Integrated amp/DAC/bass management

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
K

keeper of the quays

dedier said:
keeper of the quays said:
I use mine with a quad 909 power amp..my friend uses it with a sub and his quad esl..the htp sits between Linn sondek and Cyrus transport/dac and his naim amplification..it is amazing..secondhand pre amp bargain! There's a review on google..i wouldn't have bothered as I'm a bit of a hifi purist..but after listening to my mates one..i bought one..

I believe it works fine if you say so, but it’s not what I’m looking for. Not even close. I have a feeling you didn’t even read my first post. I’m looking for a stereo integrated amp and you’re recommending a home cinema processor with no amplification (from what I gather from the manual). *smile* you could have recommend me a microwave while we’re at it! *smile*
I haven't had much luck with microwaves, bought a Panasonic as it had good reviews..the carousel is malfunctioning! Those great big old microwaves seem to go on forever? Sorry I did try to read your post but the microwave started making grinding sound! Lol..hope you find what your looking for.. :)

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
dedier said:
I see you take time in trying to help me on my quest and I appreciate this. However, don’t take me as ungrateful, but what your advice translates to is: stop pursuing that and buy this. This is totally legit, but I’m not giving up yet.

That's fine. I ran out of suggestions though.

Good luck!

dedier

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
DocG said:

Good luck!

No worries! If I don't find my 'dream-amp' *smile* I'm going with a sub that has a decent crossover that you recommended. I even set my eyes on one, the 2070 sub from QAcoustics. That one seems to have it all together with good price and good reviews.

I'll still look around before I decide to go with a sub. I still hope I'll find some exotic Danish/French/German etc. brand that tried to fill this niche.

To tell you the truth, I know a lot of producers read What HiFi, I even hope they might find interest in this. It makes more sense to integrate your PC this way then to have some network players since your PC is a network player. And since all those kids' rooms where they set their work stations usually sport desktop speakers that do poorly under 60Hz, they just need to add a sub out (for an active sub) but include an option to set what sub plays and what satellites play. It would be silly to send the entire signal into satellites, they might 'fart' even with sub included. It is usually a small room so 2.1 make much more sense than any towers. Sound result may give some headache even to the best of them.

read you around DocG

dedier

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
DocG said:

Well, nearly out of suggestions, that is...

How about a Bluesound Powernode2? When used with a subwoofer, the crossover (which is fixed at 80 Hz) sends only the >80Hz content to your main speakers (which is what you'd like, right?).

The power amp section (2 x 60 W into 8 Ohm) is Hypex UcD. Very robust yet refined, and capable of driving low impedance speakers.

There's no USB-B input, but you can use the LAN-port or Wifi to connect to your network. So your pc needn't be so close to the amp.

You can control it using the touch panel on top, or any IR-remote (for basic functions), and it has an excellent app for iOS, android, Mac and Windows.

I know it's a multiroom device, but IMO it's also a very fine streamer/DAC/amp in its own right. I haven't tried the combination with my LS50s yet, but I think the Powernode2 would drive them very well.

And at €900, it's within budget, no? EDIT: nearly within budget. 900 EUR = 720 GBP... *pardon*

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Iam not a audiophile. But I recently bought a power node gen 1 for 350 pounds . And I also bought a qacoustics q7000i speaker package for my home theatre duites. As iam presently on a boat, and still a month away from getting back home. Iam presently using the q7000lri and the sub with my power node on board. The powenode is a beautiful sounding amp / streamer rolled into one. I bet seperates would sound better, as remarked in several reviews. But the convenience is very good. You get three options under speaker management , without sub, with sub , and finally with bluesound duo. With sub applies cross over at 80hz. And bluesound is not declaring the cross over set with the bluesound duo. Except that it recommends putting the cross over and loudness both at 12 o'clock. So this might fulfill your requirement. But sadly there is no USB in for playing from your laptop. Though you can plug in external hard drives, and stream or okay music over Ethernet or WiFi. But do audition the system before you decide, because as I said in the start, iam a bit deaf in my ears, and dumb in between :)

soltan80

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
I own NAD D3020, it can play really loud despite 30W (NAD amps have much more power than shown in the specs)
There is subwoofer output with 80Hz crossover, interated DAC with 1 coaxial, 2 optical and 1 USB input, interated bluetooth. Sevenoaks are accepting offers for £300 on ebay.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts