 which I owned. Even better that it has a decent phono stage and you'd be able to sell yours. I'd go as far as saying that too me it sounded better than a more pricy Marantz and more musical than Yamaha you are considering.

Arcam A85 can be definitely had in your budget. I sold mine on Monday for £250. If you're listening to rock it's possible that you will not enjoy Arcam A85 as a long term solution though. I'm not going to go into all the details why but feel free to look into my thread as I've explained it there in depth. It is a great amp though if you like the presentation.

So any ideas on what amps better the A9010? How much more would one have to spend to get something significantly better?

insider9

wrayster said:
insider9 said:

Arcam A85 can be definitely had in your budget. I sold mine on Monday for £250. If you're listening to rock it's possible that you will not enjoy Arcam A85 as a long term solution though. I'm not going to go into all the details why but feel free to look into my thread as I've explained it there in depth. It is a great amp though if you like the presentation.

So any ideas on what amps better the A9010? How much more would one have to spend to get something significantly better?

It really depends on what sonic qualities you're looking for. If you already know give us a hint as you have such a mix of amps on your list I don't know anyone knows what sound you're after. What kind of sound you like will matter more than anyone's opinion.

Best suggestion is go and audition some new amps with speakers you got. Don't worry too much about budget. See what kind of sound suits you and the music you like. Write down what you particularly like/dislike about each amp. Once you get that info come back and you're likely to narrow down your search massively.

Otherwise people will just throw models at you that fit your budget and confused
you even more.

Vector

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
wrayster said:
insider9 said:

I'd expect any of the ones I listed to better it. They would also sell for the same as you paid, if not more, should you ever wish to upgrade. If you want to spend more on an integrated, the Sugden A21a is highly detailed, as is the lesser known Sonneteer Campion. If you fancy valves, look out for a Croft Integrated. Again, you will lose nothing if and when you upgrade.

wrayster

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Vector said:
wrayster said:
insider9 said:

I'd expect any of the ones I listed to better it. They would also sell for the same as you paid, if not more, should you ever wish to upgrade. If you want to spend more on an integrated, the Sugden A21a is highly detailed, as is the lesser known Sonneteer Campion. If you fancy valves, look out for a Croft Integrated. Again, you will lose nothing if and when you upgrade.

Hi Vector

Thanks for this. I did have a look on ebay for each of the amps you mentioned. Not much about at the moment. I saw an Onix but it was a fair bit more than budget.

wrayster

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice.

I'm currently sat listening to my new Onkyo 9010! I apprecaite the encouragment some of you gave me to consider this amp. I have to admit I was a bit sceptical at first but I saw a heavily discounted bundle deal that also included a pair of Dali Sensor 3's, I couldnt resist. I thought the Dali's might give me a bit more bass which seemed to be lacking from my Concept 20's. As the shop didnt have the colour I wanted in stock I have to wait for the speakers to be delivered. So I've hooked up my Concept 20's and oh what a difference this amp has made to the sound. There's more bass, lots of detail. It's just very very enjoyable listening, almost addictive going through my music collection picking out different genres. This combo gets on really well with anything I throw at it.

So I'm very very pleased. Maybe one day I'll think about upgrading but for now I'm just going to enjoying listening!

insider9

wrayster said:

I'm currently sat listening to my new Onkyo 9010! I apprecaite the encouragment some of you gave me to  consider this amp. I have to admit I was a bit sceptical at first but I saw a heavily discounted bundle deal that also included a pair of Dali Sensor 3's, I couldnt resist. I thought the Dali's might give me a bit more bass which seemed to be lacking from my Concept 20's. As the shop didnt have the colour I wanted in stock I have to wait for the speakers to be delivered. So I've hooked up my Concept 20's and oh what a difference this amp has made to the sound. There's more bass, lots of detail. It's just very very enjoyable listening, almost addictive going through my music collection picking out different genres. This combo gets on really well with anything I throw at it. 

So I'm very very pleased. Maybe one day I'll think about upgrading but for now I'm just going to enjoying listening!
Congrats on the purchase! Zensor 3s go really well with Onkyo. You have a very musical system :) Enjoy!

wrayster

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
wrayster said:

I'm currently sat listening to my new Onkyo 9010! I apprecaite the encouragment some of you gave me to consider this amp. I have to admit I was a bit sceptical at first but I saw a heavily discounted bundle deal that also included a pair of Dali Sensor 3's, I couldnt resist. I thought the Dali's might give me a bit more bass which seemed to be lacking from my Concept 20's. As the shop didnt have the colour I wanted in stock I have to wait for the speakers to be delivered. So I've hooked up my Concept 20's and oh what a difference this amp has made to the sound. There's more bass, lots of detail. It's just very very enjoyable listening, almost addictive going through my music collection picking out different genres. This combo gets on really well with anything I throw at it.

Congrats on the purchase! Zensor 3s go really well with Onkyo. You have a very musical system :) Enjoy!

thanks, I just have to decide which speakers to keep and which ones to sell!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts