Integrated Amplifier and Stand mount Speakers for music and movies

horiskp

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi all.

I need help. My Q-Acoustics Q-AV soundbar is weak, the subwoofer gave up after about a year and my Sony AV receiver hums like an electrical substation. Add to the mix a very fussy wife who would like all stereo equipment to be no larger than a packet of Rizlas or worst case. Swan Vestas.

So to replace the current (sort of) 5.1 setup, I've decided to go to Integrated Amplifier and Standmounts (+ subwoofer) for music and movies. This might be sacrilege but I am happy living without the "surround" and struggling for options. Looking at the great reviews recently I am wondering if the new Cyrus One amp + Quad S-1 would work? Or the new Dynaudio M10?

If I sound confused, it's because I am. Any advice, help, experience VERY welcome.

Cheers. Paul

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
It might help if you let us know what sources you are planning to use for "music and movies" ... Smart TV? DVD/Blu-Ray player? CD? Internet Radio? Streaming Services e.g. Spotify? etc.

horiskp

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Good point Tino.

Fairly simple stuff. Smart Tv and Sonos/Spotify. Might be nice to bluetooth from phone but not a dealbreaker.

Cheers. Paul

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
horiskp said:
Good point Tino.

Fairly simple stuff. Smart Tv and Sonos/Spotify. Might be nice to bluetooth from phone but not a dealbreaker.

Cheers. Paul

Maybe something like a Marantz MCR 511 which is a small network streamer with built in amplification, Spotify and Bluetooth. Has digital optical input and subwoofer output. Not sure what speakers/sub to recommend though.

rainsoothe

Hi. If you can budget for it, check a (maybe used or ex-dem) Naim Unitiqute 2. It has its own internal amp + pre outs, so you can use a sub with it if needed. Quad Vena is also worth a look, if you don't need streaming. Only sticking to shoe-box designs here, by the way. Careful with partnering speakers, though - don't go by reviews alone, you should audition for yourself, or at least have the possibility of returning the stuff. The UQ2 + Dynaudio Emit 10 should be a very good match, or Quad Vena + Monitor Audio Silver 2 - or something long the lines (something smoother sounding).

manix

May 31, 2016
Visit site
I have mentioned these recently in another post but the Dali Menuet are pretty amazing for the size and the bass is way beyond what you would expect. They really are worth the £800 asking price and wife friendly especially in the gloss white. Definetly worth an audition.

TRENDING THREADS