Insurance: Mission 78 series like for like replacement

Sliced Bread

My 1 year old son has kindly puhed over one of nmy mission 782's and I've decided to claim on the insurance(first claim in 7 years).
Problem is, I'm having trouble agreeing a suitable value for the speakers.

The package consisted of:
1 pair mission 782 (£700)
1 pair mission 780 (£300)
1 mission 78c (£350)
Total £1350

Mission have confirmed that they cannot be repaired as the wooden cabinets are not available. Also as it is a package all five speakers should be replaced or the sound and visual style will not match. However at the moment the insurance company have proposed that they will replace the front pair only in the package, and that would be with a pair of mission M34i speakers (£300) which are two ranges below the 78 series replacements the 79 series.

I have asked mission to state what they feel is a suitable replacement, however I would appreciate any suggestions from forum members and especially from WHF staff as to an equivalent package would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I feel for you, my toddler scratched down the screen of my plasma a couple of years ago and they tried to offer me a inferior product quoting contrast ratios and features of a newer model, much lower end, like they are trying to do to you. Hold out and eventually they will give in I'm sure, just bombard them With as many emails and phones with your side.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
They tried same with my brothers av amp. £1200 new but offered a £350 replacement but said it had more features so it was on par!! However Sevenoaks wrote him a statement saying which new model replaced his 6yr old model in terms of performance and components. He ended up getting a cheque for the exact amount of £1125 which had his excess taken out.

Hold in there and get what you need!!

T

the record spot

Is it so bad you can't live with it? If the drivers are okay and it's only cosmetic, I'd live with it. Replacing like for like is - for me - off the radar and the risk you run with kids. Unless you've a protected no claims bonus deal, I'd seriously think twice about it. Chances are you'll find something you can pick up off Gumtree or Ebay and then you'd have a spare if the little 'un repeats the exercise.

Joking aside, we bought our 752s for £80 off Ebay and I wouldn't be spending any more until they're grown up and responsible enough. Buying £1000 quids worth of new speaker with a toddler running around is perhaps not the best spend (and you might find your insurer won't entertain another more serious claim down the line).

My sympathies though - they're good speakers and my little son did the same about six months ago to both of my 752s when he was told he couldn't get something. Oops!

Sliced Bread

I see your point record spot, I think I will position the next set so they are difficult to access.
I have a like for like policy and the insurance company should honour that. Any thoughts in what would be an equivalent package in today market (excluding sub). rx6av perhaps?

TRENDING THREADS